DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lady threw a rock at my drone

maxapeters

Reactions
So interesting story, I was out flying tonight on the beach, in a legal airspace. There were no advisories, airspace’s or restrictions anywhere near me, so it was a 100% legal flight

In addition, I was flying out over the ocean to avoid flying over people in any way. A lady with her dog walks up near my drone, picks up a rock and chucks it at the drone. She misses and picks up another, missing again. My drone was well over 30ft in the air so she luckily didn’t hit it. I was flying several hundred feet away and didn’t have the chance to chase her down, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought might’ve happened if she had hit and broke the drone.

I assume that if the drone was damaged, she would at least be responsible for the damage. Is that true? I just want to learn as much as I can so I’m prepared to educate people on potential charges they may face for harassing part 107 pilots.

I assume the rules for rocks are the same as for a gun, if someone shoots your drone out of the sky, you are looking at a felony potentially as it's legally the same as shooting a manned airplane out of the sky

Personally, I wouldn't want to go through any of that, I would just want them to either pay to repair or replace my drone

Idk the rules for other countries, I only have knowledge about the US

I assume the rules for rocks are the same as for a gun, if someone shoots your drone out of the sky, you are looking at a felony potentially as it's legally the same as shooting a manned airplane out of the sky

Personally, I wouldn't want to go through any of that, I would just want them to either pay to repair or replace my drone

Idk the rules for other countries, I only have knowledge about the US

Good luck with that! As a former Oakland, CA cop, I can tell you the kind of person who would shoot your drone would be most unlikely, upon being caught, to react, "Oh, sorry, I don't know what I was thinking. Here, let me pay for that!".

You will doubtless have to go through all of, "any of that" to obtain redress.

Good luck with that! As a former Oakland, CA cop, I can tell you the kind of person who would shoot your drone would be most unlikely, upon being caught, to react, "Oh, sorry, I don't know what I was thinking. Here, let me pay for that!".

You will doubtless have to go through all of, "any of that" to obtain redress.
Judge Judy ;)

So interesting story, I was out flying tonight on the beach, in a legal airspace. There were no advisories, airspace’s or restrictions anywhere near me, so it was a 100% legal flight

In addition, I was flying out over the ocean to avoid flying over people in any way. A lady with her dog walks up near my drone, picks up a rock and chucks it at the drone. She misses and picks up another, missing again. My drone was well over 30ft in the air so she luckily didn’t hit it. I was flying several hundred feet away and didn’t have the chance to chase her down, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought might’ve happened if she had hit and broke the drone.

I assume that if the drone was damaged, she would at least be responsible for the damage. Is that true? I just want to learn as much as I can so I’m prepared to educate people on potential charges they may face for harassing part 107 pilots.

He who is without sin. Cast the first stone. [emoji12].

Reactions: bcfd29 and Stryder

People are angry and unhappy and simply a-holes. Call the police!

Reactions: Super Dave O

As far as I know it’s perfectly legal to harass part 107 pilots or any other pilot.
However damaging your drone or any other aircraft is a federal violation.

18 U.S.C. 32 (a) (5) states "Whoever willfully interferes with or disables, with intent to endanger the safety of any person or with a reckless disregard for the safety of human life, anyone engaged in the authorized operation of such aircraft or any air navigation facility aiding in the navigation of any such aircraft" shall be subject to imprisonment for no more than 20 years and/or fines up to $10,000".

In the State where I live, the mere act of throwing the rock(s) at the copter would be considered Breach of Peace. If contact with the copter is made, no doubt resulting in damage or possible loss, this would be Criminal Mischief, the degree of which is based on the level of monetary loss. Furthermore, if it could be articulated that persons on the ground were endangered as a possible result of the copter crashing, there could be an added charge of Reckless Endangerment, and since Serious Physical injury could be a possible outcome, this would be 1st Degree, and could be charged - like Breach of Peace above - regardless of whether the copter was actually struck or not.

That would be referred to as 'Throwing the Book' at this person, and I would not hesitate for even one second in doing so.

18 U.S.C. 32 (a) (5) states "Whoever willfully interferes with or disables, with intent to endanger the safety of any person or with a reckless disregard for the safety of human life, anyone engaged in the authorized operation of such aircraft or any air navigation facility aiding in the navigation of any such aircraft" shall be subject to imprisonment for no more than 20 years and/or fines up to $10,000".
I suppose harassment could be considered interference.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Unfortunately, 18 U.S.C. 32 (a) (5) only covers endangering "the safety of any person" or " reckless disregard for the safety of human life"(emphasis supplied). Thus it does not cover damage to property.

Ed, Esq.

Reactions: MS Coast
In Spain / Europe ... two things are illegal ...
1º) .- fly close (less than 30 meters / 100 ft. Approx.) To a person in a public place where that person is not aware of or knows their flight. And on one less beach (the image protection law comes into play LO 1/1982 of 5 May).
2º) .- No one can attack a drone in flight. Legally, it has the same consideration as the downing of any aircraft, and the mitigation of legitimate defense cannot be used (since it is not demonstrable).
The FAA considers the shooting down of drones a federal crime (art. 18 USC.32) ...
You can draw your own conclusions ...

People can be stupid and opinionated, (just like the issue of not wearing a mask in public, even though it's proven to help reduce the spread of Covid19). I would just raise up the drone another 30 to 40 feet, and keep on flying. If she could hit that high, then she is pretty strong. I assume she was not using a sling shot.

Sad that she felt felt that was the right thing to do, but I am not surprised at all by this type of behavior.

Paul C

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000