DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Lake in southern China

Heindrich1988

Reactions

Still a long way to go and a lot to learn, but glad to have produced my first video combining Mavic Air 2 footage with music, some basic cutting and editing with Premiere Pro.

Not really happy with the colour, especially in the opening scene, sky looks unnatural. Also don't like the shot flying into the sun. I'm considering trying to shoot HDR with ND filters instead, if it makes post-processing a bit easier.

Great locale. The challenge was time of day and orientation of sun relative to your primary subject. Typically, my flights into the sun are throwaway, edited out. You’re flying/filming from a very high altitude for the entire flight which doesn’t make for very cinematic video. But, the primary issue is your constant directional changes and gimbal actions.

I’d recommend you fly straight forward/back all of the time until you can execute very gentle sweeping turns. If you need to change direction, do it quickly and cut it out in post. Soften up your yaw settings (Advanced>EXP) and practice deliberate, gentle, sweeping turns with only the lightest touch on the left stick. You can also fly straight with a slight diagonal of 30-45 degrees using the right stick. Works well with a tilt up reveal.

You can achieve the most dramatic/cinematic effects with the gimbal tilt, but you first need to soften your gimbal responsiveness down near the lowest setting to start, otherwise initiation and release is too abrupt.

Identify interesting subjects in your locale and think about the best ways to capture them. Get closer, fly lower, slower and use the gimbal. Film the subject a variety of different ways, altitudes and distances. You can get 6-8 cuts in succession out of the same subject by changing up the composition.

When using a downward gimbal tilt, initiate it first by increasing altitude, then as you tilt gimbal down to focus on a subject or feature, maintain the axial relationship with the centerpoint of rotation (on the subject). Conversely, a gimbal tilt up is initiated by a decrease in elevation. You can accomplish a lot with simply flying straight and using gimbal tilt.

Another very simple shot is flying straight and slow or stationary with gimbal straight down. It always looks cool and provides great contrasting clips in an edit. When editing your video, the key is to use contrasting shots and compositions that look markedly different than the shot that precedes it. Follow a straight forward shot with a straight back. Follow a tilt down with a tilt up. Combine them for a straight back gimbal tilt up to a straight forward gimbal tilt down.

The intelligent POI is one of the most useful and cinematic shots and can be captured multiple times at varied distances then cut together in post as wide>tight>wide>tight. You can also pull away from the subject in POI for a spiral effect. Use speed ramping to shorten the length of time for the clip.

Speed ramping is a great way to travel a distance between origin and destination quickly so viewers aren’t bored, anxious to get to the destination. But, it necessitates flying straight or in POI, otherwise it looks jerky sped up.

I’m not sure what you mean by shooting HDR using ND filters. ND filters are simply for optimizing your shutter speed and ISO. While I do use AEB for capturing multiple exposures to ensure I have at least a single image I can work with in Lightroom, I never use HDR software to process them.

As far as HDR video, it’s not going to fix issues of bad lighting due to time of day and orientation relative to the sun. This guy has a pretty good explanation in this YouTube.

Last edited:
Great locale. The challenge was time of day and orientation of sun relative to your primary subject. Typically, my flights into the sun are throwaway, edited out. You’re flying/filming from a very high altitude for the entire flight which doesn’t make for very cinematic video. But, the primary issue is your constant directional changes and gimbal actions.

I’d recommend you fly straight forward/back all of the time until you can execute very gentle sweeping turns. If you need to change direction, do it quickly and cut it out in post. Soften up your yaw settings (rudder) and practice deliberate, gentle, sweeping turns with only the lightest touch on the left stick.

You can achieve the most dramatic/cinematic effects with the gimbal tilt, but you first need to soften your gimbal responsiveness down near the lowest setting to start, otherwise initiation and release is too abrupt.

Identify interesting subjects in your locale and think about the best ways to capture them. Get closer, fly lower, slower and use the gimbal. Film the subject a variety of different ways, altitudes and distances. You can get 6-8 cuts in succession out of the same subject by changing up the composition.

When using a downward gimbal tilt, initiate it first by increasing altitude, then as you tilt gimbal down to focus on a subject or feature, maintain the axial relationship with the centerpoint of rotation (on the subject). Conversely, a gimbal tilt up is initiated by a decrease in elevation. You can accomplish a lot with simply flying straight and using gimbal tilt.

Another very simple shot is flying straight and slow with gimbal straight down. It always looks cool and provides great contrasting clips in an edit. When editing your video, the key is to use contrasting shots and compositions that look markedly different than the shot that precedes it. Follow a straight forward shot with a straight back. Follow a tilt down with a tilt up. Combine them for a straight back gimbal tilt up to a straight forward gimbal tilt down.

The intelligent POI is one of the most useful and cinematic shots and can be captured multiple times at varied distances then cut together in post as wide>tight>wide>tight. You can also pull away from the subject in POI for a spiral effect. Use speed ramping to shorten the length of time for the clip.

Speed ramping is a great way to travel a distance between origin and destination quickly so viewers aren’t bored, anxious to get to the destination. But, it necessitates flying straight or in POI, otherwise it looks jerky sped up.

I’m not sure what you mean by shooting HDR using ND filters. ND filters are simply for optimizing your shutter speed and ISO. While I do use AEB for capturing multiple exposures to ensure I have at least a single image I can work with in Lightroom, I never use HDR software to process them.

As far as HDR video, it’s not going to fix issues of bad lighting due to time of day and orientation relative to the sun. This guy has a pretty good explanation in this YouTube.

Thanks so much for such a detailed response! It took me some time to absorb it and watch the linked video.

• Firstly, I totally agree with you that there's too much jerkey sideways and up and down camera movement. I am used to flying in Normal mode getting from A to B, but perhaps I should switch to Tripod mode when I actually shoot something. I certainly don't yet have the fine motor control to pan smoothly on Normal.
  • Flying too high is a symptom of my inexperience as a pilot. I still don't trust myself to fly lower than tree or building height. But I appreciate I need to get braver to capture better footage.
  • I actually figured out how to adjust gimbal responsiveness and smoothness, but it's quite hard to have one setting that feels responsive enough when I want to fly fast(ish) and remains smooth when I want to take cinematic panning shots. I guess I should learn to switch between Tripod and Normal.
  • Actually I think I need to change the way I approach the whole shoot. Currently I haven't progressed much from flying around quite aimlessly and just leave the camera running. I think it's probably because the first few drone YouTubers I really liked watching made videos of their entire flights mostly unedited from take-off to landing. I think there's a cool authenticity with showing the full course of a flight. But of course, that's not the norm for aerial videography.
  • To be honest, I haven't even tried active tracking yet... Must look into it.
  • Thanks for the tip on speed ramping. Will look into how to do it on Premiere Pro. I think just learning to cut more and leave shorter clips would help too. I've gotten feedback from my drone club saying that my 4min video should be around 1min. That'd certainly reduce the amount of "not much happening on screen".
  • As I understood it, HDR automatically adjusts exposure of light and dark areas to retain detail for both. The following video included some clips that I thought looked really nice, and was what I was hoping to achieve flying behind that boat into the sun...

• I guess the conclusion is that if I want to shoot beautiful cinematic videos, I need to stop the mentality of "fly and record"... and instead fly up with an idea of what I want to capture, with the correct settings for that particular shot, and capture a large number of shorter clips to stitch together in post. Instead of trying to find one set of settings (filter, ISO, shutter, HDR etc...) and using it for everything.

Well, I’m anxious to see some video of your locales in China.

On your first point regarding tripod...
You rarely ever need to use tripod mode. It’s too slow. Normal mode is fine. Tripod mode is more for tighter shots and other specific purposes. You can fly sport mode as well, but you have to fly straight without any yaw movement if you’re intending to speed ramping. With practice, you’ll eventually be able to do those slow turns. Soften your rudder settings a lot. You rarely need to make sharp turns and they always get cut out. I’ve found that even if I’m drifting off my intended line, it’s ALWAYS better to continue my line. A straight flight slightly off line always looks better than attempting a course correction... often looks better to fly askew and cross road or path lines than matching the direction of the line.

Second point regarding altitude...
You can still fly above tree height and have footage that looks closer than you actually are. If all of your shots are with the horizon in the distance and no foreground, it doesn’t create any drama. Revealing the entire landscape in the beginning of the video leaves nothing to the imagination. When you plan shots and cut your video, consider a progressive realization. Gimbal tilts are the easiest way to create drama, particularly for novice pilots.

Third point re: gimbal response...
I have my settings almost all the way down to the lowest setting. It’s still plenty responsive even when barely touching the wheel. Gimbal tilts need to be slow, otherwise you won’t be able to maintain the axis from center point of rotation. The elevation change also helps maintain that axis. The thing about panorama shots along the horizon is it sounds like a cool idea, but it’s not. It’s too much movement along the distant horizon. Perhaps tripod mode would slow down the lateral movement, but I’d only use 1 or 2 Very short panos towards the end after you’ve Progressively revealed your scenes.

Fourth point regarding flight planning...
I use Google satellite and 3D when available to scope out the prominent subjects and topography. Pick out your primary subjects and how you want to film and reveal them. Land forms/features, prominent structures, bridges, highway interchanges, marinas, temples/churches, etc. I’m filming pretty much the entire flight (in 3-5 min clips), unless I pause to switch to doing some photos for pano stitching. But I’m more interested in filming and don’t interrupt a clip to take pics. I do pics last, once I’ve identified subjects during the filming. Showing the full course of a flight will not produce a cinematic video. In a well timed video, your cuts will rarely be more than 4 seconds. You can use the same clip cut into pieces, but cut in contrasting compositions in between.

Fifth point on tracking...
That may be an entirely different shoot. But, I could see some vehicle tracking done as part of a cityscape shoot like this. I’d probably shoot it on a different day and mix it in. I think tracking looks cooler with a runner or bicyclist. Practice it in a different setting first.

Sixth point on video length...
If you don’t have enough variety in compositions to cut together, speed ramping isn’t gonna fix it. It just allows you to zip out to a distant destination quickly or speed up a segment of a POI to the best part of the composition. Use the POI as I described. POI is the easiest to accomplish and can be done on the same subject at different distances. If it’s a great subject, get a lot of it.

7th point on HDR...
I don’t think it’s a bad idea. It may produce great results without complicated color grading. I’m not a purist on that point as long as I can make adjustments to the clip in post. I typically use an ND64 or 32 on a sunny day. I don’t know how you’d shoot 1/50 or 1/60 on a sunny day with an ND8 as he points out in that video.

8th point, conclusion...
The only thing you have control of in the camera settings (on a MA2) once you’re in the air is the ISO. Select your ND based on the subjects in optimal light. Usually, your exposure isn’t optimal for both outward and return.

The last point I’d like to make is to review all of your clips on your display device and in post and anticipate what you could have or should have done at various points in the clip. Did you time your gimbal tilts properly and maintain axis, did you capture your primary subjects with a variety of compositions, etc. I’m always narrating my clips as I view them. It really doesn’t take long to feel the moves and the timing. The most cinematic moves are a combination of elevation change, gimbal tilt and slow turn or other combo’s. If it’s a great shot, redo it over and over until you nail it. You got this!

I have a massive backlog of video I’ve yet to edit (2 years worth), but I did take some time to edit a few days of flying in La Jolla, CA last year. Most folks would say this is too long, but I edited it for my own purposes and don’t care whether it’s long. I wanted to see all of my usable shots.

Last edited:
Wow! I liked it a lot. I remember you saying that you didn't have a good place to fly...didn't you? Around 3:20 there is roadway down in the trees..is that strictly for pedestrians? The score was beautiful and was a perfect match with the material. Thumbs up Thumbswayup!
It's a good time to mention that I appreciate Mac's comments and tips on composition especially the gimbal and everything else he has to offer.

Reactions: Heindrich1988
I looked at the few YouTube videos you had in your channel. You have so many opportunities for amazing locales. You’ll get up to speed real quick with a couple months of practice. Anybody can learn to film cinematic drone video, but my locales will never be as worthy as the places you can fly. I’m very jealous.

Here’s a couple YT on settings

and some cinematic HDR

Last edited:
Wow! I liked it a lot. I remember you saying that you didn't have a good place to fly...didn't you? Around 3:20 there is roadway down in the trees..is that strictly for pedestrians? The score was beautiful and was a perfect match with the material. Thumbs up Thumbswayup!
It's a good time to mention that I appreciate Mac's comments and tips on composition especially the gimbal and everything else he has to offer.

Thank you for the encouragement :)

The road you mentioned is inside the park. Aside from buggies used by the police/park security, it's reserved for pedestrians and cyclists.

I can't remember exactly what I said about finding good places to fly, but it's probably more down to the fact that I don't have a car in China, so it's not too convenient to get to interesting places suitable for flying, since they would usually be far from urban centres and convenient public transport. This particular park is actually pretty close though. The main issue these days being that it's a bit foggy/smoggy to get the perfect blue skies and white cloud shots.

I'm a bit surprised it's been so bad recently. I don't remember it being so bad in Beijing last year. Either it's the southern humid climate here (this area used to be a swamp, so mists and fog is quite common) or the Chinese government has relaxed environmental controls to make up for lost time in economic activity due to the pandemic earlier this year. The truth is likely a combination of the two.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I looked at the few YouTube videos you had in your channel. You have so many opportunities for amazing locales. You’ll get up to speed real quick with a couple months of practice. Anybody can learn to film cinematic drone video, but my locales will never be as worthy as the places you can fly. I’m very jealous.

Here’s a couple YT on settings

and some cinematic HDR

Thank you sir again for such a detailed and informative response. I will check out the videos you linked again. I also checked out your personal work, I sure hope to move forwards in that direction in the months to come. :)

As for my locale, I really wish I had a drone last year when I actually went on more trips to interesting places in China! Nowadays I'm in a small town (by Chinese standards) without friends around to travel with, so there's less variety. Also, as I mentioned above, the fog/smog has been a bit frustrating. It's nothing crazy, but given I live so high up and can potentially see SO far to the horizon, it's a bit disappointing to never quite be able to see clearly to the horizon. I lived in the UK for most of my life, I'm beginning to miss the clear blue skies and green fields of England. lol

That said, I'm surprised by how few China-based users there are on this forum, given DJI is a Chinese company. I guess most expats haven't returned yet due to the pandemic, and most locals use Chinese-language platforms. So hopefully I can show people something a bit different. :)

Still a long way to go and a lot to learn, but glad to have produced my first video combining Mavic Air 2 footage with music, some basic cutting and editing with Premiere Pro.

Not really happy with the colour, especially in the opening scene, sky looks unnatural. Also don't like the shot flying into the sun. I'm considering trying to shoot HDR with ND filters instead, if it makes post-processing a bit easier.
Great job--I like it!!

Good job and lots of valuable comments. I'll add one thing. Your picture would be more crisp if you shot at 30 frames per second and rendered the video at 30 fps.

I'm a bit surprised it's been so bad recently. I don't remember it being so bad in Beijing last year.
We have had the same thing with smoke from the fires here in southern California. I can not remember the smoke hanging around so long and so dense near the surface. Lots of things to look at in your video. There is a local type train early on that I wish you had shown a little longer.

We have had the same thing with smoke from the fires here in southern California. I can not remember the smoke hanging around so long and so dense near the surface. Lots of things to look at in your video. There is a local type train early on that I wish you had shown a little longer.

I think you are referring to the European-style area. It's actually the Huawei Ox Horn Campus (it has a Wikipedia entry, so I assume that's the official English name?). Locally Chinese people call it the "松山湖华为欧洲小镇", which can be translated as Songshan Lake Huawei European Village. It's not a tourist attraction unfortunately so I don't think I can get close at ground level. There's quite a lot of Huawei facilities in this area, sometimes I worry that they might have anti-drone technologies at their sites. lol

As for the fog/smog. I think it's actually mostly just the local climate. I went out today and the sky above me seemed very clear and blue. But tall buildings about 10km away still looked quite hazy.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Thank you sir again for such a detailed and informative response. I will check out the videos you linked again. I also checked out your personal work, I sure hope to move forwards in that direction in the months to come. :)

As for my locale, I really wish I had a drone last year when I actually went on more trips to interesting places in China! Nowadays I'm in a small town (by Chinese standards) without friends around to travel with, so there's less variety. Also, as I mentioned above, the fog/smog has been a bit frustrating. It's nothing crazy, but given I live so high up and can potentially see SO far to the horizon, it's a bit disappointing to never quite be able to see clearly to the horizon. I lived in the UK for most of my life, I'm beginning to miss the clear blue skies and green fields of England. lol

That said, I'm surprised by how few China-based users there are on this forum, given DJI is a Chinese company. I guess most expats haven't returned yet due to the pandemic, and most locals use Chinese-language platforms. So hopefully I can show people something a bit different. :)
We’re glad to have forum members in China and looking forward to seeing more of your MA2 videos from wherever you find yourself. I’d love to see more of that lake area. There so much you could do there. You may want to get closer to the major features than the spot you launched from.

The video showcase is my favorite sub-forum as pilots from around the world are posting videos from their travels. We don’t see many postings from China, so you’re gonna have to fly a lot more.

Its good to practice a lot whether you’re in a worthy location or in your own backyard. You want to be ready with some great cinematic moves when you do have the opportunity to travel around.

My YouTube presence is more of a dumping ground of random videos over the last 8 years. I have 4 years worth of aerial video I haven’t gotten around to editing into a presentational format. Perhaps this winter...

I've managed to get tickets to visit the lakeside Huawei R&D base in three weeks' time! Well, not tickets exactly cos they aren't being sold. Basically Huawei employees working at the facility can draw ballots to bring guests in at the weekends. I think there's 800 allocations per weekend. So I struck up conversation with Huawei employees waiting for their company bus at the front of my neighbourhood and a few of them agreed to enter the ballot for me. One of them got lucky this week. :D

Hopefully the weather will be alright on the day and I'm given some freedom to shoot some close ups with my drone. Can't wait!

Worst case scenario, I've actually revisited the lake a few days ago and found a hill (from the air lol) near the campus with a lovely viewing platform that would make an ideal take off point. I won't be able to (safely) do ground level shots from the hill, but it should allow me to fly around the campus at a comfortable height. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580