DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lakes, Tides, and Ocean Waves - Mavic 2 Zoom

IlluminationsfromtheAttic

Reactions

I started filming this video a month ago with the DJI Spark, but wasn't happy with the result. Once I got my hands on the Mavic 2 Zoom I headed back to the coast to grab the footage I was missing, and boy am I glad I waited to publish! The Mavic 2 let me do things that just werent possible with the Spark, and it quite literally took the video to new heights! I really had to steel my nerves in order to fly out over the open water, the thought of dropping my drone in the drink is terrifying! However, it was definitely worth the risk for the hyperlapses of the constantly changing inter-tidal zone and canoeing in the bay. Active track worked well, but the water sometimes confused it, and it had a hard time maintaining smooth footage while tracking people on bicycles at slow speeds. When they were travelling faster it didn't have a problem. I really appreciated the zoom lens when filming pelicans flying at the docks it allowed me to get a decent tracking shot of a pelican in flight while maintainging more than adequate space between me and the birds.

Here's a link to skip directly to the Mavic 2 footage (though I'd recommend watching the beginning too!): Lakes, Tides, and Ocean Waves

This is stunning. I would love to take footage such as this. Thanks for sharing.

Did you have any issues navigating your Mavic 2 over water?

Actually water can be a problem at low altitudes, due to VPS. Says so in the manual.
You can turn off VPS and is recommended over water at 30ft or lower. Even higher altitudes can affect it.

I was flying over water at around 30 or so ft, a few hundred ft out. M2 started wandering in a very strange pattern which had me worried it might end up out of control and crash.
Then a few days later it dawns on me it was tracking waves and ripples as stationary patterns, possibly correcting itself when it realized the expected GPS location was out of tolerance.

That is so awesome. I want to fly over the water while on vacation - can you tell me how high you were flying to capture this?
400 feet - one thing to be careful of while flying on the coast is high winds and strong gusts. On one of my recent coastal flights I had to fight my way back - kind of scary!

I was flyng my drone over sea 2 km far awai and 100 meter hight, there was no problem.
I will post video later.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys