DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Land Drone and take off

NorbertG59

Reactions
Just curious and would like to ask two questions:

1) If you take off from one location then land say 1000ft way, can you then take off again or do the Controller has to be near drone to take off?
2) My RC Controller tells me I have WIFI but if i try to do live stream it tells me to Check connection. anything in controller setting that i have to unable?

Regards

Just curious and would like to ask two questions:

1) If you take off from one location then land say 1000ft way, can you then take off again or do the Controller has to be near drone to take off?
2) My RC Controller tells me I have WIFI but if i try to do live stream it tells me to Check connection. anything in controller setting that i have to unable?

Regards
an you then take off again or do the Controller has to be
As long as the controller is connected to the Drone, yes.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
1) Aside from connection issues other problems can arise at remote landing sites, a single grass stem etc. can prevent a motor from restarting, ditto excessive tilt of the drone.

Reactions: Hudsonguy
If you do it, You better make sure you can get to the drone on foot. Why? you may not be taking off after you land. Just a foot from air to ground can block a signal. If their is metal in the ground, you could recieve a compass error, and the drone will require a calibration before it's flown. I've done it on water with those float devices, and on a building top, each over 1000 ft away, but I believe I was lucky. It's not worth the risk, unless your sure you can go get the drone, if it won't take off again.

Reactions: John G.
If their is metal in the ground, you could recieve a compass error, and the drone will require a calibration before it's flown.
If you attempt to launch from an area of magnetic interference (something steel close by), the compass won't require re-calibration.
There's nothing wrong with the compass, the problem is the spot the drone was placed and no amount of compass calibrating will fix that.
The correct action is to switch off, move away from the problem and start again.

If you attempt to launch from an area of magnetic interference (something steel close by), the compass won't require re-calibration.
There's nothing wrong with the compass, the problem is the spot the drone was placed and no amount of compass calibrating will fix that.
The correct action is to switch off, move away from the problem and start again.
I have a table that is granite with a metal stand. The metal did something to the compass. Even when I moved it away from the table, I still got a compass error. So, I recalibrated the compass over the metal table. OOPS! I had a compass that went into error as soon as I took off, but nothing was wrong UNTIL, I landed on the street next to my house. As soon as I landed, "compass error recalibrate, cannot take off." I was lucky I landed in a place I could just walk over to and then recalibrate. I was stupid doing a calibration over a table with metal in it.

You know what though, I have never had an issue flying with a poorly calibrated compass. I've read about all these things that can go wrong, especially with RTH, but I never has this happen. I often put metal accessories like spot lights on my drones, which I know mess with the compass, but the drone flies fine and come's home fine. Well, that is until I land. Then an error pops up, even after taking the metal off the drone.

I just never had issues when my compass was poorly calibrated as evidenced by it asking to be calibrated upon a landing in a non-metalic environment. I often take off in metal influenced areas, calibrate, then fly. I know when I take off the compass probably shifts. Why do I not have the issues I hear so much about?

You know what though, I have never had an issue flying with a poorly calibrated compass. ...

I just never had issues when my compass was poorly calibrated as evidenced by it asking to be calibrated upon a landing in a non-metalic environment. I often take off in metal influenced areas, calibrate, then fly. I know when I take off the compass probably shifts. Why do I not have the issues I hear so much about?
If your compass wasn't calibrated properly, the drone wouldn't have flown properly.

The information I gave is accurate.
It sounds like you are quite confused about your drone's compass and what calibration is all about.
Read the first post in this thread for a good explanation:

I would like to know what the use is of landing quite a distance away from where you are as an operator. It is sort of waiting for disaster to happen.

I would like to know what the use is of landing quite a distance away from where you are as an operator. It is sort of waiting for disaster to happen.
Have the neighbor attach a beer to it?

Consider the possibility that the signal between the drone and controller may degrade substantially as you descend into the tree canopy or among buildings and other obstacles. You might land successfully but have difficulty taking off.
Although if you are simply descending and haven't initiated landing yet, a signal too poor to continue controlling the aircraft so you could command landing should result in Failsafe RTH, right?

OTOH, if you continue to maintain sufficient connection to command a landing with full down stick after the bird pauses, I suspect you'd still have a connection after descending that last 3 feet.

Flying later today, gonna try this and see what happens. 500 feet away, in a field where I can see it and go get it.

A sheet of aluminum foil between the RC and the aircraft works real well to force signal loss without having to turn off the RC, facilitating reconnect asap.

If you do it, You better make sure you can get to the drone on foot. Why? you may not be taking off after you land. Just a foot from air to ground can block a signal. If their is metal in the ground, you could recieve a compass error, and the drone will require a calibration before it's flown.
No, no it won't. Don't make that mistake.

The compass should only be calibrated under circumstances similar to flight. There is no rebar, manholes, electrical junction covers, etc. in the air. Calibrating the compass in the presence of field-altering objects/devices simply screws it up for normal flight.

The only thing you can, and should do in these circumstances is change your launch point to a place without that interference, which is easy to do, or hand-launch.

Finally, modern magnetic-flux compass sensors are very good at detecting BOTH the need for calibration, or interference from nearby ferrous metals, and will tell you. Trust it.

I can envision being out somewhere for purpose, then having reason to pause the mission for a period of time before it's finished and not wanting to hover for 10 minutes and not have enough battery to finish.

Yes, the mission can be done with more than 1 trip out to the site, but why incur all the hassle and time if unnecessary?

All of the signal loss precautions stated here are absolutely right. It is also true there are countless circumstances where it doesn't apply, like being well above the target site and having good LOS signal penetration.

No, no it won't. Don't make that mistake.

The compass should only be calibrated under circumstances similar to flight. There is no rebar, manholes, electrical junction covers, etc. in the air. Calibrating the compass in the presence of field-altering objects/devices simply screws it up for normal flight.

The only thing you can, and should do in these circumstances is change your launch point to a place without that interference, which is easy to do, or hand-launch.

Finally, modern magnetic-flux compass sensors are very good at detecting BOTH the need for calibration, or interference from nearby ferrous metals, and will tell you. Trust it.
Just so you know, that scenario of landing and my compass suddenly giving me a "calibrate your compass before take off", message actually happened. I couldn't take off. Only god knows why.

Here is what happened. I was having some compass issues on my balcony and it told me to move the drone to another place or calibrate the drone. I elected to move it to another place on the balcony and the message dissapeared. I took off and decided I would go down to the road in front of my house and fly the drone. While I was still on the balcony, I landed it next to the edge of the road, no man hole covers or power lines nearby.

Then, as soon as I land, bang! Compass needs calibration message came on again. Can not take off. Luckily, I was just landing there to go down there and fly from that spot anyway. This time I calibrated the drone while I was on the street. No issues after that. But Imagine If I landed somewhere like on the roof of a building that I did not have access to. I would be screwed.

Just so you know, that scenario of landing and my compass suddenly giving me a "calibrate your compass before take off", message actually happened. I couldn't take off. Only god knows why.
Oh, I totally believe you. The system and sensor aren't infallible.

The compass can be rendered inoperative (i.e. returning inconsistent, nonsensical data) either in the presence of ferromagnetic metals, or external artificial magnetic fields.

The latter can trigger a false calibration prompt that will go away if you move and restart the drone.

That's not necessarily what caused your problem, just an example of how false calibration prompts can occur.

Some people want to try it just to try it, the other use I have seen mentioned is to try to leapfrog up a mountain that is taller than 500m.

Some people want to try it just to try it, the other use I have seen mentioned is to try to leapfrog up a mountain that is taller than 500m.
Glad I bought the Mav 3 Enterprise. it's limit is 1500m.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun