DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing at a non home point and taking off again...

Yedi

Reactions
Just tried for the first time landing my Mavic Pro about 1250 feet away and 225 feet above
my home point/take off point - on a flat area up a hill - from my house. Got a message (can't
remember what it said) before touching down and lost connection - it did not return to home.

Sprinted up the hill and got about 150 feet away from it - I was about 75 feet below and regained
connection (sheewwww!).

Is there a way to pre-program it to do a full landing and then take off again? Was it just a matter
of the hill being in the way and losing connection? My range extenders will arrive tomorrow so
this flight was without them.

Any help is much appreciated!

Was it just a matter
of the hill being in the way and losing connection?
I think that ^^^, I have landed and taken off again from areas other than my home point. Howdy from Wyoming and welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

I would guess you lost connection due to the hill. I don't know of a way to get Go 4 to take off autonomously. It is probably a safety related thing. If a person/animal that you did not know about was in your landing zone and got close to your craft, they may get injured if it suddenly took off.

Reactions: Kilrah
Boost your RC and it might work. At close ranges like that I have no problem going beyond Los using a MaxxUAV Evolite setup.

Reactions: SteveM
Your RC needs line of sight most of the time so that will be why you lost connection. When landing at distance as long as you have a good line of sight you can land and take off again, I have done this at 4000 feet away but I was 100 feet above the landing spot with clear line of sight.

Reactions: WAXMAN
What was your RTH set to do on loss of signal? This is the big issue when landing in a remote location. I'm not sure which method you used for landing, but I "think" if you were not landing manually, the craft will ignore loss of signal and continue to land.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Be sure to set RTH nice and high so the ac will climb up into the signal again.

Reactions: Bods
Just tried for the first time landing my Mavic Pro about 1250 feet away and 225 feet above
my home point/take off point - on a flat area up a hill - from my house. Got a message (can't
remember what it said) before touching down and lost connection - it did not return to home.

Sprinted up the hill and got about 150 feet away from it - I was about 75 feet below and regained
connection (sheewwww!).

Is there a way to pre-program it to do a full landing and then take off again? Was it just a matter
of the hill being in the way and losing connection? My range extenders will arrive tomorrow so
this flight was without them.

You should try it again it might work the second time.

Be sure to set RTH nice and high so the ac will climb up into the signal again.
^^True! Unless you are ditching the bird due to a low battery (not critical - just low). In which case you would do well to set RTH to hover or land.

I may be wrong but I’m pretty sure this is a home point setting option. You can select if the craft remembers the ground as its home point or your controller as a home point. If it were set to use the controllers location as home point wouldn’t it come back? Even if lost RC connection it would default to the preset setting, either hover, land, or RTH.

Please disregard.. I just watched a video of how I guy thought the same thing I did and is just not so! What’s the point of setting your controller as the home point then?

Please disregard.. I just watched a video of how I guy thought the same thing I did and is just not so! What’s the point of setting your controller as the home point then?

Maybe if you were launching from a moving platform such as a boat, then your controller would be used as a dynamic home point.

Not sure how exactly he launched but now I know I won’t take any chances with these sketchy scenarios lol

LOL - I did that a few months ago. My wife was with the dog at the dog park about 1/4 mile away.
She texted me she had a headache so I said I'll tape some to the drone and send them to you.
So I did, flew down and told it to land with teh assumption I'd be able to start it again with sticks.
Nope - no connection so she had to bring it back. It sits about 60 ft lower than home so the trees interfered.
At least she got the aspirins ;)

I'm confused. If you're trying to land and the signal is lost, it will not do the Signal Lost Action (Hover or RTH), but continue to land on its own? Or you just lost the video link (i.e. FPV froze), but the commands still went through?

Reactions: techandfitness
I'm confused. If you're trying to land and the signal is lost, it will not do the Signal Lost Action (Hover or RTH), but continue to land on its own? Or you just lost the video link (i.e. FPV froze), but the commands still went through?
The Signal Lost Action will not work if you are in that last couple feet of landing because it is committed to the landing. After it pauses just before landing you can let go of the sticks and it will continue to land and shut off the motors.

LOL - I did that a few months ago. My wife was with the dog at the dog park about 1/4 mile away.
She texted me she had a headache so I said I'll tape some to the drone and send them to you.
So I did, flew down and told it to land with teh assumption I'd be able to start it again with sticks.
Nope - no connection so she had to bring it back. It sits about 60 ft lower than home so the trees interfered.
At least she got the aspirins ;)

This. Is. Awesome! [emoji41]

I'm confused. If you're trying to land and the signal is lost, it will not do the Signal Lost Action (Hover or RTH), but continue to land on its own?
If you're manually landing, the signal lost action would be executed if the remote controller signal is lost.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98