DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing in a boat

MJ1952

Reactions
I had difficulty getting my mini 2 to land in the boat on Lake Ontario recently. Boat was anchored but drifting slightly. It was a challenge to get it to land. I don’t feel comfortable hand catching the drone. I took off from a recycle blue box which was small so I tried landing it on the boat’s metal floor. The floor was lower than the take off elevation by maybe two feet. I eventually got it down into the boat but it wasn’t fun. Any ideas why?

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum!

I would practice hand catching vs trying to land somewhere on the boat.

Dont do it.... Been there, barely survived. I will never do it again.
If you must, plan to return early with plenty of battery. Stay close to shore incase boat landing doesnt work out- you can land safely on shore then retrieve the bird.

Thanks. I might have to if I’m going to boat launch again but kinda nervous. My brother in law’s friend has a drone and needed several stitches when trying to catch his drone.
I only suggest hand-catching/launching with the smaller drones. You have the Mini 2 so should be easy enough. I would not attempt hand-catching a larger drone. I too have almost lost a thumb trying to catch an Inspire 2

Hello from the Crossroads of America MJ1952.

so I tried landing it on the boat’s metal floor.

I assume it's aluminum, which is OK.

If it's a ferrous metal, it may throw the compass off, causing instability when getting close to it.

If anything, take a fishing net and spare props.

The CSC emergency stop could be used and drop the aircraft into the net. 🤔

The gimbal may be compromised if doing this.

Another option would be to purchase a rescue jacket from one of our vendors.

Along with a wetsuit.

Tell them your a Mavic Pilot member for a possible deal.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. 😎

I only suggest hand-catching/launching with the smaller drones. You have the Mini 2 so should be easy enough. I would not attempt hand-catching a larger drone. I too have almost lost a thumb trying to catch an Inspire 2
You have me concerned. Ive been practicing hand launching and catching my M3 the last week or so.. Ive gotten pretty confident, too, with zero issues so far. BUT AFTER HEARING ABOUT YOUR THUMB, Im highly concerned. ugh

You have me concerned. Ive been practicing hand launching and catching my M3 the last week or so.. Ive gotten pretty confident, too, with zero issues so far. BUT AFTER HEARING ABOUT YOUR THUMB, Im highly concerned. ugh
My accident was with the Inspire 2. If you have been doing ok, I'd continue. Just be careful

Learn how, then practice, practice, practice. I did it ten times in a row when I first figured out how to do it.

Open palm works well at first, but it can be a bit precarious for the drone after landing but before the props stop.

Learn how, then practice, practice, practice. I did it ten times in a row when I first figured out how to do it.

Open palm works well at first, but it can be a bit precarious for the drone after landing but before the props stop.
Agree that open palm is the best way and certainly for the minis, without a doubt. That heavier M3 is a little different and I almost feel compelled to grab it.
Saying that, the M3 has a much larger amount of bird to grab ahold of below the props compared to the other drones. I don't move the drone when I grab it...I wait for the props to turn off. The only reason I grab it is because it's so darn heavy and much larger than my palm and much more difficult to just balance on my hand...

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

I had difficulty getting my mini 2 to land in the boat on Lake Ontario recently. Boat was anchored but drifting slightly. It was a challenge to get it to land. I don’t feel comfortable hand catching the drone. I took off from a recycle blue box which was small so I tried landing it on the boat’s metal floor. The floor was lower than the take off elevation by maybe two feet. I eventually got it down into the boat but it wasn’t fun. Any ideas why?
Hand catch. Wear a leather work glove. Practice on land.

If you landing the Mavic 3 on a boat , you might consider getting the Lunar Landing pad.
Lets you reach out and snag the drone in mid air . Acts like a Shield and offer full protection to your hands.

We offer a standard version now where you just get the landing pad and straps without the cut outs and carrying case.
its $74.95 and saves everyone from harms way.

Email me at [email protected]

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, and Land on a boat Safely.

How to use the Lunar Landing Pad ??

Last edited:
I'll just say this, learn to hand catch. I do not like doing it, but I practice it. Forget the boat issue, imagine you are at the local park, nice and quiet until you start flying. Then the kids see you and come over and the jerk walking his dog without a leash (in spite that it's illegal in the municipality and also in the park…) and you need to land your drone. Do you land it on the very expensive pad that you special ordered and trust that the kids will not run up and start fighting over who gets to see it first, or the dog that was growling at it even when it was 25' in the air?

Hand Catch it by landing it in the palm of your hand, not by Grabbing it out of the air and quickly flipping it over so that the IMU recognizes it's upside down and shuts the motors down. This method of gabbing and flipping is both dangerous and careless about the drone. It is built light and it can't take the heavy handed flipping. It will strain the arms and possibly knock the gimbal loose.

Go to your back yard and practice hand launching and hand landing this over and over again. Always stand with the wind at your back to prevent a gust from blowing the drone into your face. It takes practice to hand land. You have to judge the distance else the drone sees you sneaking your hand up to to it that rises and the only way to get this down is to practice and you will never have a dog snatch your drone off the landing pad…

As for the boat, buy pontoons for the drone or get a bigger boat…

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
I hand catch when I’m on land in an area where there’s no suitable landing area.
As Lister said, practice, practice, practice and using a leather glove is a great idea!
You could probably build a landing pad like the Luna with scrap material. Fly safe and stay safe!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun