DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing on hood of vehicle?

98 SNAKE EATER

Reactions
Last week I tried taking off from the hood of my car and I was greeted with a magnetic interference warning, so I shut down and took off from the ground instead.

Today while I was out at the beach, I used a floor mat to take off, but it was kinda sketchy trying to land cause it was a bit windy and not really all that level (not to mention the Police breathing down my neck)

Would it be ok if I were to take off from the ground and land on the hood or will the cause problems?

What did the Police want. Would it not be better if they stood back and allowed you to land rather than pressurising you and causing a distraction. That goes for anyone not just the police. The number of times people, generally friendly, approach when I am flying and have a 'chat' and I have to ask them to step back a little as I land. I used to hand catch my Phantom lots but just not confident to put my hand anywhere near the Mavic in flight yet.

Hand catching is very easy, but as mentioned by Masheen, you have to grip it well, hang on, and get the left control down asap.

Another thing you might try is landing on a large sheet of similar flat metal material, preferably another hood, that is placed on the ground.
See how it goes.
At least if it does misbehave, you are not going to damage your car hood or have it fall further.

Why hasn't DJI developed a hand catch mode yet, like the one for the Spark? It looks really useful and a lot safer.

Reactions: Masheen
Why hasn't DJI developed a hand catch mode yet, like the one for the Spark? It looks really useful and a lot safer.

I've never tried auto land, left control down with palm underneath like the spark can do.
I don't think it does have this, but worth a shot.
After all you more of less can do this as described below, but might try with open palm underneath next fly.

Personally plucking it from the side when it's hovering next to you is pretty easy, just have to keep it well gripped as it tries to clear the obstacle (your hand), as you use land (left control down).

DO NOT take off or land from anything metal! Oy vey! In fact, flying close to anything metal can be bad (like your vehicle). Hand launch/catch as was suggested above.

I took off from a grassy area using a cardboard box and turned off Landing Protection so that I could catch it by hand. I flew the Mavic out about a mile and was able to catch it through the sunroof of my car. As it approached I started getting compass warnings from being so close to metal. I've tried launching from the roof of my car too. Same warnings received. I wouldn't recommend landing or taking off from a vehicle. You can fly from inside one though. ;)

U might crash your mavic when landing on a metal surface
Mine was a meter away from my garage door, made of metal
It suddenly flew toward the garage door (not responding to the stick input)
Luckily its obstacle avoidance sensor kicks in just before the blade touch the door, hovering less than a finger away

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61