DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing PAds/Landing gear

AaronB4206

Reactions
Good morning everyone - I just got my Mavic air yesterday - does anyone use or recommend the landing pads or leg extensions? Are they a gimic or actually useful ? I have a spark and have never used either. Thank you for the input and have a good day

Aaron

Personally, I don't like leg extensions. I'm sure they work but IMO, you'll run into situations where the legs just won't be long enough or protect you drone from certain situations, so I bought a Hoodman Landing Pad.

There are several reasons I prefer a landing pad over leg extension;
  • Depending on the leg extensions you use, you may have to remove them before folding the arms
  • With leg extensions on, your Mavic Air may not fit in the case without first removing them
  • Leg extensions can raise the drone up some, but its a fixed length therefore tall grass can still get in the way. With a Landing pad, it presses down on the grass making a level (reasonably) platform to take off and land from
  • Landing pads can protect you drone from dust and sand (depending on the landing pad size you use) as you take off or land
  • A Landing Pad will "somewhat" level a rough take-off and landing area
On the downside, yes, its something extra you have to carry with you. It doesn't make "EVERY" location a perfect take off or landing area, and some can be expensive when compared to leg extensions.

YMMV....

Personally, I don't like leg extensions. I'm sure they work but IMO, you'll run into situations where the legs just won't be long enough or protect you drone from certain situations, so I bought a Hoodman Landing Pad.

• Depending on the leg extensions you use, you may have to remove them before folding the arms
  • With leg extensions on, your Mavic Air may not fit in the case without first removing them
  • Leg extensions can raise the drone up some, but its a fixed length therefore tall grass can still get in the way. With a Landing pad, it presses down on the grass making a level (reasonably) platform to take off and land from
  • Landing pads can protect you drone from dust and sand (depending on the landing pad size you use) as you take off or land
On the downside, yes, its something extra you have to carry with you. It doesn't make "EVERY" location a perfect take off or landing area, and some can be expensive when compared to leg extensions.

YMMV....

Great advise - thank you for taking the time to answer.

AB

YMMV....
Agree with your post the landing pad makes a difference and on a personal note it lets me know how effective the return to home is on my Air. I marvel at how often it lands on the same spot it took off. I set the pad in a snow covered area surrounded by Forrest. I flew it up over the Campsie Glen in Scotland and as soon as it left line of sight I hit the home button. You know these moments with a tree line surrounding me I saw its return position 200 feet above me and I thought it is perfectly hovering. It landed on the pad within an inch of its departure point. I admit sometimes if there is a slight wind I tend to take over but the landing pad has a second purpose of helping me navigate with it's big bright blue circles.

I have a spark and have never used either.
The Spark sits just as low to the ground as the Mavic Air. So, for you personally, you probably wouldn't need either of these items if you've never found a need when flying your Spark.

Reactions: AaronB4206
@MavicMo has provided a great analysis I ended up getting both the leg extensions (PolarPro) and a landing pad. I use the landing pad primarily in scenarios where there is loose dirt/gravel or sand in the landing area and use the leg extensions in all other cases. It takes about 30 seconds to install/remove the extensions which I don’t find to be a problem.

The bigger challenge is folding the landing pad (with its stiff but bendable metal rim) to fit into its carrying bag - kind of reminds me of the days when we used folding paper Hagstrom maps and spent way too much time trying to manipulate them back into their original folded shape [emoji12]

@MavicMo has provided a great analysis I ended up getting both the leg extensions (PolarPro) and a landing pad. I use the landing pad primarily in scenarios where there is loose dirt/gravel or sand in the landing area and use the leg extensions in all other cases. It takes about 30 seconds to install/remove the extensions which I don’t find to be a problem.

The bigger challenge is folding the landing pad (with its stiff but bendable metal rim) to fit into its carrying bag - kind of reminds me of the days when we used folding paper Hagstrom maps and spent way too much time trying to manipulate them back into their original folded shape [emoji12]
It was a total nightmare so glad you posted this about the landing pad. I went on youtube and there was a guy with a video well I could laugh Youtube rescued me ha ha and I am an expert now :)

It was a total nightmare so glad you posted this about the landing pad. I went on youtube and there was a guy with a video well I could laugh Youtube rescued me ha ha and I am an expert now :)
As a matter of fact I watched the same video and saved my butt :eek: I should have mentioned that in my post - thx for posting and reminding me :) Here's the one I watched - maybe it can rescue someone else. Folding a Landing Pad.

I say no way to landing extensions. Also only launch from hand or launch pad. Don’t want crap all up in those motors.

Gotta day I’ve been hand launching so much more lately.

I have the kytech launch pad and it’s great. Same orange one you see on amazon.

Reactions: robmacom
Catch, then you never have to lug extra landing pad or extension. 90% of time I fly I'm in places I don't want my Mavic Air on the ground due to snow, sand, mud, so catching is the way to go. For take off, I usually take off from top of my case since or hand.

I guess I have been trained by my windshield sun screen things that fold the same way. After a few years it gets easy :)

Reactions: bytebiz
Good morning everyone - I just got my Mavic air yesterday - does anyone use or recommend the landing pads or leg extensions? Are they a gimic or actually useful ? I have a spark and have never used either. Thank you for the input and have a good day

Aaron
I use both. The landing gears are a cinch to use. I first used the polar pro ones and the worked pretty good, but some how misplaced them so I ordered some cheaper ones for a little over 12 dollars that are of a different design and like them better. I recommend them.

I use both. The landing gears are a cinch to use. I first used the polar pro ones and the worked pretty good, but some how misplaced them so I ordered some cheaper ones for a little over 12 dollars that are of a different design and like them better. I recommend them.

I got a cheap set arriving tomorrow too - the look okay. For that sort of coin i figured why not. Also have a landing pad, which is basically just a small-ish roll-up mat with a rubber backing. I like the idea of a proper landing pad, but it seems like they need to be pegged to the ground, which is a PITA! This mat that i have is heavy enough to stay put.

I just bought this one from Amazon. It is huge and has the stiff outer spring. Love the video on how to fold. I bought it for my business because of a couple of factors. I wanted to have a clear landing spot that I would see when in the ballpark of my landing area, I wanted to avoid the small debris that can fly when the drone takes off and lands, and I also wanted to convey a sense of professionalism when I am on site.

As for the leg extensions, I will pass and stick with the OEM legs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus