DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing Pads

Old Aviator

Reactions
I researched "landing pad" across the forums and posted this in the wrong forum initially. I purchased a PGYTech circular folding landing pad recommended by DJI when I bought my Mavic Air (which I have not yet flown). after seeing a video about not placing the aircraft on a concrete sidewalk because of possible compass interference from the rebar, I am concerned about the metal ring around the perimeter of the pad. Am I being foolish?

I researched "landing pad" across the forums and posted this in the wrong forum initially. I purchased a PGYTech circular folding landing pad recommended by DJI when I bought my Mavic Air (which I have not yet flown). after seeing a video about not placing the aircraft on a concrete sidewalk because of possible compass interference from the rebar, I am concerned about the metal ring around the perimeter of the pad. Am I being foolish?
As a builder, first thing is there is rarely rebar in concrete flatwork (sidewalks, patios) unless there is very expansive soil (clay), and even then, still rarely used. I bought a pair of these popout car auto shades that are zebra pattern for a dollar at the $ store, works great with a couple of small flat rocks to hold it down, no appearant interference from the metal hoops on them. Caution though, fly straight up vertical for at least 33’ in altitude or the Mavic will not RTH correctly!

Ring I believe is aluminum or some other non magnetic material. Never had any issues with the PGY pad besides it needs to be stakes down due to down draft.

I use the hoodman pad when I can carry it. Used a lead weight.

Paul C

I've never had interference problems with it. I believe with rebar, they are all tied together, thus making a much larger field that may be susceptible to magnetic interference.

Ring I believe is aluminum or some other non magnetic material. Never had any issues with the PGY pad besides it needs to be stakes down due to down draft.

I use the hoodman pad when I can carry it. Used a lead weight.

Paul C
It checked positive with a magnet but I am much relieved and grateful for everyone's responses. Thank you all.

I've never had interference problems with it. I believe with rebar, they are all tied together, thus making a much larger field that may be susceptible to magnetic interference.
As a builder, first thing is there is rarely rebar in concrete flatwork (sidewalks, patios) unless there is very expansive soil (clay), and even then, still rarely used. I bought a pair of these popout car auto shades that are zebra pattern for a dollar at the $ store, works great with a couple of small flat rocks to hold it down, no appearant interference from the metal hoops on them. Caution though, fly straight up vertical for at least 33’ in altitude or the Mavic will not RTH correctly!

Is the initial 33' altitude hover to give the aircraft sensors and camera an optimal sense of home?

As a builder, first thing is there is rarely rebar in concrete flatwork (sidewalks, patios) unless there is very expansive soil (clay), and even then, still rarely used
Perhaps this is a regional thing? Where I live, rebar in sidewalks is very common.

Reactions: lwpratt
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose