DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing pads

Digi_t

Reactions
I‘ve just ordered a Mavic Air 2 and as it’s my first drone I was wondering whether people bother much with landing pads? I plan to take the drone out mountain biking with me so will be launching off all sorts of different terrain. I also plan to learn how to hand launch and catch but would be good to hear your thoughts on whether or not the landing pads are useful.

hand catching and launching is fine at certain times depending on where you are flying ,a landing pad is a great addition as it keeps the drone from picking up dust or sand ,and gives the sensors something to latch on to when a RTH is in progress ,i personally avoid hand catching ,as i am on a anticoagulant for a heart condition, and if i get cut out in the sticks i could be in trouble so i always use my landing pad

Last edited:
I would advise using one. Debre can be sucked into the motors not to mention contact with grass and leaves. I have two, one folds up and the other collapes simuilar to the kind you would use in your car for a sunblock. Both would easily pack away in a backpack.

This is the one I like best for my Air 2.
It's small enough to fit inside many cases. Its rigid so supports the drone on grass.
AND finally, the precision landing is based on the bottom optical sensors matching the landing location visually after GPS gets you within about a meter or so. My Air two always lens with 3-4 of the rotors over the pad.
I have a big round one that is fabric over memory wire. Its OK but recently I have been using this.
Other places sell this one too that might ship faster.

It's small enough to fit inside many cases. Its rigid so supports the drone on grass.
AND finally, the precision landing is based on the bottom optical sensors matching the landing location visually after GPS gets you within about a meter or so. My Air two always lens with 3-4 of the rotors over the pad.
I have a big round one that is fabric over memory wire. Its OK but recently I have been using this.

I've been using the round one of late. It fits in the side pocket of a lunchbox. Took awhile to catch on how to fold it upon it's self to store.

I‘ve just ordered a Mavic Air 2 and as it’s my first drone I was wondering whether people bother much with landing pads? I plan to take the drone out mountain biking with me so will be launching off all sorts of different terrain. I also plan to learn how to hand launch and catch but would be good to hear your thoughts on whether or not the landing pads are useful.
Seems to me it would depend on your application. My take-off/land points are generally in very dusty areas. I constructed my own pad, 4' x 4', from a roll-up fake bamboo (plastic) patio shade, backed by reinforced plastic tarp, with all the edges wrapped in black Gorilla tape. Not something I could ever stuff into a backpack, but it's necessary in my application. Landing pad.jpg

Last edited:
I've only taken off and landed by hand with both my MA and M2P. If you're comfortable with that, I would suggest that. If not, then a landing pad is a great way to keep the dust and such out. The gimbal mechanism is quite exposed and close to the ground.
I'm with you buddy! My mini has yet to touch the ground.

That's the one I'm using. Its by far my favourite landing pad I have tried. I've had it in wooded areas, mountains, uneven terrain, you name it. Its light, folds up, fairly wind resistant and fits beautifully in a backpack. Excellent landing pad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I use a Tryroles weighted and it’s great.

As my mini is my first drone, I didn't know any better, so was landing on gravel or grass at first. Then I used a cutting board from my kitchen a little while, until I ordered and received my landing pad. I really like it, and it folds up small, and comes with a carry case. Happy flying!

Attachments

• 20200603_151018.jpg
    20200603_151018.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters