DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landscape photography

jgnu

Reactions
I know most of the content here is videos, but I pretty much only use my drone (a pro platinum) for landscape photography. I've had it since last summer, and I love the new opportunities it gives to capture landscapes!

Does anyone else use their drone for landscape photography? I'd love to see some of your shots!

Here are a couple of mine to start things off!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

I know most of the content here is videos, but I pretty much only use my drone (a pro platinum) for landscape photography. I've had it since last summer, and I love the new opportunities it gives to capture landscapes!

Does anyone else use their drone for landscape photography? I'd love to see some of your shots!

View attachment 94916

View attachment 94917

View attachment 94918

View attachment 94919

View attachment 94920

View attachment 94921

View attachment 94922
Great images! Yes, sometimes one frame can tell the whole story.

These are stunning pictures jgnu! You are obviously good at this - would love to hear a few tips from you if you can spare the time. And thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks, I'm really glad you enjoyed the photos :)

Most of the tips I can give are more general ones for all landscape photography. I've found that whether or not the camera can fly doesn't make a difference to a few fundamentals:

- Good light and interesting weather is super important. The second photo was shot right after a heavy rainstorm cleared, and the first photo is the result of going to that spot many cold mornings when the forecast showed chances of fog.
- Composition is always important for a good shot. I'm very fond of leading lines that lead to the brightest or most contrasty part of the image for example.
- I find that limiting the number of colors used in an image can be very effective. Some examples from the images I posted are the lighthouse shot (mainly blue and magenta) and the islands (pale orange and teal tones).
- Don't be afraid of post processing. There is always a risk of overdoing it, but I think the post processing stage is where the image really comes to life.

As for drone specific tips, I've figured out a few things along the way:

- I initially thought I would have to blend exposures a lot, but it turns out that when shooting raw in good light (I especially like just after the sun goes down), a single exposure is enough, even from the tiny pro platinum sensor.
- I also thought I would shoot mostly straight-down shots, but that actually got old pretty fast, and I now mainly like the compositions with just a little bit of sky in them.
- I love the ability to rotate the camera to portrait mode on the pro platinum. It's weird that the newer drones can't do that!
- I've tried some more advanced techniques, like stacking many 0.5s exposures to get the feeling of a 30s exposure (the image with the little lighthouse), but that turned out to be a lot of work and sort of took away a lot of the enjoyment for me.

Thanks @jgnu. The tip about limiting colours in post is a new one to me and one I have never tried - I definetly will try it! Composition is my greatest weakness, I just don't seem to have a talent there unfortunately. Perhaps I will look for a book or something on the subject. Thanks again:)

View attachment 94916

View attachment 94917

View attachment 94918

View attachment 94919

View attachment 94920

View attachment 94921

View attachment 94922
Holy Guacamoly! Teach us, Sensei! Do you have instagram account or Youtube channel?

Reactions: Len750
That's a great idea! I really like "The photographer's eye" by Michael Freeman. It explains a lot of principles of composition in a quite accessible way.
You are awesome! Thanks!

These pictures are really breathtaking. I really like the first one, but the rest are awesome. Thank you for sharing!

Very well done! I cannot use these terms with most of the drone still images seen here. Having a strong landscape and micro photography background comes with a critical eye for great images. Beyond good photography composition, lighting, etc, one needs a post processing background. That is, if one is seeking to capture images like this.

Reactions: maohmc
Beautiful work! Best landscapes I’ve seen on this site. Where are you located?

View attachment 94916

View attachment 94917

View attachment 94918

View attachment 94919

View attachment 94920

View attachment 94921

View attachment 94922
Man, your work is superb. Landscape stills on my Mavic 2 Pro are my passion too. I previously had a Platinum but sold it because I was dissatisfied with the lens and dynamic range which the M2P improves on hugely. However, if you'd told me these were from a Platinum, I wouldn't have believed you. The dynamic range is awesome. Your composition and light is amazing. Well done, you deserve all the member accolades here!

These pictures are really breathtaking. I really like the first one, but the rest are awesome. Thank you for sharing!

Very well done! I cannot use these terms with most of the drone still images seen here. Having a strong landscape and micro photography background comes with a critical eye for great images. Beyond good photography composition, lighting, etc, one needs a post processing background. That is, if one is seeking to capture images like this.

Thank you guys, Im glad you enjoyed the images :)

Man, your work is superb. Landscape stills on my Mavic 2 Pro are my passion too. I previously had a Platinum but sold it because I was dissatisfied with the lens and dynamic range which the M2P improves on hugely. However, if you'd told me these were from a Platinum, I wouldn't have believed you. The dynamic range is awesome. Your composition and light is amazing. Well done, you deserve all the member accolades here!

Thanks for the kind words, Im glad you liked my images.

I would love to see some of your drone landscapes if you feel like sharing!

Since some of you mentioned dynamic range and post processing, I thought maybe someone would be interested in a before/after comparison when it comes to post-processing.

I almost always shoot in AEB (5 shots bracket), but since the exposure difference is so small (0.3EV between shots), its usually not needed. Both of these examples are processed from a single (raw) image (raw on the left, processed image on the right):before_after_1.jpg

before_after_2.jpg

Sometimes the dynamic range is too much for the little platinum sensor, and then I will blend/HDR multiple exposures, but it's more rare than I thought it would be before buying the drone (one of two raws on the left, processed image on the right):

before_after_3.jpg

View attachment 94916

View attachment 94917Excellent!!! Thanks for sharing your work.

View attachment 94918

View attachment 94919

View attachment 94920

View attachment 94921

View attachment 94922
Excellent!!! Thanks for sharing your work.

I love those shots! I’m a big fan of landscape photography but I’m still learning. I live in Utah in the US and have access to a wonderful variety of scenery to shoot. But I’m still learning about composition and digital post processing. Here are a few of my shots. They’re not even in the same league as yours but I’m learning.

516D2E6B-8111-4065-917D-08494E459750.jpeg7B8F07EE-063B-4C72-BCDA-BA4E669BE613.jpeg0497B112-E016-497B-8CCD-6D312AAF8296.jpegDA5AB3FA-F60B-4395-8F01-0853AC236230.jpeg8717B803-58AA-4D58-9DA1-FEABCB050F77.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madkiwi