DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

lanyard for the DJI RC-N1 using the notch for control sticks?

Ronny St.

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi all,
I am thinking of getting me a lanyard for my standard controller of the Mini 2. But I always find lanyards being attached on the top of the controller. That way the strap is over the cine-normal-sport slider and that seems me being not so practical as I quite regularly use them. I wonder if someone has come with a method to use the notches on the bottom where you can put the control sticks, as I don't use that since I always leave the control sticks screwed on the controller. Maybe it is possible to buy some spare controller sticks and attach something around them to make it possible to attach a lanyard to it? I am a bit afraid that it won't hold firm enough to endure the weight of the controller and the smartphone.
Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
Greetings from Belgium,
Ronny

I don't have this product but you might be able to run a small loop of string through the holes and perhaps attach a lanyard to it.

I used a rubber O ring that worked until I purchased a Lifthor mount with a lanyard attachment that holds it above the buttons and sticks.

Post in thread 'Lanyard for MA2' Lanyard for MA2

Hi all,
I am thinking of getting me a lanyard for my standard controller of the Mini 2. But I always find lanyards being attached on the top of the controller. That way the strap is over the cine-normal-sport slider and that seems me being not so practical as I quite regularly use them. I wonder if someone has come with a method to use the notches on the bottom where you can put the control sticks, as I don't use that since I always leave the control sticks screwed on the controller. Maybe it is possible to buy some spare controller sticks and attach something around them to make it possible to attach a lanyard to it? I am a bit afraid that it won't hold firm enough to endure the weight of the controller and the smartphone.
Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
Greetings from Belgium,
Ronny
Hi Ronny,

I stumbled across your post as I was searching for ideas for a lanyard idea. Just joined here - have been in the PhantomPilots group for some time now.

I picked up a Mini3Pro recently and it has the RCN1 controller. As a P4P user for the last 4+ years, it has been incredibly frustrating not having a lanyard (for my M3P).

My solution: Drill 2 small holes and thread a lanyard much like so many other items we carry. With the phone on the controller it is well balanced (better balanced than my P4P controller is). I guess time will tell how well and for how long this works.

Photos attached.

Attachments

• 20231210_131247.jpg
    20231210_131247.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20231210_131332.jpg
    20231210_131332.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Reactions: Ronny St.
Hi Ronny,

I stumbled across your post as I was searching for ideas for a lanyard idea. Just joined here - have been in the PhantomPilots group for some time now.

I picked up a Mini3Pro recently and it has the RCN1 controller. As a P4P user for the last 4+ years, it has been incredibly frustrating not having a lanyard.

My solution: Drill 2 small holes and thread a lanyard much like so many other items we carry. With the phone on the controller it is well balanced (better balanced than my P4P controller is). I guess time will tell how well and for how long this works.

Photos attached.
Hello 3DSurveyor and welcome to this forum!
Your idea is so simple that one overlooks it, but..... it looks efficient and that what it is all about! Thank you for the tip, I think I will try it out, 2 little holes in the controller don't ruin it and makes it a lot more handy to use :)

Hello 3DSurveyor and welcome to this forum!
Your idea is so simple that one overlooks it, but..... it looks efficient and that what it is all about! Thank you for the tip, I think I will try it out, 2 little holes in the controller don't ruin it and makes it a lot more handy to use :)
Hello Ronny,

Great to be here. I appreciate the warm welcome. Especially from Belgium!
I am looking forward to grabbing some more imagery with this little machine. I was concerned about dropping the controller when taking off and landing in an area that required it on a few of my flights.

When I have a chance, I will post some of this imagery. Currently away from "home" and there is a touch more snow here than there.

Attachments

• DJI_0309.JPG
    DJI_0309.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: Ronny St.
Hi all,
Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
Greetings from Belgium,
Ronny

Take the controller to a good hardware store and look in the section where all the oddball fasteners are. I suspect you'll be able to find something with the same diameter and thread pitch that will screw right into the controller and allow you to attach a lanyard.

Ideally, it might look something like this. But there are lots of good opportunities for improvising in that section of the hardware store.

Screenshot 2023-12-10 174620.jpg

Take the controller to a good hardware store and look in the section where all the oddball fasteners are. I suspect you'll be able to find something with the same diameter and thread pitch that will screw right into the controller and allow you to attach a lanyard.

Ideally, it might look something like this. But there are lots of good opportunities for improvising in that section of the hardware store.

View attachment 170929

Heads up.

This may work the new controllers with the built in screen, but won't work with the RCN1 controller.

There's no place to put those screws.

Reactions: 3DSurveyor
Thanks for catching that. You're right, of course.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3