DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Laptop powerbrick for Crystalsky charging hub

Rob63

Reactions
The Crystalsky charging hub requires an input voltage between 17.3 and 26.2 VDC at a minimum of 57 Watts. A typical HP laptop power supply e.g. HP67774 is able to fulfill these requirements, supplying 19.5 VDC / 65 Watts. Even the connector is the same. However, the pinout is different and therefore a minor wiring change or adaptor is required to make it work:

HP power connector:
Outer tube = GND
Inner tube = +19.5 VDC
Pin = ID

Crystalsky charging hub:
Outer tube = GND
Inner tube = not required
Pin = +19.5 VDC

Funny, I was pondering this just today while eyeing my HP laptop. Great catch!

Thanks very much for this! I had two of these sitting in my parts box, so this saved me some money. It's also much smaller than the DJI P4 power supply that I was going to buy. Even better, now I can stop charging my Ultra CS batteries with my lab bench supply and jumper wires, which was getting old fast.

Mark

Thanks to the OP for inspiring me to look through that box of old power supply bricks in the garage. I have a couple of cheap (I think they were under 10 bucks on amazon) laptop supplies and quickly cracked one open (search YouTube for "open laptop power supply" and you'll see a bunch that use a little gasoline - worked AMAZINGLY well). A few minutes with a soldering iron and I was in business.

I've been using a P3 PSU that I got second hand, but am trying to reduce the volume of my gear to fit it all (Mavic Air + Batts + CS + Batts + Charger + CS + accessories and chargers) into one of the knockoff Pelicans from Harbor Freight and CNC some EVA foam to make it all fit. After opening the Laptop PSU I realized I could eek out even a little more space if I didn't use the original laptop PSU case but made my own. So I printed a smaller custom case.

So happy to not have to lug around that P3 PSU just to charge my display batteries.

The progression from P3 PSU to custom PSU:

CVbY5mUDTyets%UjqEu0Og.jpg

Reactions: Anthony
The Crystalsky charging hub requires an input voltage between 17.3 and 26.2 VDC at a minimum of 57 Watts. A typical HP laptop power supply e.g. HP67774 is able to fulfill these requirements, supplying 19.5 VDC / 65 Watts. Even the connector is the same. However, the pinout is different and therefore a minor wiring change or adaptor is required to make it work:

HP power connector:
Outer tube = GND
Inner tube = +19.5 VDC
Pin = ID

Crystalsky charging hub:
Outer tube = GND
Inner tube = not required
Pin = +19.5 VDC

How did you modify the connector?

Open the brick. The three conductors from the connector are soldered to the circuit board inside (which I found was much smaller than the case - hence I printed a smaller case). Just unsolder the two that need to be swapped and switch them, resoldering the connections. Takes two minutes.

Reactions: Anthony
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S