DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Large cheap tablet suggestions

SirPluto

Reactions
Hey Everyone,

Well i've just received my Mavic Pro about a week ago and have had a blast getting to start playing with it. There is one thing that is abundantly clear, my phone isn't going to cut it. Screen is to small, can't see anything. Get home to find the footage I took would have been much better if that little something over there wasn't in the frame.

I would love to get a big tablet to start using with my mavic. The only thing is I already have a surface pro 4 that I use for everything. So i'm looking for suggestions on a nice large tablet that isn't going to break the already broken bank. (it's only a $1k for the Mavic, $1,600 later....) I'm definitely not spending $700 on an ipad. So any of the androids is up for candidate. I will be using it for pretty much nothing but a screen for the Mavic. So any features outside of a bigger, brighter screen are null and void for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I went with a used iPad mini 4 off of Craigslist for $180. The best upgrade I've made. Now I'm awaiting my iPad mini mount from Norway.

iPad mini 4 is so nice! Best Buy gave me a $50 certificate for buying the Mavic with them then $100 more on sale. Fits the RC well but tight. My grip on the RC is a bit out. If I could afford it I'd buy the iPad Pro and get an adapter for mounting to the remote controller but the mini is so much better than my phone. Plus one can use the phone as, well, a phone lol.

Nvidia Shield or Nvidia Shield K1 They're almost the same thing. I just picked one up local from Facebook Marketplace for $125

I could also do with a bigger screen. A dedicated device, stripped of any unnecessary apps and functions.
But I'd rather keep the 'rig' as portable as possible, so I'm not too keen on the idea of an extra mount or anything....
I'm an Android guy, so obviously the Nvidia tablets are very tempting, but do they fit directly into the controller?
I'd go with an iPad mini however, if the general consensus is that IOS is a more stable platform than Android.

Nvidia Shield K1 (Android 6.0) is a great choice. Works perfectly with DJI Go app and Litchi. Unlike the IMO over priced apple devices, it has GPS and can accept up to 256GB microSD card. They're about 199.00.

Reactions: Quad808
I've been using the iPad Mini on all my DJI devices since day 1. They (iPad Mini 4) should be on sale now due to the fact that Apple just released a newer version iPad

Nvidia Shield K1 (Android 6.0) is a great choice. Works perfectly with DJI Go app and Litchi. Unlike the IMO over priced apple devices, it has GPS and can accept up to 256GB microSD card. They're about 199.00.
I also went with the Nvidia Shield...good tablet. Stay on Android 6.01 for best compatibility with the Go app, Litchi works flawlessly. With shield you get a GPS, so full functionality with the apps. I have found the shield to be just about the perfect size tablet. Big enough to see clearly, not so big to be too bulky.

Good information on here. Didn't even think about the data part. I've got a wifi hotspot in my current phone so I would probably just use that for data. Definitely staying away from Apple products though. Never been a fan. Definitely checking out that Nvidia.

Is resolution something to really consider? Not sure if it's a big deal depending on what resolution the mavic is sending back to the controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000