DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Larger but dimmer tablet vs smaller brighter phone

imnotmarvin

Reactions
I have and iPhone 12 Pro Max that is nice and bright but too small for my aging eyes. I'm looking at a tablet that's significantly less bright (roughly 450 nits) but larger (8-10"). Has anyone gone to a less bright tablet and still considered it a good upgrade?

Reactions: mereflyer
I have and iPhone 12 Pro Max that is nice and bright but too small for my aging eyes. I'm looking at a tablet that's significantly less bright (roughly 450 nits) but larger (8-10"). Has anyone gone to a less bright tablet and still considered it a good upgrade?

I picked up an Asus Zenpad Z8s and have been running it for the past couple days and really like it. Downloaded the DJI app directly through the tablet and it's been performing real well, even for my old tired eyes. The brightness is better than my S8. I run the DJI Fly app, not sure of the compatibility with the other DJI apps.

And if you pick one up and ever need to replace the battery.

I have the new RC for the MA2 and picked up one of these and it works well (excellent suggestion from another member)

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up an Asus Zenpad Z8s and have been running it for the past couple days and really like it. Downloaded the DJI app directly through the tablet and it's been performing real well, even for my old tired eyes. The brightness is better than my S8. I run the DJI Fly app, not sure of the compatibility with the other DJI apps.

And if you pick one up and ever need to replace the battery.

I have the new RC for the MA2 and picked up one of these and it works well (excellent suggestion from another member)

I've been looking at the z8s but worry about brightness. Have you found it acceptable? I know in bright sun it's not going to do well.

The Mavmount allows me to angle the Tablet towards me which makes viewing it much easier and it also changes the viewing angle. I was flying it in full sun without any issues but still plan on a shade to throw in my bag just in case.

Still real new but so far in full sun, mid-day no problems...... but it could just be a vast improvement over my S8!

The Mavmount allows me to angle the Tablet towards me which makes viewing it much easier and it also changes the viewing angle. I was flying it in full sun without any issues but still plan on a shade to throw in my bag just in case.

Still real new but so far in full sun, mid-day no problems...... but it could just be a vast improvement over my S8!
I'm buying a Z8S to give it a try. Thanks for the input.

I have an iPad mini and for me it's the perfect balance of size (portability) and function (bigger screen than a phone). I have used a regular iPad and while it has plenty of visible real estate, it's just too cumbersome to haul around -- i know, first world problem... :)

And with most iPads, glare is a thing I have to work around, but luckily, most of my "seat time" is in the morning or evening when the sun is at angles that don't impart glare...or if they do, just a simple adjustment defeats the glare.

I'm buying a Z8S to give it a try. Thanks for the input.
I honestly think the Z8S is the best bang for the buck for using the Fly app. Been using it since the MA2 came out. I have a newer 5G phone with 600 nits but still prefer to use the tablet since it's bigger and easier to see.

Cool, I appreciate the response. I haven't needed one yet, sunny today with no issues but I want to have one in my bag.

Reactions: Tufargon
Cool, I appreciate the response. I haven't need one yet, sunny today with no issues but I want to have one in my bag.
Definately good to have. I usually find a shaded area or block the sun with myself lol.

Is this the right Mini 4 to run DJI Fly App for my new DJI Mini SE - arriving tomorrow 🤣
The Fly app does specify the Apple iPad mini 4 as compatible.
It is apparently semi-compatible. Several folks have noted that it starts to choke under the computational requirements for the FLY app. I run the Mini 4 for my MP and Spark, but bought a Samsung tablet for running FLY with my new A2S. I did download the software to my Mini 4 and it runs, but I have not tried flying with it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+