DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Larger Smart Device Holder Available?

MavicMo

Reactions
Wondering if anyone has seen an adaptor or something like that for use with Smart Devices that are slightly larger due to the use of protective cases (Iphone 6+ in Otterbox Defender)?

I keep my Smart Phone in a heavy duty case. Looking at the dimensions in the other thread, mine is too thick for the Smart Device holder. I'd rather not have to take my phone out of the case to fly.

TIA

Common wisdom is that there will be a multitude of creations once the Mavic hits the market and people have time to work on it. There are a couple early entries into the field. I really would like something that would allow a configuration similar to what the current setup is. That being the controller being held flat and a device, like an iPad, held at about an 80 degree vertical angle behind the controller. That being said, I like the idea that the new controller is very portable and that I can just pop my iphone into the bottom, but I really want a convenient setup for a larger screen too.

Reactions: canucks1990
Also, the couple devices I have seen put the tablet directly on top of the control sticks, which would seem to create an ergonomic nightmare. They also rely on the purchase of the DJI phone/tablet holder for the Phantom/Inspire remotes.

Personally, go buy a track phone (or a cheap android) and just use it without service (which isnt needed, only the device) an then you keep your own phone in your case, and have one dedicated to the Drone.

This holder from DJI employee blade strike keeps the tablet below the control sticks. Your arms go under the tablet (as seen in the video). He says it's pretty comfortable.

This holder from DJI employee blade strike keeps the tablet below the control sticks. Your arms go under the tablet (as seen in the video). He says it's pretty comfortable.
That's the one I saw and was thinking of when I mentioned "early entries." I just don't like it, I can see myself reaching over the screen to get to the joysticks while I hold the iPad with the other hand. It might be a good solution for some, but I'm hoping for a different configuration.

Wondering if anyone has seen an adaptor or something like that for use with Smart Devices that are slightly larger due to the use of protective cases (Iphone 6+ in Otterbox Defender)?
I'm going to have the same problem as you since my iPhone is in an Otterbox Commuter case. It's thinner than your case, but it's still over the 0.33 maximum thickness that the Mavic remote controller will accept. I have a few ideas for a 3D printed adapter to make it fit, but I won't be able to try any designs until my Mavic arrives.

If there is a way for there to mount the ipad above and behind the remote (hard to describe) that would be one thing. But the other part, there just isnt a lot of realestate to grab on to with the RC and then adding the bulk (not so much weight if talking an iPad) of a tablet, it just doesnt seem ergonomic.

iPhone 6S+ is going to be plenty big for me.

That's the one I saw and was thinking of when I mentioned "early entries." I just don't like it, I can see myself reaching over the screen to get to the joysticks while I hold the iPad with the other hand. It might be a good solution for some, but I'm hoping for a different configuration.

Such as what? Your options are pretty limited, considering the controller is the size of a soda can. If you're just using it for camera preview and the occasional tap, you might be better off rigging up a tripod.

Go on ebay or craigslist and get a cheap phone. Doesnt have to be unlocked or even have service, just has to be able to download the app and go. I may grab one turned in from work as a dedicated drone screen, rather than use my phone.

Such as what? Your options are pretty limited, considering the controller is the size of a soda can. If you're just using it for camera preview and the occasional tap, you might be better off rigging up a tripod.
Off the top of my head, I'm envisioning something that will snap onto the controller and accommodate a device holder. I whipped up this illustration quite quickly. Forgive the sloppy nature of it, but I think it shows you what I am thinking of. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6HVqafrvYJLZ0dKX2JRRnpIejg

(I don't see how to add a picture here. I just posted the link to the picture. If there is a way to post the photo in the link, please advise.)

Seems like that would be a bit "top-heavy". Plus, how do you plan to work around the antennas?
I think I'd prefer this:

Still coming back to the ergonomics and actual balance of the controller when you have to do something on the screen. There is very little to grab and control one handed. Maybe adding a lanyard would help, but by the time all the extras, including the larger tablet, you'll be looking at something that is less portable than was designed.

I like the portability of the design. But, I also like the substantial controller and big screen of my P3 controller with an iPad. I will be making something that gives me a similar setup. I have a compucarve and a 3D printer. Even if I have to make a rounded, polished oak base for the controller to drop into, I will be able to have the best of both worlds.

I keep my Smart Phone in a heavy duty case. Looking at the dimensions in the other thread, mine is too thick for the Smart Device holder. I'd rather not have to take my phone out of the case to fly.

TIA
Just ordered one from Shapeways

I see how the DJI device holder attaches to this, but then what? How does the mount thatch to the Mavic controller?
The mount goes on the Mavic controller the same way a phone does. It is about the size of an iPhone Plus or a Galaxy 7 Edge.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123