DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Largest Android Device to Fit the Stock Controller Clamp?

rkruz3

Reactions
1#
I measured the vertical opening on the stock controller's clamp at about 3.5".
What is the largest and least expensive Samsung Tablet I can use with the stock controller and clamp and the Fly More app?
I dont need cellular. Does the device need GPS and compass to work with the Fly More app?
I'm currently using an android phone and just want to up the display size for its current 5" diagonal.

Thank you!

first off it is easy to get adapters for some of even the largest of tablets.
There is a simple one I have seen that is a simple flat like "claw" clamp,
probably best for large phones.
And others that fit inside just like a phone with a "platform" above that holds
the larger phone or tablet...
I am sure you have already seen many in your searches.

I think along side size brightness is a major factor...
with brightness often measured in "Nits".

I have two Motorola phones. 2019 Moto Z4 and a 2021 Moto G Power.
Moto Z4 Nits 458 nits// 645 nits with adaptive brightness
Moto G Power 438 nits (not sure if that is with adaptive brightness)...
when using adaptive brightness... no big distinguishable difference.

But having phone sides by side... the Moto Z4 is distinctively brighter, no adaptive brightness.

Interesting because the two phones have close "Nits".
So.. hopefully whatever device you get.. the "Nits" described are "true"

Luckily I always use the Moto Z4 to fly... the other phone is just a back up phone anyway.

Here is a link, although needs updating, that show different tablets and phones sizes, Nits, and other specs you can start to explore.
Code:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18

I have made my own clamp using a sheet of Perspex and a small hinge. The tension is provided by a spring. It will take a mobile (my motorola g9 including the protect cover) up to my iPad air2 Also with the protection cover. Works really well.

1#
What is the largest and least expensive Samsung Tablet I can use with the stock controller and clamp and the Fly More app?
I dont need cellular. Does the device need GPS and compass to work with the Fly More app?
I'm currently using an android phone and just want to up the display size for its current 5" diagonal.

Thank you!
Just to address the second part of your question. GPS is only needed in the tablet/phone for updating the map (which you would need internet/cell for anyway) and updating the current position of the controller. The "regular" controller itself does not have GPS so the app relies on the device for its location. This comes into play when updating/changing the RTH position in the app. For example, if you move from the original RTH position ( which the drone knows at take-off). Commonly if on a boat or otherwise move from that original spot. If a RTH is triggered it will return to the original spot unless you change/update it to return to the current location of the controller. That is where the GPS in the device comes in.

I measured the vertical opening on the stock controller's clamp at about 3.5"......... What is the largest and least expensive Samsung Tablet I can use with the stock controller
You should measure the max 'horizontal' opening of the clamps... that's more important than the vertical. Then you could research the measurements of various tablets to see which ones will fit.

As to which Samsung tablets fit, that'll be up to you to find out... pretty sure no one here knows the measurements and cost of all the Samsung tablets on the market.

1#

Thank you!
I have an iPad Mini and a 8" Verizon Elipsys Android Tablet. Both fit in the "Standard Mavic Controller". You do have to "push" them in a bit, but they both will fit in the controller w/o an adapter (see pics).iPad Mini & Elipsys Tablets
Personally, I like the Elipsys better. It is an Octaa-Core CPU and has no issue running the Air 2S (iPad can't run the Air 2s). Here's a link for an Elipsys on eBay fro <$25. Verizon Ellipsis 8 inch 16GB Android WiFi Tablet | eBay

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS