DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Laser Etching FAA Identification Numbers on Drone.

HVYMTL

Reactions
I have a friend that has a Laser Etching machine. I was talking to him about possibly doing some work for me. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this, or what your thoughts might be.

Not a chance. Why would you put a permanent ID number on a drone you might decide to sell next month or next year or whenever? That's like etching your driver's license number into the hood of your car!

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I myself don’t ever see myself getting to the point where I would need to sell my drones.. **** I still have my first car (57 Chevy) from when I was 15.
wanna sell it :p

I’m sure someone will come up with engraved plaques that can clip on the arms like the ones they have for strobes.

Extra sharp number 2 pencil and write it on a prop.... done!

Several folks out there that are selling custom label sets with your ID number, your phone number and a "contact for reward" message, etc - look to be very well done with several color & size options. I just ordered a set from reclaimdrone.com myself - mainly to support their website for recovery of lost drones.

I did recently read an interesting post that apparently Germany has some requirements for registration identification that would survive fire - so a label would not be an option - hence some form of an engraved metal plate is needed

I put mine on a P-Touch label and affixed it to the inside of one of the legs. When I did this, I actually didn't realize that inside the battery compartment was an option (at the time). On the top, I made another label in BIG font with my name and phone number. I figure the average person, if they find a drone, will know what an "n-Number" is much less how to use it to look up an owner!

Do the numbers have to be a certain size?

No. The official statement did not mention a font size or style. Clearly an oversight on their part.

Some wiseguys are gonna make it microscopic -- and then the rule will get revised again

The rule says the numbers need to be legible. Clearly microscopic wouldn't comply with that.

I think I’m going to use these. I think I can make it work. They are super durable. They are designed for bikes but I have used them for years on numerous kinds of equipment like my cycles, photo gear, expensive water bottles, cell phone etc. Maybe put one on each battery. VeloInk - Stickers for People

I have a friend that has a Laser Etching machine. I was talking to him about possibly doing some work for me. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this, or what your thoughts might be.
Its a great idea, I etch all my expensive camera stuff too. If someone wants to buy it, they just stick a new label over it.

Reactions: BigAl07
The rule says the numbers need to be legible. Clearly microscopic wouldn't comply with that.

When I said "microscopic" I was referring to the rants posted on drone forums by persons who don't want to comply with this new rule. I was not implying that they have the means or equipment to literally print microscopically. What is a microscopic printer anyway? C'mon man

But if you want to argue semantics the FAA statement specifically states:

"The requirement is that it can be seen upon visual inspection of the aircraft’s exterior... readily accessible and maintained in readable condition"

It can be as large or as small as you choose and still fulfill that requirement. Their words -- not mine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s