DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Last Mavic Mini Post

CareyL

Reactions
I received the Mini mid-November and March 29th. sold it. A few lessons I learned:
  1. While demonstrating to a prospective buyer, (he was operating), it went above the tree line and became an instant candidate for a wind fly away. He gave the controls back to me in a panic and my first reaction was to rapidly decrease height. Extension legs on the drone likely made the condition worse. This is something every operator should put on their check list.
  2. An Android device draws power from the Mini controller and if you want to be confident then an OTG supplying power to the MC when powered down and to the phone or tablet when powered up are a good idea.
  3. Final thoughts:
    1. Unless you have an overwhelming size related, (hiking), need for a micro drone with a 2.7k camera, the Pro is a better choice.​
    2. The main point of the Mini seems to be to avoid pilot certification or drone registration. If this is you, perhaps keep it within your own property or else get the certification. If you can't pass the test you should not be endangering other people.​

One of the questions on the test is about pre-flight procedures. Getting a good forecast is always a good idea. Especially in regards to wind levels at various altitudes. UAV Forcast is the one I use. Another question is about knowing the capabilities of your aircraft and checking the manufacturer's manual for flight characteristics.

You point out some key lessons to help others learn before making similar mistakes.

This mini UAV feels so much like a toy that people often treat it that way and get a little too over eager to get it in the air. The people that are worried about understanding rules, tests and regulations aren't typically the ones to rush out and toss it in the air without reading stuff and knowing the drone intimately. First thing I noticed pulling it out of the box was the weight and saw it blowing away in my mind's eye. :cool:

1585590669119.png

Reactions: Wavecloud
Did you get it back safely?
Yes, my actions were effective. I was aware of the wind and gusts. Didn't expect the buyer to immediately shoot it up 37 m, (120+ feet for those metrically challenged). Trees were about 25 m and I was in a large and empty university parking lot.

While the Mini does have a Sport mode it cannot be accessed through a switch on the MC. When your drone is shooting away, taking your eyes off it to change modes on your MC is not a realistic option. Rapid descent is something that should be practiced both physically and mentally for an emergency.

Last edited:
Yes, my actions were effective. I was aware of the wind and gusts. Didn't expect the buyer to immediately shoot it up 37 m, (120+ feet for those metrically challenged). Trees were about 25 m and I was in a large and empty university parking lot.

While the Mini does have a Sport mode it cannot be accessed through a switch on the MC. When your drone is shooting away, taking your eyes off it to change modes on your MC is not a realistic option. Rapid descent is something that should be practiced both physically and mentally for an emergency.
Sorry, I was not pointing fingers at your experience. The buyer illustrates my point better. :)

Chip- read up again

Reactions: Starz
I received the Mini mid-November and March 29th. sold it. A few lessons I learned:
  1. While demonstrating to a prospective buyer, (he was operating), it went above the tree line and became an instant candidate for a wind fly away. He gave the controls back to me in a panic and my first reaction was to rapidly decrease height.

That's the exact opposite of what you should do. Extra height gains you:

* Better visibility
* Better reception on both ends (control and telemetry)
* More time to assess your situation and react.

All this is contingent on NOT flying on an overly windy day. My Mavic Pro can do about 45 mph in ATTI mode, which means it will make it home even in 40 mph wind (provided she's not too far away). 40 mph is one helluva wind. 30 mph is more than I would normally fly in. 20 mph I fly with caution. I assume your wind condition was in the 20 mph range. That said, when in trouble, always ascend. That strategy has saved me from at least 3 if not 4 crashes.

D

1. [*]Extension legs on the drone likely made the condition worse. This is something every operator should put on their check list.
    [*]
NO leg extensions. Check.

1. An Android device draws power from the Mini controller and if you want to be confident then an OTG supplying power to the MC when powered down and to the phone or tablet when powered up are a good idea.

Always fly with fully-charged controller and iPad (don't use Android devices). Check.

1. Final thoughts:​
    1. Unless you have an overwhelming size related, (hiking), need for a micro drone with a 2.7k camera, the Pro is a better choice.​

1. I couldn't agree more.

2. [*]
    1. The main point of the Mini seems to be to avoid pilot certification or drone registration. If this is you, perhaps keep it within your own property or else get the certification. If you can't pass the test you should not be endangering other people.​
    [*][*]

I MIGHT own a Mini if it were given to me. Otherwise, this forum is littered with fly-aways and crashes. I would never buy one.

D

P.S. What's up with the non-deletable numbers? Idiotic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka