DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Last Nights Test With VNDXMIST for DJI Air 2S Drone

Jagerbomb52

Reactions
All day yesterday the wind gusts where between 32-45 MPH. Not ideal for long exposure photography. So about 9PM things started to calm down some. Still gusting around 22MPH so still not ideal but I was itching to try these new filters out. You can tell from the lights on the bridge there is some movement (blur) but all in all I think the Air 2S did pretty good with a 3 second exposure. Even managed to get a cars light trail in the photo. After 9PM where I live your lucky to see a car on the road. ;)
I used the 6-9 Stop filter. Set at #6 = represents ND64 which looked OK at takeoff but after getting to my target was probably the wrong one to use. Still with some post editing it came out pretty good for my first attempt.
This is a legal fly over of the Provincial park 2000 feet from my back yard deck. Using my Strobon Cree navigation strobe lights I am able to keep VLOS of the Air 2S at 250 foot altitude. If I wanted to get lower to get closer to the falls then I would need to take off and land in the park but requires the parks superintendents permission and he goes home at 5PM. Its usually not a problem if the park is not busy. With Covid its dead most days.

Light trails.jpg

Close Up.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just curious as to why you would use an ND filter for night time footage.
You don't really. It was twilight and the wrong filter just made it look darker. My main objective was to get the long exposure look of the water coming over the falls. I don't believe I can get that without ND filters with this camera but I am willing to learn if you have some suggestions.

You don't really. It was twilight and the wrong filter just made it look darker. My main objective was to get the long exposure look of the water coming over the falls. I don't believe I can get that without ND filters with this camera but I am willing to learn if you have some suggestions.
No, I didn't mean to sound critical. I was just wondering what that particular filter did. I've only used a filter to have a slow shutter speed in the day time for a shot like yours.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
No, I didn't mean to sound critical. I was just wondering what that particular filter did. I've only used a filter to have a slow shutter speed in the day time for a shot like yours.
No I realize you were just asking and to tell you the truth I know very little about photography. Things I read I have to reread 10 minutes later LOL
Living so close to the water falls I have always wanted a long exposure photo from the air but never had the proper filters with my other drones. The way this one turned out with the lights on and a somewhat long exposure of the water falls I am glad it was darker then normal.
Like I said, always willing to learn new stuff. No guarantee i will remember it tomorrow though o_O

Reactions: F00Man
No I realize you were just asking and to tell you the truth I know very little about photography. Things I read I have to reread 10 minutes later LOL
Living so close to the water falls I have always wanted a long exposure photo from the air but never had the proper filters with my other drones. The way this one turned out with the lights on and a somewhat long exposure of the water falls I am glad it was darker then normal.
Like I said, always willing to learn new stuff. No guarantee i will remember it tomorrow though o_O
You should be able to get a longer exposure in Manual mode with or without the ND filters. I don't mess with manual too much, as most of my flying has changing light conditions way too often to keep messing around finding the sweet spot to shoot. I'd probably lose half my flying time just making adjustments. Auto works pretty decent and I move the exposure control up or down to compensate some with light / darkness.

If I flew in more wide open spaces with almost same lighting all over, then going manual is the best scenario.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S