DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Latest DJI Fly App and Samsung Galaxy S8 Compatibility?

kjmasson

Reactions
Hi Folks,
I'm thinking of switching teams from Apple iPhone 6s plus to Samsung S8, mainly for the improved screen brightness. Can anyone share some insight if you've switched and are happy and more specifically if you're using a Samsung Galaxy S8 with DJI Fly and Mavic Air 2.
I've searched the forum but there's nothing posted from this year and latest Fly Compatibility.
Thanks for your time.

KJ

Last edited:
The S8 works fine with the DJI Fly app. It has great resolution and a bright screen. The screen brightness is not as much as some expect because even though it can achieve 1200 nits, it can only do so for a short period of time and is limited by Samsung's baked in automatic brightness programming which can't truly be shut off even when set to manual. Brightness is more toward 800 nits.

The S8 works fine with the DJI Fly app. It has great resolution and a bright screen. The screen brightness is not as much as some expect because even though it can achieve 1200 nits, it can only do so for a short period of time and is limited by Samsung's baked in automatic brightness programming which can't truly be shut off even when set to manual. Brightness is more toward 800 nits.
Thanks so much for this answer. If that's the case I won't gain much brightness over my iphone -- at least likely not enough to know the difference and saves the hassle of switching things up for very little in return. Thanks!

Hi,
There are a few things to be aware of that I've found:
1) Android charges the phone off the controller so it consumes the battery faster (iPhone doesn't)
2) The S8 has a soft 'home' control which just so happens to be under (or right next to) the Take off button in the DJI Fly app which can cause you to inadvertently close the app when trying to take off.
3) Not a huge issue, but due to the connector being on the left side of the controller it means your S8's power button will be exposed on the bottom making it easier to accidentally turn the phone off.

For these reasons I use my work iPhone 11 instead of my personal S8 in general. However I used the S8 today and other than the accidental closing of the app before take off, it worked perfectly.

Regards,
Jason

Hi,
There are a few things to be aware of that I've found:
1) Android charges the phone off the controller so it consumes the battery faster (iPhone doesn't)
2) The S8 has a soft 'home' control which just so happens to be under (or right next to) the Take off button in the DJI Fly app which can cause you to inadvertently close the app when trying to take off.
3) Not a huge issue, but due to the connector being on the left side of the controller it means your S8's power button will be exposed on the bottom making it easier to accidentally turn the phone off.

For these reasons I use my work iPhone 11 instead of my personal S8 in general. However I used the S8 today and other than the accidental closing of the app before take off, it worked perfectly.

Regards,
Jason
Hey Jason, I appreciate this info. After reviewing a bunch of replies and doing some more research (and finding a great deal) I decided to stick to an iphone. 8 plus, to be exact. It works great for me other than when it overheats and dims the screen. Super annoying. Might as well land and forget about it when it happens. I just have to keep that in mind on hot days. Thanks again for sharing.

Just got the Air 2S and I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8 Active with Android 9 OS. The phone is all up to date and I have downloaded the DJI Go4 App and turned on Debugging in settings for the phone. I have done everything right according to the software and the apps and still the phone will not connect to the drone when scrolling through the connection directions. I do NOT see the DJI AIR 2S as a choice, just the Mavic 2, Mavic Air and Spark for the smaller drones. Regardless of which device I select, at step 3 I cannot get the Link with the Aircraft bar to lightup so I can get to the next step. Controller is docked with the drone as I have steady green front and two flash green rear lights. Solid four bar green on controller. Cable is plugged in. What am I doing wrong?

Just got the Air 2S and I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8 Active with Android 9 OS. The phone is all up to date and I have downloaded the DJI Go4 App and turned on Debugging in settings for the phone. I have done everything right according to the software and the apps and still the phone will not connect to the drone when scrolling through the connection directions. I do NOT see the DJI AIR 2S as a choice, just the Mavic 2, Mavic Air and Spark for the smaller drones. Regardless of which device I select, at step 3 I cannot get the Link with the Aircraft bar to lightup so I can get to the next step. Controller is docked with the drone as I have steady green front and two flash green rear lights. Solid four bar green on controller. Cable is plugged in. What am I doing wrong?
You need the DJI Fly app...... DJI GO4 will not work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo