DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Launching from council land etc

ashyt16

Reactions
I've seen several posts about some councils, utilities, not allowing drones to take off or land on their property. Which is fair enough, but once in the air normal drone rules apply.

However what is classed as 'their' land? The actual ground or any spot within that land?
For instance if there is some public land owned by a council with a no take off/landing rule, what if you just took off and landed from the roof of your car while observing distance rules for people and property?
Technically it's not on their land as they don't own my car and the drone is already a few feet in the air?

(Ignore all the compass calibration errors etc, this is just for info)

If the car is on council land, launching from the roof is the same as launching from their land. Just a question: If it's owned by the council, how can it be public land? Lots of places - Parks (local or National), Government properites, Private properties have 'no-take-off-from-the-land' rules. They own the land, but no the air over it so flying over is a different thing.

I mean council land that is open to the public.
So as I suggested. It's taking off within that land that is restricted, but a foot off the ground they no longer have any recourse as long as normal rules are followed?

Reactions: Prop Wash
I mean council land that is open to the public.
So as I suggested. It's taking off within that land that is restricted, but a foot off the ground they no longer have any recourse as long as normal rules are followed?
That's the way I understand it. I think the only thing that would keep you from flying over could be if the area is a 'habitat' for birds, marine animals, etc. But they should have some sort of Flight Restriction over it. Some places do that during nesting/hatching/birth season.

regardless of whether or not you put the drone on the ground ,hand launch, or the roof of your car it makes no difference ,if you are on council or private land ,the land owner has the right, if they choose to stop you from doing so ,but if you can take off safely from a public area ,then yes with a under 250g drone you are allowed to fly over most dwellings whether they may be private or commercial as long as you follow the drone code,and any airspace restrictions that there may be in place at that location,of course as i have mentioned before ,if you did do such a flight ,you run the risk of the land owner taking out a civil suit against you ,sometimes even if a flight is legal in respect of the airspace ,you still have to weigh up whether it would be a good idea ,in terms of the benefit such a flight would give you
take where i live for example a small estate of mixed Dorma and one story bungalow's , i can quite legally take off from my back garden go up a couple of hundred feet ,and fly all over the estate ,using my below 250g drones ,but i dont because there is nothing worth seeing and i respect others living on the estate ,who might be upset by seeing my drone flying over head

thats a issue i wanted answered as well funny enough
there is a local country park near me owned by the council they hav signs up within the grounds saying no drone zone BUT the app says otherwise so in fact if i am outside of their grounds and outside on public land i can fly over?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242