DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Launching from council land question...

skyfox2k

Reactions
We’ve had new draconian laws come in about not being able to launch our drones on council land anymore. So all public spaces are prohibited, no matter how big and how empty.

However, it’s my understanding that you can still fly over them.

What if I launched from the roof of my car, or hand launched my drone (whilst on council land)? What are the rules there as technically my car nor my body are council owned?

I see you are in Alaska,in North Southern pole, so different laws there...

I think in the end you are not going to be able to take off legally anywhere the way it’s going,somebody somewhere always owns the piece of the land your standing on unless your on your own land. Let’s face it not many of us own a farm. I read somewhere that the local council in north wales was try to impose a ban on beaches. I can understand it if they were full but most the time they deserted.

I think in the end you are not going to be able to take off legally anywhere the way it’s going,somebody somewhere always owns the piece of the land your standing on unless your on your own land. Let’s face it not many of us own a farm. I read somewhere that the local council in north wales was try to impose a ban on beaches. I can understand it if they were full but most the time they deserted.
Stand up and be counted. Dont cower. This is not Welsh.....

Stand up and be counted. Dont cower. This is not Welsh.....

Your right but they are definitely out to try and get us one way or another. I must admit since having the air I don’t seem to attract the attention I did with the pro and the phantom 4. Perhaps it’s because it’s red and people thinks more a toy [emoji846]

You may be right Boyo, but stand up, do the right thing, and let the local !#@% know that you are responsible, and doing the right thing. Offer your services for free, to show that the roof of the local tennis court is full of leaves.... you get my point eh?

Reactions: frank candor
Yes boyo but I’m not welsh and I don’t live in Wales [emoji846]but when one council has an idea the others might follow there lead there like sheep. Now where did I put those wellies?

Reactions: Simmo
Didn't realise this was a new rule in Britain!! Surely it's up to each council to decide the rules?

It isn’t but when one council do it the others might follow suit. A few councils have banned drones in parks it starts with one and others follow [emoji853]

Denbighshire north wales, they had a ban passed in December 2016

Around Manchester I think we are ok I've had no problems I allways ask if I turn up and there's a counsel worker about before I start I always go and talk to them explaining what I won't to do and ask if there's a problem I've had a few ask about it and watch for a bit no one has said you can't fly here I play dumb but politely ask if it's ok I tell them I have insurance and I've been asked for them to see it witch I carry in my box it shows your responsible

I’m the same I always carry the liability insurance certificate with me. I have never had a problem in the north east either. I have had some looks but nobody has said anything couple of people have took photos with there phones as if that’s going to bother me. In Sandsend I did have a guy follow me and kick off he phoned the police and they turned up watched me from there car and drove off. There was only me and him down there, I was about 300 yards from the nearest building.

The local by laws vary so much, where I live in Bournemouth it is ok to fly in parks and on the beach, just not in nature reserves.
I doubt trying to get around the bylaws by hand launching or similar is going to get you out of trouble. You can fly over any land you like at over 50m you don’t need landowner consent for that as long as it’s not a built up area or a crowd, and not in prohibited airspace. The landowner does not own the airspace. But you do need the permission of the landowner to legally take off and land and certainly my local police force interpret it as “taking off from the location” and not “was not technically touching the ground before take off”

It might be worth seeking out other take off locations like lay-bys, car parks etc as not all are council owned land

Reactions: philh24
Members of Denbighshire’s Communities Scrutiny Committee have agreed not to proceed with efforts to ban drones over public spaces in Denbighshire.

A report discussed by councillors at County Hall, Ruthin today (Thursday) followed a Notice of Motion that called for a report to be provided on the regulatory framework relating to drones and the powers, if any, for the Council to introduce further restrictions.

In order for any ban on the use of drones to be effective, it would need to be enforceable. Merely passing a resolution banning drones would have no legal effect and the only way in which the Council could bring a ban into legal effect would be to pass a by - law to regulate the use of drones.

However, the Committee agreed that introducing a ban would be unenforceable and that national legislation already in place to regulate the use of drones was adequate. It was agreed that no further action was needed from the Council.

'No' to ban on drones over public spaces in county | Denbighshire County Council

Reactions: philh24
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803