DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Launching in grass

Mattman

Reactions
I find that due to the low profile of the Mavic, even launching it off grass is problematic (hits the props)...so I put a doormat under it. Obviously I don't want to have to lug that around so I'm wondering what other ideas are for launch clearance?

There are a ton of answers already on Launching. A quick search should bring those up.

I'm looking for a diversity of non hand-launch solutions from people that have flown the Mavic a few times. Thanks though.

Hoodman?, $$$ Just a cheap rubber door mat from Walmart will work just fine, heavy enough not to blow around, black square easy for the camera to detect, can roll it up (I roll mine up and stick it in the tripod slot on my pack) easy to clean, and cheap to replace.

Reactions: Alex Baxter
If you must launch from grass, then try tamping a small area down with your foot. That should allow the props to clear it.

Opinion on the 3' hoodman being heavy enough to use with the Mavic without staking it down. I know the diameter is fine.

If you must launch from grass, then try tamping a small area down with your foot. That should allow the props to clear it.
The only problem is I fear that I grass may still get into the sonic sensors. I just finished a couple flights using a 2x2 foot cardboard square and it works great for not too windy conditions. The Mavic doesn't blow it around unless you hover for several seconds at around 5 feet. Anything lower doesn't blow it when centered. Still trying to get precision landing more precise though. Lol. It's cool that you can still minor adjust the last foot of landing after confirming a landing command.

I'd ordered a bullseye spirit level and was going to put it on a cheap, IKEA-like tray and use that for my other drone which needs to be calibrated and paired on a level surface. I can simply adjust rocks under it to ensure it's level. I'm assuming the Mavic doesn't need it to be level, but thought that I'd us that for the Mavic as well, assuming that I throw it in the back of the car when I fly.
Incidentally, I had a little Hubsan X4 that required calibration on a level surface and I used to simply put the level on the IPhone (using the inbuilt compass app), level it out and then put the Hubsan on that to fly it of that. Clearly not a solution for the Mavic :)

I will be doing belly-take-offs.
Check for snakes and drop bears first.
Lay down on your back in starfish position.
Place Mavic on belly with camera looking at crotch (you can see the status lights and helps with orientation after take off).
Make sure you have sunnies to minimise glare and dirt from the prop wash.
Keep still after take off so the Mavic's belly camera can take pic for accurate RTH.
Make sure you remain in the same position for the entire flight. This will help the RTH belly-landing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98