DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Launching on a boat

droneguy91

Reactions
Hi--

I am planning on renting a boat and want to fly my Mavic around it. What do you recommend when doing so? Should I set my RTH to hover so that way it doesn't land in the water if I lose signal? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Sounds like a good idea. Remember though if the boat is moving your home point will become dynamic. So if you take off in spot A and then motor the boat over to spot B then the home point will be recorded in spot A and it will return to Spot A and hover.

Not good if going long distance away from spot A.

Also, you should consider updating the home point after takeoff if you are moving.

Another thing to be concerned about is take off and landing. If the boat is under power and moving if you have choppy waves striking the bow then the boat can list to one side and the other. Getting airborne one should get a few meters of altitude immediately and let it hover to check flight characteristics.

Just blip the left stick full throttle for an instant to get that "pop"

This way if the boat moves then it wont impact the Mavic.

Hand launch and hand catch is always a thought in these scenarios as well.

Reactions: Budmancan
Just letting it hover is probably the best idea since you can drive the boat closer to regain signal again.

You can also dynamically update the home point to the controllers current location. If you do that every so often then if it does initiate a fail safe RTH (low battery for example), it should come close enough for you to try and save it.

Recommendation.... Learn how to fly before attempting this. If the boat is moving its tricky. Battery overhead for return must be no less than 50% incase something goes awry and u miss the spot. Remember the boat is moving, as is the drone, you need to keep ur orientation AT ALL TIMES. Even when ure flying and in full control landing can be very tricky. There is wind to contend with, the rolling of the boat... And if youre off target and u hit something the drone turns into a mini sub. So my advice if you havent fully mastered the controls and feel a bit iffy... Practise ur flying skils before attempting this

Posted from somewhere in beautiful South Africa

What's best way to hand launch and hand recover the Mavic while on a moving boat?

What's best way to hand launch and hand recover the Mavic while on a moving boat?
Consider making the home point the controller..not the position it took off?

You may want to design a custom landing pad. Something like a cardboard square that you (or someone else) can hold up and stabilise. Then you can work on landing on that rather than having to hand catch with 2 moving objects. Failing that I'd suggest some heavy duty gloves to save your fingers.

I went fishing 40 miles out into the Gulf of Mexico yesterday. I launched 3 times from the boat and got some (IMHO) good footage. My buddy stopped the boat about a mile from the inlet on the way back in and let me launch and follow the boat in. I had it in sport mode so I told him he could throttle up. I am going to edit the footage and post it on the forum.

Reactions: Budmancan
I went fishing 40 miles out into the Gulf of Mexico yesterday. I launched 3 times from the boat and got some (IMHO) good footage. My buddy stopped the boat about a mile from the inlet on the way back in and let me launch and follow the boat in. I had it in sport mode so I told him he could throttle up. I am going to edit the footage and post it on the forum.
Sounds good, can't wait to see it, better be some footage of fish too

Also, you should consider updating the home point after takeoff if you are moving.

I just searched the manual (albeit quickly) and I can't find anything on changing the home point. Can you give me a procedure? Thx.

I just searched the manual (albeit quickly) and I can't find anything on changing the home point. Can you give me a procedure? Thx.

Swipe to the left while in the app. A overlay screen will appear and you can set the home point as where the RC is.

Swipe to the left while in the app. A overlay screen will appear and you can set the home point as where the RC is.

Thanks, just after the most recent f/w update I did delve in and I did find the two options. One must be careful to choose "here" and not "there" where the drone is!

Thanks in any case.

Reactions: BlakPhoenix
Hi drones
I have completed a boat flight (on a deep sea fishing boat)
It is not easy.
We had reasonable calmness a small chop a breeze currents and a 2.5 meter swell.
The other thing is boats are not designed for drones with fishing rods and riggers.
Taking off was a little challenge and clipped the rigings but kept going.
The flying around was great with lots of open space visiting other boats etc and filming. The big issue is the landing.
The challenges of wind current and restricted landing space is difficult, however the swell was the worst.Every few seconds the drone would be up or down 2 meters.I eventually hand caught it and powered down with the motors racing. Give yourselves an extra 5 minutes to land and don't panic take your time. Maybe even land on the shade cover as it is bigger and softer.
I did have some scary moments as the drones obstacle avoidance and other sensors were messing the height control around against the sea swells. Best go to sport to switch the sensors of and hover over or near the boat and when a swell rides the boat up grab the drone and power down.

Reactions: frankiez
Been thinking about trying this for some time now.
When landing gets really tricky (due to waves) i will try a big (Karp) landing fishing net.....
Only problem might be killing the motors straight away.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242