DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Law Officer Claims My TRUST DOCUMENT Fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnwhiker

Reactions
I just joined this forum to advice drone pilots that local law officers can possibly consider your TRUST
print out of your registered TRUST document a fake, and can possibly jail you for carrying a fake
FAA Government Document, at least that is what i learned the hard way. I got off with a verbal warning.
I went took the TRUST Test on June 23, 2021 and spent 25 minutes going thru the test and passing and printing out the
certification , took it with me, went up to Hole in the Wall waterfall, and after flying around and taking
some video's, decided to pack up and leave and along came the LAW, asking me what I was up to, explained I
was recreational flying my drone and videoing, showed my TRUST CERTICATION and was informed that possessing
a fake FAA document could get me jail time, tried to explain to no avail, just told to pack up and leave
and accept a verbal warning, so I did. THE END.
QUESTION: Is TRUST a LEGAL DOCUMENT OR NOT.
FYI: I was flying Mavic Air 2. I will provide my TRUST CERT IF YOU NEED VERIFATION.
Thanks pnwhiker

showed my TRUST CERTICATION and was informed that possessing
a fake FAA document could get me jail time, tried to explain to no avail,
It's unlikely he had even heard of the TRUST program, it's only been live for a week.
Something you've printed yourself probably wouldn't look official to him.
just told to pack up and leave
and accept a verbal warning, so I did.
What was the warning about?
Was it about flying in that location or something else?
Did it have anything at all to do with the TRUST certificate?

To Meta4:
The warning was about showing the and carrying a valid TRUST document. The law officer considered it a
crime to carry false FAA documentation, nothing was said about flying and he had no issues with me flying
in the area, just showing the officer my TRUST Cert, he stated a fake printout don't get it, I did not agrue, tried showing my drivers license to verify but to no avail either. I consider myself lucky not to be in jail right now, won't show my TRUST Cert unless asked for.
Did it have anything at all to do with the TRUST certificate? Law Officer said paper printout fakes, FAA would not
issue fake printouts, enough said he stated.
Be careful out there... pnwhiker.

Hole-in-the-Wall Falls, is it also known as Warren Falls?

If you where flying in a legal area it sounds more like the LEO never got the memo about the new Trust certificates.

If the falls is in a State park you might have gotten off lucky.
Update: The OP has stated he had permission to fly where he was so he was flying legally. :)

Last edited:
The Hole in the wall in just outside the park , been there to many times, know that area real well, the officer just didn't like me showing the TRUST cert, stated it was FAKE, FAA WOULD GIVE OUT FAKE PRINTOUTS. Who am i to argue with the law, not a Attorney or PERRY MASON. pnwhker.

Never been there so I had to look it up. First google hit says its in a State Park. I wouldn't know like I said never been there.

"Hole-in-the-Wall Falls, also known as Warren Falls, is a 96-foot man-made waterfall on Warren Creek in Starvation Creek State Park, Hood River County, Oregon, United States."

To Meta4:
The warning was about showing the and carrying a valid TRUST document. The law officer considered it a
crime to carry false FAA documentation, nothing was said about flying and he had no issues with me flying
in the area, just showing the officer my TRUST Cert, he stated a fake printout don't get it, I did not agrue, tried showing my drivers license to verify but to no avail either. I consider myself lucky not to be in jail right now, won't show my TRUST Cert unless asked for.
Did it have anything at all to do with the TRUST certificate? Law Officer said paper printout fakes, FAA would not
issue fake printouts, enough said he stated.
Be careful out there... pnwhiker.
He can suspect the printout is fake. He could perhaps issue a ticket. He can't dish out a criminal punishment without getting a court involved, and the court would give you a chance to explain your side of the issue. There's no way you'd be convicted of anything for showing a valid TRUST certificate to a law enforcement officer.

The place to dispute a law enforcement officer is in the controlled environment of a courtroom, not in the field.

Your right I should of never shown my Trust Cert, foolish me, but in Nam as marine tunnel rat, I got my kicks to be the first, only issue was Murphy finally caught up to me, got my Purple Heart, young and dumb at the time. I can't really blame the officer a piece of paper which look made up good get a second glance, for the court system many innocent souls have been convicted, justice the AMRICAN PLAN. pnwhiker..

Reactions: bobj151 and FlyingB
My suggestion for the future would be to never willingly provide anything to law enforcement unless asked to do so. If they want to see your DL, FAA registration, or TRUST certificate then they will ask for it.
Exactly this. When law enforcement is involved they are not spending their time to validate your doing something correctly. They are involved to prove your doing something illegal. If your assistance is needed to convict yourself they will ask for it.

Last edited:
National Parks are one thing... Drones excluded and are no fly zones on apps such as Aloft. State parks are another. I spent 2 hours (ran out of Batts) flying in Redrock state park outside of Las Vegas. I Launched from a secluded area and flew to the Rock outcroppings taking video and stills. About 1 hour in, a state park police officer came by as I was landing. "He said what do we have here?" I explained I was doing a photo shoot and immediately asked him if I was disturbing anyone? He said "No, but thanks for asking" I showed him my Air 2S and he said "looks like something I could do with my son... to get his butt off the computer games." He watched as a Launched with a new battery... and headed to another part of the park. Who knows maybe we have another member of the UAS community.

Point being, not all State parks have restrictions... I'm not sure why the LEO gave you the 3rd degree... I would recommend taking the certificate pdf to Kinkos or the like and having them print it and laminate it to make it look more professional.

I was a bit disappointed with the format of the Trust document it is 2 pages making it impossible to just fold in half and laminate.

Having "EASY" start the certificate number doesn't help either. Personally if asked I would show my Part 107 license...

All the best,

Joe Sands

National Parks are one thing... Drones excluded and are no fly zones on apps such as Aloft. State parks are another. I spent 2 hours (ran out of Batts) flying in Redrock state park outside of Las Vegas. I Launched from a secluded area and flew to the Rock outcroppings taking video and stills. About 1 hour in, a state park police officer came by as I was landing. "He said what do we have here?" I explained I was doing a photo shoot and immediately asked him if I was disturbing anyone? He said "No, but thanks for asking" I showed him my Air 2S and he said "looks like something I could do with my son... to get his butt off the computer games." He watched as a Launched with a new battery... and headed to another part of the park. Who knows maybe we have another member of the UAS community.

Point being, not all State parks have restrictions... I'm not sure why the LEO gave you the 3rd degree... I would recommend taking the certificate pdf to Kinkos or the like and having them print it and laminate it to make it look more professional.

I was a bit disappointed with the format of the Trust document it is 2 pages making it impossible to just fold in half and laminate.

Having "EASY" start the certificate number doesn't help either. Personally if asked I would show my Part 107 license...

All the best,

Joe Sands

I took a picture of mine and put it on my Phone! Along with my FAA Drone License and my FAA part 107 License! I have also had to show them my Aloft App stating that I could legally fly there! Now having said that, if they tell me to go, I leave and if they want to cite me, I’ll see them in Court!

1) Never volunteer anything to LEO's unless they ask. Had this cop even been aware of TRUST he would have asked for the card. Says right on it to show it if ASKED by a LEO or FAA agent. Does not say to volunteer it if approached.
2) 99.9% of LEO's are ignorant of FAA regulations and especially the new TRUST system.
3) Tell him that the TRUST cert is NOT an ID so you did not present a FAKE document. It's just a printout showing you completed the online training.
4) BEST OPTION: Get your Part107 from which you get an actual physical card.

My suggestion for the future would be to never willingly provide anything to law enforcement unless asked to do so. If they want to see your DL, FAA registration, or TRUST certificate then they will ask for it.
Bingo! Why whip out a Certificate for no reason! Unless he was a UAV pilot, he would not know about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+