DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Learned something new today

Kreigor-Celtic Warrier

Reactions
I had abt 35% left in one batt this morning, so I decided to burn the rest of that power in the house in the
living room. Things were going OK 'til the batt power dropped below the amount I preset to 20%..
With that, the bird (MA) decided to RTH on its own, and proceded to try and rise to the preset
alt of 200' . Well, to make a short story long, the next thing I know my little bird was going "BANG,
BANG, BANG, on the ceiling and then it took off towards the window and finally two props connected w/
the curtain. It eventually came to rest upside down on the floor behind the couch. Fortunately and oddly
enough, there was not one bit of damage. Sitting here now (two hours later), I realize it could have been
much worse, and that I may need to do some more practice outside in the free air. It's just that in my area
here in Northern Calif, it's the rainy / foggy / cold and wet season almost every day. I "spose I'll just have
to be 'patient' and wait for the next sunny day....

Moral of the story ??? >>>>>>>>>>>>> "READ THE MANUAL" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Anyone else have an interesting / funny tale / anecdote they would care to share w/ the rest of us ??????

The mavic 2 and phantom4 pro that I have will land on low battery rth when close to homepoint or any RTH. With this in mind, I dont have to reset any RTH settings when flying inside house.

I bought my spark for flying indoors equipped with prop guards. Doing the same with mavic 2 now that I have prop guards. I fly with no obstacle avoidance which I find easier to manuever mavic/spark indoors with obstacle sensors off.

Reactions: benny01
Maybe I’m missing something. What is the draw to flying 1200.00 indoors?
I see this mentioned more than I can understand. So help a poor guy out and clue me in.

You can do it when weather is bad outside, if your house is big enough you could even do slow tracking style shots.
It is rarely a good idea though, and an excellent way to have an unfortunate accident.

Maybe I’m missing something. What is the draw to flying 1200.00 indoors?
I see this mentioned more than I can understand. So help a poor guy out and clue me in.

Well, one advantage I can readily see is I don't need a GPS locator to find it if things go south.
2ndly, I can always use the practice.. I'm not looking for a pat on the back or Kudos from anyone..
I just wanted to share my experience and let Y'all know this is the most fun I've had since my 1/2A
U-control .049 Cox Carl Goldberg Bi-plane crashed into my Dad's windshield and I had to pay him
$17.00 for a replacement out of my newspaper route money.

Well, one advantage I can readily see is I don't need a GPS locator to find it if things go south.
2ndly, I can always use the practice.. I'm not looking for a pat on the back or Kudos from anyone..
I just wanted to share my experience and let Y'all know this is the most fun I've had since my 1/2A
U-control .049 Cox Carl Goldberg Bi-plane crashed into my Dad's windshield and I had to pay him
$17.00 for a replacement out of my newspaper route money.
Now we know how young you’re not!

I was flying under some trees when RTH kicked in. I had forgotten to set RTH to hover so it started to rise up. I was walking right behind it so I just grabbed it from underneath and walked it into a clearing. It was angrily fighting me but it was not hard to hold on to. When I let it go I thought it would rise straight up but instead it took an angled path up going back to it's GPS position when RTH was activated. It almost hit the tree before I managed to push the cancel button.

That experience taught me to always set my RTH settings for the conditions and that the cancel button is my friend. I even stuck a button on top of it to make it easier to press when not looking.

I had abt 35% left in one batt this morning, so I decided to burn the rest of that power in the house in the
living room. Things were going OK 'til the batt power dropped below the amount I preset to 20%..
With that, the bird (MA) decided to RTH on its own, and proceded to try and rise to the preset
alt of 200' . Well, to make a short story long, the next thing I know my little bird was going "BANG,
BANG, BANG, on the ceiling and then it took off towards the window and finally two props connected w/
the curtain. It eventually came to rest upside down on the floor behind the couch. Fortunately and oddly
enough, there was not one bit of damage. Sitting here now (two hours later), I realize it could have been
much worse, and that I may need to do some more practice outside in the free air. It's just that in my area
here in Northern Calif, it's the rainy / foggy / cold and wet season almost every day. I "spose I'll just have

Anyone else have an interesting / funny tale / anecdote they would care to share w/ the rest of us ??????

Your bird trying to get free reminded me of a different one I had found when I learned to never bring a window crash stunned wild bird indoors and let it sit on your table while you try to find something to feed it out of your pantry. That barn owl left snot and sh.. all over the windows in every room trying to get out of the house. My mom was livid about it. The owl survived, me? Just barely.

Your bird trying to get free reminded me of a different one I had found when I learned to never bring a window crash stunned wild bird indoors and let it sit on your table while you try to find something to feed it out of your pantry. That barn owl left snot and sh.. all over the windows in every room trying to get out of the house. My mom was livid about it. The owl survived, me? Just barely.
Lol. I love these stories...

Reactions: Wings85
Thread has gone in direction of fowl so I have one.

Crashed my girlfriends VW Jetta into a low flying Alaskan Goose while driving from Carson City, NV to Reno through Washoe Valley.

Two Geese spotted. Both pumping thier wings furiously while flying over the roadway. Down draft and one slammed right into the windshield. Windshield vaporized and sounded like a shotgun blast inside the car. Small windshield glass everywhere ! Goose came to rest inches from my face!

Pulled over and braked without even clutching. Jumped out. Broken necked goose with head and body slowly falling into front drivers seat dripping blood.

Girlfriend yelling about upholstery in car. Luckily an off duty sherrif was behind us and pulled over. He saw the whole ordeal. I did not want to grab goose with bare hands. He happened to have a roll of trash bags in the back of his Ford Explorer. He extricated the goose by wrapping his hands with garbage bag.
Tossed goose on side of highway. Within seconds profile of goose had a small halo of gnats all the way over the goose. Weird!

Small fire company was dispatched to our location and got all the glass off of us. We were both wearing sunglasses so eyes were well protected.

My girlfriends Mom responded to our location and I still made it in time to Reno to catch my flight. Crazy story to tell the people I sat next to on the plane.

Great story, tnx for sharing.
Some close call vids on YT are fun to watch sometimes.
One I saw of a bus driver who moved quickly to the right
as an I-beam crashes thru his windshield and ends up in
his seat-back where his head was approx 500 mili sec b/4.
I'll bet when he got home he had to change his 'Huggies" ..

Anyone else wish to step up to the "This happened to me" story podium ???

Reactions: fiftiesnut
You can do it when weather is bad outside, if your house is big enough you could even do slow tracking style shots.
It is rarely a good idea though, and an excellent way to have an unfortunate accident.
I flew my M2Z at a model train Expo after we finished setting up our modular layout. It tracked very well with VPS and no GPS. It even limited height because of the VPS (ceiling was high enough to go higher).
Only problem was prop wash blew any loose scenery.

This post started off funny and I can relate, then people got too serious.
Since no one gave you a funny/entertaining story, here is my story.
I was testing out the tracker under trees. For I'm going on a hike through some beautiful scenery and want to get a feel for how it tracks with trees around.
It did awesome and as long as I kept it under the branches. But then...
I'd tell it but the video is better.
FYI, It says 10 seconds to RTH. I hit OK instead of CANCEL. The OK sends it home NOW!!!
Check out the link

It is sad to see a good man reduced to "READ THE MANUAL". My advice is to immediately buy a Tello. IMO, the temptation to fly inside is irresistible and the bigger the drone the bigger the crash and the more the collateral damage. Further, flying a big drone inside will draw the wrath of SWMBO. A Tello is inexpensive, difficult to destroy, and immense fun inside. Set up is easy, but from personal experience I suggest that you do not attempt to fly it off your desk.

I was 17 and just bought a Triumph TR-3A which had a bad gear box. I found a used good gear box from a burned out TR3 and swapped them out. Next was a dead battery so I started charging it, opening the vents on the old battery to off gas, but I was new to all things cars. I went back out later in the autumn evening to check to see if the battery was in fact charging. You could hear or see the bubbling acid if it was charging. It was dark and I could not find a torch/flash light, so I found a lighter and went out with that. I leaned over the engine compartment and put my face right over the battery.

I flicked the lighter to get the flame to give me some light and as soon as it sparked... BOOM !!!!!, right in my face. It knocked me right back on my a$$ and felt like a dozen hands had slapped me in the face very hard. Not that I have ever had a dozen hands slap me in the face, but I was thinking that must be what it would feel like. Burned off my eyebrows and a bit of my hair but thank goodness it did not do any damage to my eyes, but my face felt like a bad sunburn for a few days.

I thought to myself..., this was a chemistry lesson, battery acid fumes are explosive, so keep all flame away from such fumes, for ever more. Boy I was lucky that evening, battery was definitely charging.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair