DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Learning to fly the Mini 2

graywoulf

Reactions
Well, I am in a new learning curve sort of with the Mini 2 as compared to my Spark. First off, this thing is fast even in cine mode. Sport mode is scary fast in a way my Spark never flew. I have not had a chance to put together any video to watch yet as I am just flying near my house which is in a congested area. The Mini 2 has totally ignored the power and utility lines as well as the nearby cell tower which I just flew around and over. No glitches or signal loss whatsoever.

As I am using an iPad Mini 4 with WiFi and cellular, I was getting the message of "Mobile device CPU fully loaded" which after a bit of research on that subject, I tried the iPad in airplane mode on my last flight and I never got that warning throughout the flight. Just a prompt to turn Bluetooth on which I just cancelled. I am looking forward to finding a nice scenic area to fly in soon so I can make a decent video.

Take care all!

At a guess you are on a recent version of the FLY app, I would suggest you go in the "Control" menu then scroll down and enter the "advanced" menu and set the EXP settings for both normal and sports mode to 0.5 which results in the graphs having straight lines. The reason being it give a consistent change in drone response for equal amounts of stick movement at all places in the sticks movement i.e. predictability. Other EXP values cause curves in the graphs and introduce variablility into the response to for a given stick movement that dependens where in the graph the stick is.
Then fly lowish and slow doing horizontal loops and figures of 8 etc. in wide open spaces. Height can put the drone up into wind.
Trees will jump out to grab your drone.
Read the manual and ask questions about things you even just think you do not understand,

I am in a new learning curve sort of with the Mini 2

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. I am a Mini 2 Flyer and I know the excitement of flight. So, if I may offer some advice.

Do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 2. You will also find the 75-page User's Manual, in case your Drone did not come with one. The User Manuals are published in different languages.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

DJI Mini 2 - Download Center - DJI

Happy and Safe Droning…

Thanks guys for all of the helpful tips and suggestions. As I am new to this forum, I think I should tell you all that I am a seasoned drone and quadcopter FPV pilot. I have been flying the aforementioned aircraft for a few years as well as building my own "foamie" planes.

As for practice, I have just about every simulator out there which I use for fun and entertainment as well as keeping my fingers keen on the sticks. I admit that I have not flown any FPV flights in a while but have kept my two Sparks from gathering dust.

I also watch YouTube videos a lot for instructions and tips and for the entertainment of seeing some great scenery. I learn a lot watching the videos.

Again, I thank you all for the replies and valuable information. ThumbswayupThumbswayup

Reactions: LoudThunder
At a guess you are on a recent version of the FLY app, I would suggest you go in the "Control" menu then scroll down and enter the "advanced" menu and set the EXP settings for both normal and sports mode to 0.5 which results in the graphs having straight lines. The reason being it give a consistent change in drone response for equal amounts of stick movement at all places in the sticks movement i.e. predictability. Other EXP values cause curves in the graphs and introduce variablility into the response to for a given stick movement that dependens where in the graph the stick is.
Then fly lowish and slow doing horizontal loops and figures of 8 etc. in wide open spaces. Height can put the drone up into wind.
Trees will jump out to grab your drone.
Read the manual and ask questions about things you even just think you do not understand,
Thank you very much for bringing the advanced menu to my attention. Those suggestions will be most helpful for sure. 👍

Using the Cine mode for your initial flights is a good idea. Be aware that the controller defaults to Normal flight mode on takeoff, even if the switch is set to Cine. You'll need to move the switch away from Cine and back to set the flight mode to Cine.

Get comfortable with the "reversal" of control inputs while the drone is facing toward you. Flying rectangular patterns is a good way to build skill and confidence.

Have fun.

Using the Cine mode for your initial flights is a good idea. Be aware that the controller defaults to Normal flight mode on takeoff, even if the switch is set to Cine. You'll need to move the switch away from Cine and back to set the flight mode to Cine.

Get comfortable with the "reversal" of control inputs while the drone is facing toward you. Flying rectangular patterns is a good way to build skill and confidence.

Have fun.
THIS. I've been frustrated for months with my Air 2S and before that, my mini 2 because it seemed too "jumpy" even in Cine. Only yesterday did I notice as I was getting ready to take off that it was in Normal! I had read about this reset before, but kept forgetting. Not again...and had a good, well controlled flight session.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. I am a Mini 2 Flyer and I know the excitement of flight. So, if I may offer some advice.

Do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 2. You will also find the 75-page User's Manual, in case your Drone did not come with one. The User Manuals are published in different languages.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Happy and Safe Droning…
An excellent offer of advice. I'm printing it out, and I've been learning to fly my Mini 2 for about three weeks now. Keeping the blade guard on since I've already had a couple blade-breaking crashes.

Ken

Reactions: graywoulf
I also recommend Pilot Institute's "Drone Maneuvers Mastery" course. Greg runs you through a bunch of exercises with increasing levels of complexity to get comfortable/familiar with the sticks and gimbal control.
Agree. I am working my way through these at the present time, although held up by rain. The exercises get demanding, you really have to have your brain in "done mode" to master many of these. Great course, huge fun.

An excellent offer of advice. I'm printing it out, and I've been learning to fly my Mini 2 for about three weeks now. Keeping the blade guard on since I've already had a couple blade-breaking crashes.

Ken
I had my first crash yesterday. The Mini 2 clipped a utility pole's guy wire. It broke one blade and flipped the Mini 2 over which made it shut down and fall about 2 feet into the grass. No noticeable damage other than the broken blade but today, I made a flight and when it first took off, I got an "gimbal stuck" message. I landed it and turned it off and back on and the gimbal was moving normally as far as I can tell. Check my next post. I posted a video I made today. See what you think.

Well, here is my first video made with my Mini 2. I had a very minor crash yesterday and broke a blade. The Mini 2 fell about 2 feet onto the grass. See what you think. I noticed some shake and lines when the gimbal is pointing straight down.

That's some wonky shakin' going on.
  • Number one thing I'd suggest is to slow down. The camera moves and swings around too fast. Look at adjusting your gimbal and yaw smoothness/speed.
  • From about the 1:00-2:30 mark, I'd go less sky (say 1/3 sky, 2/3 ground) and bring out the detail in the ground. There were sections that just looked black.

Well, here is my first video made with my Mini 2. I had a very minor crash yesterday and broke a blade. The Mini 2 fell about 2 feet onto the grass. See what you think. I noticed some shake and lines when the gimbal is pointing straight down.

I like that you finished off with Agnetha. I take it that wasn't your first drone flight. Mostly smooth, as well as the music.

That's some wonky shakin' going on.
  • Number one thing I'd suggest is to slow down. The camera moves and swings around too fast. Look at adjusting your gimbal and yaw smoothness/speed.
  • From about the 1:00-2:30 mark, I'd go less sky (say 1/3 sky, 2/3 ground) and bring out the detail in the ground. There were sections that just looked black.
Thanks for your comments. I was however not really trying to get the best cinematic shots in this flight and while I am familiar with the rule of thirds, I thought that the clouds at that time were a much more interesting subject than what could be seen on the ground in my area.

I did set some smooth movements in cine mode but I guess I need to do more tweaking in the normal mode which I was using during this flight. But as I have not honed my cinematic skills yet, after I move and can find a more scenic setting to fly in, I will be working on those skills. Take care!

Reactions: ThatBeardedDroneGuy
I noticed some shake and lines when the gimbal is pointing straight down.

This reply deals mainly with the flight issues rather than your videography…

At 0:06 seconds (right in the beginning of your video) I noticed that you rose straight up, probably less than 10' from the power lines that almost run over your driveway… I also saw the video "wander" like looking through the "heat waves" over a hot roadway,

At 0:45 seconds, you pan over a Power Sub-station just across the street from you house…

At 0:52 seconds, you pan to the sky, nice clouds, but as others said, too much sky, no more than 1/3rd for balance…

Also, as others said, too fast on the Yaw, plenty of YouTube videos to show how to adjust the Yaw and Gimbal Pitch for smooth cinematic footage.

At 2:48, you pan down and I see a cell tower…

What happened to your video at 3:04??? Cell tower interference?

At 4:20, You flew your Spark over a cemetery, Not Good for Public Relations… No one wants a Drone buzzing them as they mourn a departed one. There may even be laws in some locations relative to this…

At 5:20, it's a good thing you did not buzz your friend's house, that's a great way to acquire a "was-a-friend"…

At 6:06, "heading home" right over that Cell Tower again???

At 6:10, was that you flying the drone or was it performing a RTH?

At 6:34, again I saw the video "wander" like looking through the "heat waves" over a hot roadway, it was also occurring as you get closer to those Power Lines in front of your driveway…

The User Manual says stay away from power lines, not just because of the possibility of hitting them, but also they are a tremendous source of RF interference, as proven as you flew by them twice on takeoff and landing as well as the video bobble as you flew over the cell phone tower… In addition to the sub-station across the street from your house can only exasperate an already "dodgy issue."

You can fly past power lines all day and never have an issue, then you just have to fly by one that has "weak connections" and it's leaking RF signals that disrupt your connection to your drone. You are lucky that it only appears to disrupt your reception from the camera. Perhaps if you submitted your flight logs for evaluation, they might show signal loss.

Any case, the rest is up to you. I'm attaching a link to the Mini 2 Unser Manual. After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Happy and Safe Droning…

This reply deals mainly with the flight issues rather than your videography…

At 0:06 seconds (right in the beginning of your video) I noticed that you rose straight up, probably less than 10' from the power lines that almost run over your driveway… I also saw the video "wander" like looking through the "heat waves" over a hot roadway,

At 0:45 seconds, you pan over a Power Sub-station just across the street from you house…

At 0:52 seconds, you pan to the sky, nice clouds, but as others said, too much sky, no more than 1/3rd for balance…

Also, as others said, too fast on the Yaw, plenty of YouTube videos to show how to adjust the Yaw and Gimbal Pitch for smooth cinematic footage.

At 2:48, you pan down and I see a cell tower…

What happened to your video at 3:04??? Cell tower interference?

At 4:20, You flew your Spark over a cemetery, Not Good for Public Relations… No one wants a Drone buzzing them as they mourn a departed one. There may even be laws in some locations relative to this…

At 5:20, it's a good thing you did not buzz your friend's house, that's a great way to acquire a "was-a-friend"…

At 6:06, "heading home" right over that Cell Tower again???

At 6:10, was that you flying the drone or was it performing a RTH?

At 6:34, again I saw the video "wander" like looking through the "heat waves" over a hot roadway, it was also occurring as you get closer to those Power Lines in front of your driveway…

The User Manual says stay away from power lines, not just because of the possibility of hitting them, but also they are a tremendous source of RF interference, as proven as you flew by them twice on takeoff and landing as well as the video bobble as you flew over the cell phone tower… In addition to the sub-station across the street from your house can only exasperate an already "dodgy issue."

You can fly past power lines all day and never have an issue, then you just have to fly by one that has "weak connections" and it's leaking RF signals that disrupt your connection to your drone. You are lucky that it only appears to disrupt your reception from the camera. Perhaps if you submitted your flight logs for evaluation, they might show signal loss.

Any case, the rest is up to you. I'm attaching a link to the Mini 2 Unser Manual. After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Happy and Safe Droning…
@LoudThunder,

Thank you for your comments and observations. Please allow me to clarify some things for you per the timeline instances you pointed out.

At 0:06 and 0:45 seconds... I have never had any problems flying here in this environment. I have even flown my Spark up and between the high tension power lines.

At 0:52 seconds: The sky was my intentional 2/3rds of my subject. The clouds looked better than what was on the ground to me.

What happened to your video at 3:04?:
That was a transitional effect provided by Filmora. I agree that it does look like electrical interference.

At 6:10: I was flying the drone.

At 6:34: The "wandering" or "heat effect" was vibrations provided by two slightly damaged props that I did not see in my previous damage assessment.

Now to address some of your other concerns...

That is the church that I have attended many times and I have permission to fly there. There was no one there and no funeral services being held there at that time. I did not fly over the cementary.

The friends house is empty. We buried that poor dear soul three weeks ago. Besides that, I have flown my Spark there while she watched in amazement and was thrilled to see the video of the flight.

And thank you for the manual. I already have one that I downloaded two weeks ago and have read through twice now.

Please see my next post and have a great weekend! :DThumbswayup

Well, I have the vibration and wavy lines problem solved and fixed. Turns out that I had two props that had small chips broken out of the very tips and two props with hairline cracks in them as well which was causing a slight vibration. My eyesight up close isn't what it used to be so I will be way more careful with my future flight checks.

Here is a video that I made today while doing a flight check after the repairs. NO wavy lines, No jitters and no interference from the power lines or the cell tower. See for yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoudThunder
Well, I have the vibration and wavy lines problem solved and fixed. Turns out that I had two props that had small chips broken out of the very tips and two props with hairline cracks in them as well which was causing a slight vibration. My eyesight up close isn't what it used to be so I will be way more careful with my future flight checks.

Here is a video that I made today while doing a flight check after the repairs. NO wavy lines, No jitters and no interference from the power lines or the cell tower. See for yourself.

I still see the "wavy heat like lines" from 0:05 to 0:10. Make sure you are viewing on a large screen and maybe replay it several time. I do not know if it's RF interference or not. But remember, I do not have a "dog in this fight", I have nothing to gain, it's not like I win. I'm just trying to tell you, something seems suspicious…

OK, from 0:39 to 1:24, as you slowly rose up, and as they say, stared directly into the eye of the Devil (the electrical lines…), I saw no "Disturbance in the Force (as they say…)" But I know what I saw as you lifted off…

I do have to admit, at 2:00, as you flew over the high-voltage transmission tower, you certainly "danced with the devil…"

A 4:25, it was almost as if you were daring the Cell phone tower to "Zap" you… and I saw you put the tower between you and the Drone and there were no "bobbles or stuttering".

And you certainly put you Drone through its paces and it seemed to pass with flying colors, but I still say there is something flakey with the first 0:05 to 0:10 seconds.

Perhaps it's your camera, or just an "artifact" of the pattern, grain, or surface of your driveway and is nothing more…

Any case, Happy Droning and Fly Safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potenthockey0