DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Leg Extensions - Is it reliable?

Rangerider

Reactions
I haven't seen a thread on this after searching but have seen posts on them in other threads so here goes.

I got the PGY extensions on Amazon and put them on. The rear extensions fit fine as they snap into place. They are easy to remove. The front extensions fit over the antenna/legs with a friction fit and fit snugly and stayed on during a brief flight. The problems with this are two-fold. First, the front extensions are somewhat difficult to install and uninstall. There is a great possibility of over stressing the front leg/antennas if you are not careful. Second, the front legs will not fold for storage (neither will the rears) in a case that is fitted unless the front/rear extensions are removed. Leaving the extensions on precludes the use of a case for storage. Repeated installing and uninstalling of the extensions will surely cause problems or eventually lead to one or both of them falling off in flight which will result in losing them and then trying to land with one or both of them off and that could be problematic. I do not see a problem with repeatedly removing and reinstalling the rear snap-on extensions as they seem to be durable enough as long as you are careful with the snaps. The front extensions are somewhat difficult to remove once pressed into position. Though I like the extra prop clearance the durability and likelihood or damaging the front legs especially is worrisome to me if repeatedly removing and reinstalling them. If you choose to leave them on all the time, then I don't see any problem with the extensions. Anyone have any long term experience using these extensions with numerous installs and removals?

PolarPro sells a set of foldable landing legs for the Mavic 2 Pro. I've got them and they seem to work fine. I did have to slightly modify the foam around the area at the front of the drone in my $19.99 Dacckit case. Lol. A sharp pocketknife did the trick. The rear legs strap onto the rear arms and fold up. The front ones slip over the front legs and fold up (causing the need for an extra 1/8 inch clearance in that area.

Here's the link on Amazon Prime...

PolarPro Retract Folding Landing... Amazon.com : PolarPro Retract Folding Landing Gear for DJI Mavic 2 : Camera & Photo

I use the polar pro version. Be careful when closed the front extensions they take a bit of force to close and this you need to brace the front leg. Two hands to close.

Paul C

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I have looked at these also. I like the ability to snap them on and off for storage of the legs and the drone. I don't like the possibility of damage to the front arms/legs/antennas which is a concern of some owners who complain about the amount of force required to fold the front legs for storage. They need a snap on for the front legs just like the rear legs with a peg-leg type of attachment there for easy removal. I will keep looking for now and watching for a design such as this. I don't want to modify my storage case or stress out the drone legs. I have read of one owner of the polar extensions on Amazon who says he damaged his drone trying to use the front extensions.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I have looked at these also. I like the ability to snap them on and off for storage of the legs and the drone. I don't like the possibility of damage to the front arms/legs/antennas which is a concern of some owners who complain about the amount of force required to fold the front legs for storage. They need a snap on for the front legs just like the rear legs with a peg-leg type of attachment there for easy removal. I will keep looking for now and watching for a design such as this. I don't want to modify my storage case or stress out the drone legs. I have read of one owner of the polar extensions on Amazon who says he damaged his drone trying to use the front extensions.
I have tried several brands of LG.
My PolarPro landing gear, used now in about 350 flights have caused no problems with my M2P legs. I do fold and unfold while holding the front legs between the LG and the screws at the top of the legs to avoid stressing any joints and checking these joints is part of my preflight. I have had zero problems. And they don’t interfere with my ARC2 lights on the front or back legs.
Remember that incorrect usage and lack of thought will always cause problems... user errors are very common.
The PP landing gear, when folded, easily fit in my unmodified GoPro case without applying stress. So I don’t have to remove the legs like all other current brands.
Just my $0.02

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143