DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Legal cases from Rupprecht Law P. A.

remotepilot

Reactions
Greetings All,

I’m not certain how many drone pilots follow J. Rupprecht’s web page. I receive emails from him and I’m amazed as to what is happening in the commercial drone industry and with non-commercial pilots. The link below this paragraph takes you to his website. Click on “Drone Lawsuits” and read as much as you like.

J. Rupprecht Web Site

Drone Lawsuits & Litigation Database (2018)
“When hiring an attorney, don’t hire a poser, hire an attorney who is a pilot.”

- Drone operators have flown in Class B Airspace, Class D Airspace, Class G Airspace, Prohibited Airspace, FRZ (Flight Restricted) Airspace and SFRA (Special Flight Rules Area) Airspace violations. Multiple Airspace Classes could be flown through in a single flight. The SFRA, which includes the FRZ, is National Defense Airspace.

Each flight should have been a $5,500 fine at a minimum. Why? With a typical drone operator, at least 5 regulations are usually being violated in each flight. If the operator switched out batteries, that would be a 2x multiplier because they are violating each of those 5 a second time on the second flight. A two battery job could compile a fine of around $11,000 if a prosecutor really wanted to go after you.

You can be prosecuted under state/local law as well as federal law at the same time for the same flight. Also, keep in mind that a 333/COA is helpful for getting local law enforcement off your back as they are generally trying to find operators who do not have 333s.

Even loss of line of sight justifies a violation of the prohibition on careless and reckless flying in the view of the FAA.

Drone Lawsuits - I found the State by State portion towards the bottom of the document most interesting.
- One operator flew into the Empire State Building.
- Another crashed his drone into the U.S. Open Tennis Match.
- Seattle Space Needle crash. Rupprecht Law states that this is a famous case that was all over the Internet.
- Operator flew near a helicopter. Charged with risking a catastrophe (felony) and recklessly endangering another person (misdemeanor).
- Parties and weddings seem to attract drone operators crashing into people.
- Other interesting copyright infringement lawsuits between drone companies.

Regards,

remotepilot Permission for use by J. Rupprecht

A lot to read. For individual sUAS operaters, unless you do something really ridiculous, or with serious malicious intent, then the matter is dropped. That's good. I'd hate to run afoul of the law with anything battery powered. That would be weird

• Haha
Reactions: remotepilot

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851