DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lens cleaning / Mavic Air

Amidair

Reactions
Would appreciate any tips on cleaning the tiny lens ... I got a few water spots on the lens and am concerned about the best way to secure the sensitive gimbal and best cloth / cleaning fluid to use...

Please excuse me if I'm not on the best or appropriate forum to ask this question...

Thanks!

Is it really on the lens? The Air has a clear screw on cover over the real lens, it’s removed if you fit filters. As such you can unscrew the cover to clean it

Ummm, there is no lens cover. The "cover" you take out to put on your filters is hollow. So if you are not putting on filters and just want to clean the lens, don't bother with trying to take the thing off.

Reactions: Shon and kjcbid54
I would add to what @Doppler said by recommending that you do get some type of lense filter simply to protect your lense. As a photographer I have always kept either a simple uv or polarizer filter on my lenses at all times. If you crack your actual lense then your looking at a fairly expensive repair or your stuck with a cracked lens. Filters are pretty cheap and well worth the cost. I at least keep an ND4 filter on my MA all the time but you can also get a UV or Polarizing filter if you don't want to effect your exposure.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
Would appreciate any tips on cleaning the tiny lens ... I got a few water spots on the lens and am concerned about the best way to secure the sensitive gimbal and best cloth / cleaning fluid to use...

Please excuse me if I'm not on the best or appropriate forum to ask this question...

Thanks!
I use a Celestron lens pen. I've been using these for years on my astronomy equipment (eye pieces ,telescope etc.) It isn't expensive and they work great on the MA. The cleaning pad is exactly the correct size for the MA lenses and any filters you may have. You can find them on Amazon for about $7-9. I'll include a photo so you can see what it looks like. It also has a retractable soft brush on one end for cleaning minor dust off the camera and gimbal. 1556037473333.jpeg1556037506043.jpeg1556037536314.jpeg

I use a Celestron lens pen. I've been using these for years on my astronomy equipment (eye pieces ,telescope etc.) It isn't expensive and they work great on the MA. The cleaning pad is exactly the correct size for the MA lenses and any filters you may have. You can find them on Amazon for about $7-9. I'll include a photo so you can see what it looks like. It also has a retractable soft brush on one end for cleaning minor dust off the camera and gimbal. View attachment 70390View attachment 70391View attachment 70392
I have one of these and I concur.

That 'screw' has no glass in it on the Air ;) It's literally just a ring to cover the filter threads. Also some if not all of the Mavic Air lens is plastic, so you need to be careful not to etch it (I am not 100% sure what the front element is made out of - it might be glass).

Never use harsh cleaners like Windex on milticoated optics - ammonia and other additives they use can damage lens/filter coatings, damage plastic, and they also do a crappy job of cleaning because it's not 100% residue free.

First, blow/lightly brush off any hard particles - those will scratch the lens when you rub it. ESPECIALLY if it's sand. Amazon.com : Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large - Black : Camera Cleaning Kits : Gateway

If it's a finger print or similar smudge, use a Lens Pen Mini (Mini size is best for the Air) - they use a dry carbon compound that leaves zero residue and they have a brush on the other end for debris: Amazon.com : Lenspen Mini Pro II Compact Lens Pen Cleaning System : Camera Cleaning Kits : Gateway

If it's more stubborn, use something like a Zeiss pre-moistened lens cleaning pad (you can buy a huge box of them at WalMart in the USA for $5.00). Great for glasses/sunglasses too. Zeiss Lens Wipes 100ct - Walmart.com

If it's really stubborn, you can use something like ROR (Residual Oil Remover) which is safe for even the most expensive optics: RORResidual Oil Remover (2.0 oz)

These are best practices for all lenses, not just on drones :)

Last edited:
That 'screw' has no glass in it on the Air ;) It's literally just a ring to cover the filter threads. Also some if not all of the Mavic Air lens is plastic, so you need to be careful not to etch it (I am not 100% sure what the front element is made out of - it might be glass).

Never use harsh cleaners like Windex on milticoated optics - ammonia and other additives they use can damage lens/filter coatings, damage plastic, and they also do a crappy job of cleaning because it's not 100% residue free.

First, blow/lightly brush off any hard particles - those will scratch the lens when you rub it. ESPECIALLY if it's sand. Amazon.com : Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large - Black : Camera Cleaning Kits : Gateway

If it's a finger print or similar smudge, use a Lens Pen Mini (Mini size is best for the Air) - they use a dry carbon compound that leaves zero residue and they have a brush on the other end for debris: Amazon.com : Lenspen Mini Pro II Compact Lens Pen Cleaning System : Camera Cleaning Kits : Gateway

If it's more stubborn, use something like a Zeiss pre-moistened lens cleaning pad (you can buy a huge box of them at WalMart in the USA for $5.00). Great for glasses/sunglasses too. Zeiss Lens Wipes 100ct - Walmart.com

If it's really stubborn, you can use something like ROR (Residual Oil Remover) which is safe for even the most expensive optics: RORResidual Oil Remover (2.0 oz)

These are best practices for all lenses, not just on drones :)
I agree completely with what you said. Any optics with a coating on them should be cleaned with caution. It's very easy to accidentally use a cleaning solution that will destroy the coatings. I use my Lens Pen on all the optics I own. I have eye pieces for astronomy that cost more than my MA and I wouldn't clean them with anything else.

uncontaminated carbon dioxide that fizzle stuff works, just do not contaminate peripherals. the soda dispensers have it pure no flavor. apply mininscule tear drop on target (avoid agitate) then wick it up using uncontaminated absorbent (no lint, no fibers, no particulates).
it wont chew on 1st surfaced optic.
it need not interact with target prolonged, absorption can immediately follow dispense.
In field, none fizzle avail, i succeeded with mere lift-off scotch magic transparent tape (meticulously gently)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98