DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lens glass replacement

AlR

Reactions
Hi Everyone,

I've managed to scratch my lens glass on a silly error when landing :( - I have DJI refresh but it seems a waste of '1 strike' so was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a part or any other ideas?

Thanks,

AlR

IMG_2917.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Oh by-the-way... the silly error was to have the lens pointing down and landing on uneven stone. When the Mavic lands it 'pauses and moves' so scraped the floor

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

There are plenty of scrap cameras out there from people have snapped the gimbal ribbon (but camera wasn't damaged). You might see if @thunderdrone or @salvagedrone will sell you a camera with broken ribbon on the cheap if you are willing to take yours apart to remove the good gimbal ribbon and use it in the replacement camera. Going to be cheaper than buying the whole camera/gimbal assembly ($300)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you still have any lenses for sale? Are they pretty easy to replace?

Yes I have a lens with circuit board inside for $95 + shipping. Its scratched up on the outside and the lens filter has some micro scratches on it but it should not affect your picture.

Replacement is unscrewing 2 screws, gently pulling off the cam, pulling out the micro connector, snapping the new connector back in, and putting the 2 screws back in. You might have to use your thumbnail to snap it in. Try to remember the orientation of the connector so you dont try to snap it in the wrong way.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

Reactions: rfc0001
It's great that you're organizing a salvage service. Your donors are surely flying their Mavics very hard, judging from the cracks, dents and scratches on that part.

Some fly hard, some just lose control or lose orientation and it doesnt take much to scratch the metal parts or cheaper gimbal parts. DJI still makes their gimbals very strong and have fracture points that are designed to save the expensive parts of the camera. Rubber dampers will rip off, ribbons will tear off, gimbal plates will break, but the camera and gimbal usually survive. Thats pretty good engineering on DJI's part.

My only complaint about the gimbals have been the flimsy back covers on the motors. The roll motor back cover is very easy to break while applying the gimbal clamp. And the other back covers are very tender especially during an impact. Ive seen some Mavs come from the factory with the gimbal lock floating around in the box, and the back roll motor cover broken off. You would have to send the whole Mav back just to get the back covers replaced. Luckily I have a few hanging around from wrecks.

Leave an UV or ND filter on next time, it's way cheaper to replace those and it protects your lens as well.
I treat my mavic lens the same way as i treat my dslr lenses (even if the quality is obviously not the same)

I agree. An aftermarket lens filter will protect your irreplaceable DJI OEM lens.

Reactions: Rbruz
Yes I have a lens with circuit board inside for $95 + shipping. Its scratched up on the outside and the lens filter has some micro scratches on it but it should not affect your picture.

Replacement is unscrewing 2 screws, gently pulling off the cam, pulling out the micro connector, snapping the new connector back in, and putting the 2 screws back in. You might have to use your thumbnail to snap it in. Try to remember the orientation of the connector so you dont try to snap it in the wrong way.

Ok Im checking out my options with DJI too because it was kind of a software malfunction that caused the crash. I am working on getting them to replace it for free if not I will hit you back up.

Sure would be nice if they used the sapphire glass on the lenses. Maybe they can make a deal with Apple since Apple sells the Mavic directly.

How exactly do you remove the camera?

Which specific screws need to be removed?

It is not very clear due to the build of the gimble & the camera.

How exactly do you remove the camera?

Which specific screws need to be removed?

It is not very clear due to the build of the gimble & the camera.

Remove the 2 small screws on the camera body 180° apart from eachother. Gently pry the lens at the space behind the 2 screws up until it comes up a little. Be careful not to pull too hard or you will rip the cable. The cable is held on to the camera sensor board by a microconnector that might or might not be glued in.

Attachments

• Lens body 2.jpg
    Lens body 2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Lens body.jpg
    Lens body.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Reactions: oferlaor
I tried this a while back but the lens didn't move and hen I removed the back part & that didn't work either...

Where exactly do you pry this open?

Also, this isn't the lens but actually the camera plus lens, right?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair