DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lens Protector seriously degrades quality?

ozzymuppet

Reactions
So I knew putting some more glass in front of the lens (Air 2) in the form of a protector would reduce the light, and thus quality, however its taken more of a hit than I expected. Looking very washed out. Or perhaps I just need to operate better (I'm just using auto). See attached. Taken on a bright sunny day. I'm sure the quality (color, contrast, sharpness) was far better previously, so I'll be taking it off.

This is the one I got. Seems decent quality, well packaged. "KOMET" brand.

amazon.com.au/gp/product/B08BZDD2F6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone else found the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ozzymuppet Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
Most of us use filters especially for video so I doubt it’s the problem.
You say lens protector, is it a neutral density filter, polariser or clear glass ?

So I knew putting some more glass in front of the lens (Air 2) in the form of a protector would reduce the light, and thus quality, however its taken more of a hit than I expected. Looking very washed out. Or perhaps I just need to operate better (I'm just using auto). See attached. Taken on a bright sunny day. I'm sure the quality (color, contrast, sharpness) was far better previously, so I'll be taking it off.

This is the one I got. Seems decent quality, well packaged. "KOMET" brand.

amazon.com.au/gp/product/B08BZDD2F6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone else found the same?

Post a link to what you bought, but generally if it's a ND...you can't use auto. DJI comes with a lens protector factory stock on everything I have ever seen (UV), if it's a gimbal protector you shouldn't have it on during flight...so many questions...need answers :p If the Air 2 doesn't have factory...Get this instead: https://www.amazon.com/PGYTECH-Filter-Professional-Mavic-Air/dp/B087F54ZZH or similar.

I googled KOMET...it's a tempered glass protector for Action cameras...Throw it away...NOT needed.

Last edited:
Looking very washed out. Or perhaps I just need to operate better (I'm just using auto). See attached. Taken on a bright sunny day. I'm sure the quality (color, contrast, sharpness) was far
It's hard to tell much from the image you posted.
The issue could be a boring subject without much detail or poor exposure or both.

To get an idea try shooting some test shots much closer to the subject and choose a well lit subject with more detail.

It's hard to tell much from the image you posted.
The issue could be a boring subject without much detail or poor exposure or both.

To get an idea try shooting some test shots much closer to the subject and choose a well lit subject with more detail.
See my post above to what he is using :)

generally if it's a ND...you can't use auto.
You worked out that he's not using an ND filter.
It would be pointless using an ND filter for shooting stills but there's no reason you couldn't use auto exposure with one.

• Haha
Reactions: MaxE1955!
One thing I have learnt in using my DSLR is that the more things you put in front of the lens , the worst the quality. All my DLSR lenses have NO add-ons except for those that are really functional, e.g. IR filter, CPL, etc.

Last edited:
Almost always additional glass in front of the lens is destructive to image quality. The additional glass surfaces cause slight softening of the image, and the anti glare coatings vary in quality depending on the manufacturer, causing additional lens flaring when pointed near or at bright lights.

For the most part, Nd filters to reduce exposure to get to a more cinematic image are pointless. The only effect they have is to reduce shutter speed. In the right circumstances, the slower shutter speed leads to a blurring when there is fast motion. It is rare to be flying a drone in conditions where the image movement from frame to frame is large enough to generate this blurring at all.

This was filmed on a bright funny day, so plenty of light.

It turns out, the photos look great, it's just the video (4k auto) which is dull, colorless, etc. So I guess that means the lens protector is OK, though I'll probably take it off anyway. Still not sure what's caused the video image to look like this.

comparison.jpg

It’s not a filter issue, it’s a user setting issue!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent