DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lens scratched, what now?

pha

Reactions
Hi all, unfortunately the lens of my brand new Mavic Air got scratched yesterday. I was hoping that part would be just a replaceable glass, but doesn't seem like it. Any ideas what I can do?

Contacting DJI is probably the only thing you can do if the scratch is visible in videos.

The front ring apparently can be removed, try to unscrew it. Some people here have reported that the ring includes a glass. For some others, it is just a ring. That is how the Air ND filters are mounted.

Nope, refresh isn't available in this country. Is it possible to exchange the glass or the whole camera?

Is it possible to exchange the glass or the whole camera?
You'd have to send your entire Mavic Air to DJI to get it replaced. If you'd like to attempt the replacement yourself, there are some people selling new cameras that were removed from new Mavic Airs (like here on eBay).

How bad a scratch? Using something like toothpaste on it may help (rub in a circular motion then wipe off all excess). Toothpaste is a very mild abrasive and can work wonders on Watch faces, stainless steel, etc. Plus it’ll never need a dentist [emoji106]

I presume its visible then in your videos/photos? I had a crash with a DJI Flamewheel with a gimbal and Gopro 3 underslung... Smashed everything to bits, and the Gopro had a fairly decent mark on the lens, but it must be that far out of focus, that really, unless looking for it, you wouldn't notice.

Shot a few tests and it's not visible, so I'll wait until something else is wrong and send it in eventually.

Last edited:
yes a uv filter is clear, i have one on every lens in my camera collection for this exact reason, to protect the expensive glass behind it, if a 10$ filter saves my 1500 lens its a small price to pay for sure

Hi all,
I smashed my lens during a botanic expedition getting to close too the vines. After falling 2m onto some rocky underground it turned to dust similar to autoglass. Afterwards I cleaned it up and removed it as far as possible and I dare to say that this is not a lens, but just a protective glass and the true lens is something 1.5mm tiny being located a few mm behind. Because I can still use it and produce very clear video. As a precaution I odered a UV,CPL,ND kit and will make sure to keep one of those attached.
Might be interesting for those with major scratches...
Happy drone crashing!;)

Shot a few tests and it's not visible, so I'll wait until something else is wrong and send it in eventually.

Good decision. In traditional photographic you could scratch your lens (outer glass) really deep and you wouldn’t notice anything on the picture. Much more dangerous is to damage or get dirt on the part which is closer to the sensor or even on the sensor which is almost impossible in the case of drones without interchangeable lenses. What’s more the dirt and damages are appearing on the footage only with low aperture. On most of consumer drones aperture is fixed to maximum.

First scratch pain really bad but keep calm and drone on! ;)

Nevertheless You could update us if You notice anything on the footage because droning is not a traditional photography so my theory could not be true.

I just picked up the Bower kit for the air yesterday, Was surprised to see the install ring was just a ring with no glass. Either way for 49.99 these see pretty nice for a set of 7 filters including UV and CPL.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000