DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lesson 1 - Mavic loses height when flying forwards in sports mode - crash at 30MPH :(

yes at Fill tilt boogie it want to dig in front down assend up
get it up to speed and pull back on the right stick (just right not both ) mavic looks like it want to stand up
as it skids to a stop and tries to back up
Looks like you might have got off lucky Just replace Mounting bracket..?
$23 (fstop)

yes at Fill tilt boogie it want to dig in front down assend up
get it up to speed and pull back on the right stick (just right not both ) mavic looks like it want to stand up
as it skids to a stop and tries to back up
Looks like you might have got off lucky Just replace Mounting bracket..?
$23 (fstop)

Unfortunately not - it ripped the gimbal off - just left dangling by it tether!
ed8fd9ba9ca0068bc44ca882ea45449f.jpg

Reactions: johnmharvey
Yeah - I did that a week ago. Was about 16 ft height and over a 60 yd stretch it almost plowed into the ground - almost... I yanked back on the stick and the li'l bugger stood on end and the rear end hit the turf causing it to cartwheel. Lucky for me I had the protective dome on the camera knowing I was engaging in risky behavior. All it did was crack one prop.
So sports mode isn't something I'm likely to fiddle with much.

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago. I got lucky though because the field where I was flying had some really tall grass so I hit some knee high first and it sent the bird head over heels and it landed on its back. I picked it up, did a quick check and it was right back up in the air. L U C K Y is all I could say. Lesson Learned though.

Reactions: Brojon
You got to remember, since the motors are fixed in place the whole mavic needs to angle forward to fly. In sports mode the angle is much higher then normal flight. Until it picks up speed it does drop a bit since it angles forward.

Reactions: sbooker
Yes, more speed, the more the nose will dip. Front motors set a little higher than rear. Thus more thrust in back when you are close to ground, pushing the nose even more in a downwards position. This monster can moooove.

I had this happen to me as well only few weeks back... in fact my replacement is currently in the mail... thank you DJI Refresh. I was flying too low and did not notice the slight upperward slope the field had.

I can tell you this, from watching your video several times, it looks like you are on a multi-use grass football field, which aren't level. I'm guessing you started around the opposite end of the field and crashed around the 40-50 yard line, which would typically be the highest point in the field. As well, looking at the white lines (see screenshot from your video below) you can clearly see dips and rolls in the field.

crash.png

While I think low passes are fun, I would not recommend them at this field again. We all got to learn the hard way... I wish you the best of luck in getting it repaired and back up in the air.

I had this happen to me as well only few weeks back... in fact my replacement is currently in the mail... thank you DJI Refresh. I was flying too low and did not notice the slight upperward slope the field had.

I can tell you this, from watching your video several times, it looks like you are on a multi-use grass football field, which aren't level. I'm guessing you started around the opposite end of the field and crashed around the 40-50 yard line, which would typically be the highest point in the field. As well, looking at the white lines (see screenshot from your video below) you can clearly see dips and rolls in the field.

crash.png

While I think low passes are fun, I would not recommend them at this field again. We all got to learn the hard way... I wish you the best of luck in getting it repaired and back up in the air.

Thanks - think I will be keeping it up at the 400ft mark from now on ;)

such a bad lesson :(

BTW... while close to ground is cool u could still be higher and in editing do a little zoom in... none would notice the difference..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair