Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lesson learned - upgrade the firmware on everything

RCdancer

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Site
www.dronesar.info
On Saturday I had a wonderful time demo'ing the RE Goggles with the M2ED. I was going to do the same thing yesterday with other people. Before heading out, I upgraded the firmware on the M2ED and RE Goggles on my desktop. Even made sure there were no updates for the M2ED batteries. (I couldn't check the controller on the desktop and was too lazy to hook everything up to check it at home.)

At the field, getting ready to fly, there was no video from the drone on the tablet or Goggles. Played with it for almost an hour before giving up and apologizing. I was convinced the problem had to do with the firmware updates. I had no cellular connection at the field and could not check the firmware on the controller. As soon as I got home, I hooked everything up on the wifi and sure enough - the controller also needed a firmware update. After that, everything worked fine.

Lesson learned the hard way: when updating firmware check for updates on everything.

The goggles RE should have connected with picture not having the remote controller on. Unless DJi has updated that. I am a couple firmwares behind as everything is performing perfectly. Not going to take a chance on ruining my long range with the goggles as so many others are having...

The goggles RE should have connected with picture not having the remote controller on. Unless DJi has updated that. I am a couple firmwares behind as everything is performing perfectly. Not going to take a chance on ruining my long range with the goggles as so many others are having...

It connected to the drone but no picture. I did get an error message in the goggles after it successfully connected and then disconnected saying I needed to connect the drone to the controller. Tried it several times.

I've too have had no problems in range with the goggles. I did read online that DJI apparently quietly announced that some goggles had a hardware problem that was causing this and needed to be sent in for repair.

I was in the same boat as you in not upgrading the firmware but finally decided to bite the bullet. I'll let you know if the range is still good after upgrading.

I just connected mine to both my Mavic pro zoom and Mavic Pro with having a picture and controller off. Good to know so I don't upgrade unless it's absolutely needed.

...Lesson learned the hard way: when updating firmware check for updates on everything.
I would also add to see what the update is offering before risking it. Then if you do update verify that everything works with a test flight.

I backed down everything from the latest firmware as there were still problems. Everything works fine now as before. I'd be cautious about upgrading to the latest firmware. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

In this case, DJI explicitly mentioned the requirement to update both AC and RC in the release notes:

Even after upgrading both, while the visual image was restored to the ipad, the goggles still could not see it. Backing everything down restored full functionality.
Yes understood.
But researching the issue you encountered leads to the following conclusion:

- Goggles RE had their last firmware update on 2018-09-29

- Mavic Enterprise had the last firmware update on 2019-05-14 in which DJI introduced a new encryption schema between AC and RC.

It is therefore highly unlikely that the 'old' Goggle RE firmware has the 'new' encryption method installed which is required to talk to an M2E aircraft.

Reactions: RCdancer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS