DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let's talk batteries

TallGear

Reactions
So, the Mavic Pro battery holds 3830mAh of power. It's bulky for it's power capacity and it seems lightweight.

I am quite sure the size of the battery case could hold 7000+mAh of power. The only restriction I see is heat dissipation.

So anyone else here consider opening a battery and replacing the cells? Obviously I'm not doing this until after my warranty lapses, but I figured I would throw this out to see what the forum thinks.

3800mAH but at 11.1V, not 7.4V as many of the 5000mAH packs are. It is about the same Watts. The configuration though, would always need to be 3S if you were going to use 3.7V LIPO cells, so not sure you could really do anything except add external batteries as several have already done.

Yeah. I've seen that. It may be something I look into soon.

Because of so many things that the Mavic will do based on remaining battery capacity, the Intelligence may not like whatever it is you put in the volume available. I agree the I could easily fit two of my RC Truggy 3S 4000 mah batteries in the volume of the case. I can charge them easily, I can add loud beepers set at desired voltages for warning over reasonable distances. Not sure I could ever rely on RTH with signal loss, battery capacity low, whatever. So with 4 batteries I just land, let the bird cool down, stick in a fresh battery and fly again. My max distance has been 1680 feet where I could still see the Mavic in the sky. I have never run a battery down to anywhere near the 10 percent level.

In general, ALL LiPo cells are pretty much the same volume for the same rating, so no, I don't agree the Mavic battery pack is "bulky" for its size

Reactions: Clinton1
If you're comparing to a powerbank, you're off by 3x as the powerbank specifies capacity at 3.7V. Compare Wh instead.
The size/weight of the battery is as expected for its energy content.

If you're comparing to a powerbank, you're off by 3x as the powerbank specifies capacity at 3.7V. Compare Wh instead.
The size/weight of the battery is as expected for its energy content.
I'm not. But I also haven't done a lot of research yet. I'm still very much in the "idea" stage.

In the meantime, I'll just keep flying.

The size does not seem out of line for its cell count and capacity. Also remember there is the circuitry for charging, balancer, LEDs , and power button consuming some of that volume compared to a hobby style lipo which has no circuitry and many times with no outer hard casing.

You cant go by capacity alone because a 2S 5000mah battery is alot smaller than a 6s 5000mah battery.

Building a battery tricky, DJI most most likely considered weight to flight ratio as well as cost. They optimized the battery cell choice for flight time vs weight vs motor power etc. Adding in more Wh will add more flight time, but it is at an exponentially decaying rate.

That makes no sense at all. They'd be more expensive of course.
Makes perfect sense. If they built 1 hour batteries, most people wouldn't need anymore than two.

With the current batteries, you would need at least six.

Current batteries cost approximately $85 each. 1 hour batteries could cost as much as $250-350 each. For a consumer grade product, that's a steep price to pay in one shot.

It makes more sense for DJI to have a lower priced battery, as it makes it easier to purchase batteries over time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54