DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Letter From DJI About Remote ID

xspwhite

Reactions
I just got an email from dji that reads:
We’re writing you because a new FAA proposal could profoundly change how you fly your drone – and you have 6 days to tell the FAA what you think about it.

The FAA wants security and safety officials to be able to monitor airborne drones through “Remote Identification.” DJI strongly believes in Remote ID, but the FAA’s proposal would put new burdens on you. It could require you to pay a monthly fee to fly, connect to the internet for every flight, ground your older drones, and record every flight you take in a nationwide database.

You can learn more about the FAA’s plan – and DJI’s alternative solution – at this link. If you’re concerned about what this means for you, you need to act now. The FAA is accepting comments about the proposed Remote ID rule through March 2, and your voice will make a difference in how the FAA moves forward.

Click below for DJI’s guide to telling the FAA how its Remote ID rule would affect you. The best way to make the rule better is for drone pilots to speak up now.

And make your response to FAA before the 2March deadline. Do it here:

Here is what I wrote (below). feel free to copy paste any part of this in your comment.

Cheers,

Phil

First and foremost, I fully support the FAA's efforts to police drone activity in the USA. As a 107 pilot and UAS company owner, I am a citizen first and the last thing I want is people who don't know what they're doing causing a serious accident, harassing people or being unlawful. Having the ability to hold pilots accountable is critical to keeping the skies safe for drone and opening the door to innovation

My company uses UAS technology for photography and image analysis with AI. By using aerial photos, AI can detect anything from animal migrations to hail damage on a home or commercial property.

The proposed regulations are burdensome because they will require me to either be connected to the internet at all times, or at some point synchronize my data with the cloud somewhere. This disrupts my core business model in that I have to spend more time dealing with regulations and less time providing my customers with what they paid for. As a consulting firm time is money and this cuts into my bottom line. Often times I operate in remote areas without internet and may not have connectivity for several days.

It is reported there will likely be a service fee to report my own businesses data. We already run on incredibly thin margins at my small business with all the regulations already in place from the FAA and from my state (insurance requirements, registration, etc.)

In addition, I have very little confidence that a database of all drone activity in the USA will be maintained or secured properly, which potentially puts me, other UAS pilots, and everything we photograph at risk. There are other documented cases of humiliating breaches of US government databases - this one comes to mind: [URL REMOVED]

DJI and other drone manufactures have already released thoughtful approaches to drone security including UUID broadcast and law enforcement scanning devices under a standard protocol. Providing law enforcement the tools to do their jobs is the way to keep drones flying safely, which is precisely what this system accomplishes. Forcing law enforcement to wait for days/weeks/months for access to a pre-antequated government database which will be targeted by hackers and prone to outages is the wrong approach and I hope the FAA recognizes this soon before they put me and others out of business.

I implore the FAA to reconsider the proposed approach of a centralized government database of drone flights in the USA as it will stifle innovation to add yet another layer of regulation to an already cumbersome Federal and State process. I encourage the FAA to strongly consider adopting standardized, secure and practical approaches like those already offered by DJI. UUID broadcast and scanning is much less burdensome on a small business owner like me and gives law enforcement the tools to do their jobs without having to rely on an internet connection and registration with a cumbersome government database.

hi folks I have not flown in some time and today I received that email.. so what I would like to know is if this is put into play what would I have to do every time I wanted to fly..i dont fly much and it mite be time to bow out

update I just found whats proposed seams reasonable .were I am in rhode island theres no place to fly now as of last august. id say the 107 guys are all set and own the air space. I am done you can find my mavic pro platinum in the classifieds and ebay

I thought I read somewhere that if every response looks exactly the same they will count all of them as one response. So alter it and make it your own.

Agreed.. do NOT Copy & Paste exactly. Tweak it and OWN it otherwise no sense wasting your time.

Here is what I wrote (below). feel free to copy paste any part of this in your comment.

Cheers,

Phil
I’m not part 107 certified but I’ve been flying recreational for 6 years and it’s pulled me out of a deep state of depression. This sucks

Reactions: strdr
We’re writing you because a new FAA proposal could profoundly change how you fly your drone – and you have 6 days to tell the FAA what you think about it.

The FAA wants security and safety officials to be able to monitor airborne drones through “Remote Identification.” DJI strongly believes in Remote ID, but the FAA’s proposal would put new burdens on you. It could require you to pay a monthly fee to fly, connect to the internet for every flight, ground your older drones, and record every flight you take in a nationwide database.

You can learn more about the FAA’s plan – and DJI’s alternative solution – at this link. If you’re concerned about what this means for you, you need to act now. The FAA is accepting comments about the proposed Remote ID rule through March 2, and your voice will make a difference in how the FAA moves forward.

Click below for DJI’s guide to telling the FAA how its Remote ID rule would affect you. The best way to make the rule better is for drone pilots to speak up now.
It’s great that DJI is actively responding but they are working to protect their interests and not necessarily ours. It’s my opinion that pilots need to form an independent lobbying group in Washington, perhaps funded in large part by drone manufacturers but also by membership fees, to counter over regulation.

I have yet to receive an email from DJI???

Reactions: xspwhite
I added my 2 cents worth a week ago. Got the confirmation of receipt back and link to the posting in the Federal Register. I truly hope that enough reasoned responses get sent in and that they are taken into account when finalizing this proposed rule.

Reactions: phi11ip
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851