DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Liability insurance who do you have? I have Progressive

saboken

Reactions
I just called my insurance company “Progressive” to check what I am covered for if (when I get to fly my new Mavic the controller is on its way to Dji it was damaged before I got it :( ) they said I am covered for property damage up to $50,000.00 and Personal Injurie upto $100,000.00 if it malfunctions and hits a person or property, does anyone have any experience with a situation where you where responsible for something the drone did? I don’t want to be sued and have no protection if it malfunctions and does something I can’t control! I have seen a lot of YouTube videos about flyaways and other issues that could cause a issue. And yes my Mavic can be traced it’s registered with Dji and I have a FAA number under the battery to make it legal. I just saw a story about a Dji drone colliding with a Army helicopter in NYC recently, the pilot was only in error because he did not have line of sight it was under 400’ but a special restriction was in effect he didn’t know about, I don’t ever plan on flying in a densely populated area like NYC it has to many risk factors for me.

Reactions: Ojai Tony
If you are negligent and cause damages, you can be held liable and sued. That is why you have insurance. 99.99999% of the time the other party would settle for whatever your insurance can pay.

If you are negligent and cause damages, you can be held liable and sued. That is why you have insurance. 99.99999% of the time the other party would settle for whatever your insurance can pay.
I understand the negligence part, I don’t plan on being negligent, Progressive doesn’t cover negligence, if I were to try to say it was accidental and they prove it was my fault because I was breaking laws or just being stupid they won’t pay and it will all be on me, it’s not like auto insurance we’re they have to pay when a driver is speeding or under the influence they just either raise the rates or drop the person in that case, it would be different if I was using it for profit and much more expensive,

I understand the negligence part, I don’t plan on being negligent, Progressive doesn’t cover negligence, if I were to try to say it was accidental and they prove it was my fault because I was breaking laws or just being stupid they won’t pay and it will all be on me, it’s not like auto insurance we’re they have to pay when a driver is speeding or under the influence they just either raise the rates or drop the person in that case, it would be different if I was using it for profit and much more expensive,

Just to be clear, we are talking about liability coverage... when you cause injury/damage to a 3rd party and not 1st party coverage to your drone.

Yes, Progressive provides coverage when you are negligent just like auto insurance. That is what liability insurance does. Accidental and negligent are usually one in the same. The other alternative is intentional but again, that is something different then accidental or negligent.

The one sad observation I noticed about the general public’s view on drones is its a camera to spy on people! I have had so many people say stupid things like if i see it I will shoot it down, even Progressive the first thing out of the reps mouth was “ we won’t pay if you get sued for spying through someone’s windows “ “ not that is what you’re going to do” all the negligence of some drone owners has caused misunderstanding of what a drone was meant to be,, I have to be careful flying in my area of NW SC to may people with guns
That will shoot at anything they see fly over there property regardless of height, :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Ojai Tony
Just to be clear, we are talking about liability coverage... when you cause injury/damage to a 3rd party and not 1st party coverage to your drone.

Yes, Progressive provides coverage when you are negligent just like auto insurance. That is what liability insurance does. Accidental and negligent are usually one in the same. The other alternative is intentional but again, that is something different then accidental or negligent.
The definition of negligence is something they could have been prevented! Like flying at night or out of line of sight, if you follow the rules and common sense and wind or equipment failure/malfunction causes a crash that’s accidental, I don’t know how the insurance companies word they rules in your state but they are very clear in SC, you can get a ticket for negligence driving but not a true accident that was not your fault.

The definition of negligence is something they could have been prevented! Like flying at night or out of line of sight, if you follow the rules and common sense and wind or equipment failure/malfunction causes a crash that’s accidental, I don’t know how the insurance companies word they rules in your state but they are very clear in SC, you can get a ticket for negligence driving but not a true accident that was not your fault.

That is not the definition of negligence. It's the definition of accidental. Think about it... _every_ bad thing could have been prevented.

That is not the definition of negligence. It's the definition of accidental. Think about it... _every_ bad thing could have been prevented.
Directly from a dictionary

Definition of negligence
1a : the quality or state of being negligent
b : failure to exercise the care that a reasonably prudent person would exercise in like circumstances
  • … his naivete and negligence had been the source of his problems.
  • —Michael Leahy
2: an act or instance of being negligent
  • regretted his past negligence “

I’m not here to teach English I have 2 years of college in English but what do I know.

The language is fine but lawyers have a financial interest in corrupting it. Consider that the root word for negligence is neglect.

Reactions: saboken
The definition of negligence is something they could have been prevented!

Directly from a dictionary

Definition of negligence
1a : the quality or state of being negligent
b : failure to exercise the care that a reasonably prudent person would exercise in like circumstances
  • … his naivete and negligence had been the source of his problems.
  • —Michael Leahy
2: an act or instance of being negligent
  • regretted his past negligence “
As the definition you gave shows, negligence is not "something [that] could have been prevented". It's not showing a certain degree of care (you should have something but you did not)

Progressive doesn’t cover negligence, if I were to try to say it was accidental and they prove it was my fault because I was breaking laws or just being stupid they won’t pay and it will all be on me

A liability policy usually starts with the following statement, We will pay when the insured becomes legally liable for property damage or bodily injury. A person is usually legally liable when the cause an injury or damage and were negligent. Something being an "accident" would only become an issue if the action was intentional as opposed to be accidental (an accident). But still, the liability policy provides coverage _specifically_ when there is negligence or the accusation of negligence.

I’m not here to teach English I have 2 years of college in English but what do I know.

...and I've been handling property and casualty (liability) claims for about 28 years.... but what do I know.

Should you be covered if the Mavic hits someone or something? Probably. However, there is usually an exclusion in the policy for use of "aircraft". Personally, I think you'd have an argument that the intent of the policy was not to exclude coverage for a hobby plane or drone (yes, I know what the NHTSA has stated but that only applies to the FAA's jurisdiction over drones).

The language is fine but lawyers have a financial interest in corrupting it. Consider that the root word for negligence is neglect.

Exactly neglect is neglect no matter how it worded! This other guy that says negligence is accidental did you ever hear of a judge say “ your negligence that killed your child was accidental so I’m letting you off” no because it was something that should not have happened but anyway I’m still not here to be a English teacher lol

I just called my insurance company “Progressive” to check what I am covered for if (when I get to fly my new Mavic the controller is on its way to Dji it was damaged before I got it :( ) they said I am covered for property damage up to $50,000.00 and Personal Injurie upto $100,000.00 if it malfunctions and hits a person or property, does anyone have any experience with a situation where you where responsible for something the drone did? I don’t want to be sued and have no protection if it malfunctions and does something I can’t control! I have seen a lot of YouTube videos about flyaways and other issues that could cause a issue. And yes my Mavic can be traced it’s registered with Dji and I have a FAA number under the battery to make it legal. I just saw a story about a Dji drone colliding with a Army helicopter in NYC recently, the pilot was only in error because he did not have line of sight it was under 400’ but a special restriction was in effect he didn’t know about, I don’t ever plan on flying in a densely populated area like NYC it has to many risk factors for me.
I have Progressive for my auto. I just got a Mavic Pro. I just got off the phone with my agent and he says Progressive does not offer Drone insurance. Please enlighten me as to how you got insurance through them. Is it through a renters policy or something??

I just called my insurance company “Progressive” to check what I am covered for... they said I am covered for property damage up to $50,000.00 and Personal Injurie upto $100,000.00 if it malfunctions and hits a person or property, does anyone have any experience with a situation where you where responsible for something the drone did? I don’t want to be sued and have no protection if it malfunctions and does something I can’t control!

A little late to the party here but I have a friend that works for Progressive.
Either you have an Umbrella policy or possibly HomeOwner/Renter’s insurance with Progressive (neither of which my friend is very familiar with) but you are most definitely not covered by any of their Auto or other policies.

We contacted our insurance agent and he said that he did no know of any insurance company that offers any kind of insurance for drones. He said he has had several people ask about it. I have heard from another source that State Farm has a policy, but I have no information. So, if anyone has a policy that covers their drone, please enlighten us on the details. I'm sure several are interested.

We contacted our insurance agent and he said that he did no know of any insurance company that offers any kind of insurance for drones. He said he has had several people ask about it. I have heard from another source that State Farm has a policy, but I have no information. So, if anyone has a policy that covers their drone, please enlighten us on the details. I'm sure several are interested.
Yes, State Farm via local agents , I learned that from this forum, but I learned is that not every local agent my offer it, here is state by state list of local agents
State Farm UAS Agents
Here is the thread where that link was posted
State farm insurance

I know it won't replace your equipment, but the AMA (American Model Association) gives you $2,500,000.00 in Liability coverage, $25,000.00 Medical coverage AD&D policy ($10,000.00 death benefit) and $1000.00 Fire, Theft and Vandalism coverage for $75.00 a year. I have it mostly for my airplanes, but I think it's a pretty good thing to have.

Yes, State Farm via local agents , I learned that from this forum, but I learned is that not every local agent my offer it, here is state by state list of local agents
State Farm UAS Agents
Here is the thread where that link was posted
State farm insurance
I have State Farm drone insurance here in Savannah COVERING THE DRONE ONLY FOR LOSS, THEFT, OR COMPLETE DESTRUCTION. This would include not having to deal with DJI's horrendously anarchic and antiquated customer service should the necessity arise.
Flying my drone into traffic on I-95? I'm not worried about such idiotic decisions of myself.
As far as Progressive is concerned, I have thier car insurance and asked them first about drones... It was a No-Go. They offer nothing.

Reactions: jws926
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803