DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Licencing footage

MAvic_South_Oz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Does anyone here have any experience in licencing their footage ?
Say a production company asking for cost per second or for a whole clip ?
If so, would you be happy to share here or via conversation ?

I've been asked about clips from one of my videos.
I shot this as a hobbyist, for pleasure at the time about 2 years ago, so all ok for legal flight.

It's a big production company, asking for a quote for perpetual, unlimited media, non exclusive licence, as mentioned for $/second, or whole clip.
(A note, this may or may not happen. Latest email, the editor came back to her - senior researcher - saying they think they might have enough footage for the show, but they still want my licence quote. This could also be a licencing fee ploy, not sure.)

I'm really flattered to be honest, and as a hobbyist willing to share gratis, but maybe they need something formal and paid to be legit licenced.

Any feedback gratefully absorbed . . . I will probably reply to her again later today, leaning towards the gratis or small fee if they prefer.

I'm really flattered to be honest, and as a hobbyist willing to share gratis, but maybe they need something formal and paid to be legit licenced.
If they had to go and shoot it for themselves it would cost them.
It's more likely that they are a professional business and used to paying for the material they use.
Any feedback gratefully absorbed . . . I will probably reply to her again later today, leaning towards the gratis or small fee if they prefer.
If the material is good and they are offering to pay, don't give it away.
It's a pleasant change to find someone offering to pay rather than trying to get work for nothing.
Most of my work is stills so I can't advise on costs for video.
I've sold single images for cheap up to more than the cost of a new drone.
The price can vary a lot depending on what you have and how special it is or how much the client needs it.

If they had to go and shoot it for themselves it would cost them.
It's more likely that they are a professional business and used to paying for the material they use.

If the material is good and they are offering to pay, don't give it away.
It's a pleasant change to find someone offering to pay rather than trying to get work for nothing.
Most of my work is stills so I can't advise on costs for video.
I've sold single images for cheap up to more than the cost of a new drone.
The price can vary a lot depending on what you have and how special it is or how much the client needs it.

Thanks for the follow up . . . ok I'll probably give her a call, much easier to sound her out regarding a normal situation with average payments etc.
Cheers.

@MAvic_South_Oz If not to late I suggest you post your question on the sister forum CommercialDronePilots

Possible Sect. 107 implications?

Australia but similar rule applies here as USA (we have RePL like your part 107), but same rule, footage shot recreational nearly 2 years ago, so ok to profit after the fact.

@MAvic_South_Oz If not to late I suggest you post your question on the sister forum CommercialDronePilots

Had a look there, VERY QUIET place, might rego and post up there.
Just packing for a 1650km round trip to Melbourne for some deliveries, so might have to wait until next week for that.

I have left replying until Monday, going to call her and ask a few things about their intent for the clips.
I think it is for an opening intro of a Worldwide series, so it might be worth finding out a bit more.

I've had some good feedback on the thread and via PM, so am keen to see where this goes, be happy with enough to pay for some batteries bought recently, maybe a deposit on an M2P, who knows.
I'll sound her out a bit.

Good luck !

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Does anyone here have any experience in licencing their footage ?
Say a production company asking for cost per second or for a whole clip ?
If so, would you be happy to share here or via conversation ?

I've been asked about clips from one of my videos.
I shot this as a hobbyist, for pleasure at the time about 2 years ago, so all ok for legal flight.

It's a big production company, asking for a quote for perpetual, unlimited media, non exclusive licence, as mentioned for $/second, or whole clip.
(A note, this may or may not happen. Latest email, the editor came back to her - senior researcher - saying they think they might have enough footage for the show, but they still want my licence quote. This could also be a licencing fee ploy, not sure.)

If it were me I wouldn’t over play it.
For one thing they’re not even sure they really need it.
I’d just excited to have them use my video and since you’re not gonna make any huge amount of money off it I just try to make sure they used it.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
If it were me I wouldn’t over play it.
For one thing they’re not even sure they really need it.
I’d just excited to have them use my video and since you’re not gonna make any huge amount of money off it I just try to make sure they used it.

That was my line of thinking mostly.
Shot for the pleasure of just being in the air, share for same reason.

I’m glad I waited to call her Monday , think I’ll just say if your company pays what it considers reasonable for whatever they want to use, to make the license legit or whatever, they can chose from any of that WA footage I took.

I have quite a few flights with those amazing rich colours I think they’re after.

Anything new i shoot after licence date can be future negotiated.

Thanks for the input.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie