DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

license in the USA question

mraroid

Reactions
Hello folks....

New, green, Mavic Mini owner here.

It looks like I may add a aftermarket product to my Mavic Mini which will push it over 249 g. I fond a link to apply for a drone license and pay a fee. But it looked like I would need to answer a quize. I need to learn what the rules are so I can pass this quize. Can anyone refer me to a web site so I can learn about all of this?

Thanks so much,

mraroid in Salem, Oregon, USA

For recreational there is no need to pass a quiz, just go on the FAA website to register and pay $5.00, you can print your FAA card from there immediately after

Reactions: Thomas B
you should only need to take a quiz when you are taking your Part 107 test. like @nyctosf said, anything weighing over 250g will need to register with the FAA ($5 fee) and your MM be Marked with the registration Number. to be honest if you add say LED's or a camera cover and you weight over 249g i highly doubt anyone will give you issues becuase A.) its label 249g on the side of the MM, and B.) i highly doubt any LEO is gonna Cary a scale around with them to measure drones.

Respectfully

Hi....

I went here:

It will not let me register for $5.00, but wants me to pay for labels for my drone. Have I gone to the correct place? It says $5.00, but will not let me go forward with out selecting a more expensive option.

Can anyone check this out for me please?

Thanks so much.

mraroid

I went here:

It will not let me register for $5.00, but wants me to pay for labels for my drone. Have I gone to the correct place? It says $5.00, but will not let me go forward with out selecting a more expensive option.
Can anyone check this out for me please?
That's one of the many sites that prey on suckers.
The real FAA site for drone registration is:

For recreational there is no need to pass a quiz, just go on the FAA website to register and pay $5.00, you can print your FAA card from there immediately after

yet...recreational flier test is coming down the pike thanks to the 2019 FAA reauthorization act.
As slow as the FAA moves, 3 more years?

Reactions: Gindra
Hello everyone...

Thank you Meta4 for the link. I was able to go in, pay my $5.00 and get a restriction umber for my Mavic Mini.

I was going to take a black felt marker and write my license number on the side of the Mavic Mini. But the drone looks so good, I did not want to bugger it up with my poor handwriting.

Do any people or companies sell small strips of something (maybe waterproof?) that I can buy that I could have my license number printed on and attach to the leg of my Mavic Mini? I see so many 3rd party things sold for the Mavic Mini. It would be nice to have a good looking sticker on my mini rather then my poor handwriting.

If anyone know of a place where I can buy this, could someone post a link or refer me? Thank so much!

mraroid

PS: From videos I have seen on You Tube, I had the impression that folks were flying the mini with 3rd party attachments to it with no FAA license. I suspect I could probably get away with it as well (with no license). But I am so new to this, that I was just afraid I would get caught. I am not one (at least not yet), to hang extra batteries on it and fly 10 miles, or high into the clouds , etc. So, with an abundance of caution, I decided to register it. Just chalk it up to being new I guess.

Hello everyone...

Thank you Meta4 for the link. I was able to go in, pay my $5.00 and get a restriction umber for my Mavic Mini.

I was going to take a black felt marker and write my license number on the side of the Mavic Mini. But the drone looks so good, I did not want to bugger it up with my poor handwriting.

Do any people or companies sell small strips of something (maybe waterproof?) that I can buy that I could have my license number printed on and attach to the leg of my Mavic Mini? I see so many 3rd party things sold for the Mavic Mini. It would be nice to have a good looking sticker on my mini rather then my poor handwriting.

If anyone know of a place where I can buy this, could someone post a link or refer me? Thank so much!

mraroid

PS: From videos I have seen on You Tube, I had the impression that folks were flying the mini with 3rd party attachments to it with no FAA license. I suspect I could probably get away with it as well (with no license). But I am so new to this, that I was just afraid I would get caught. I am not one (at least not yet), to hang extra batteries on it and fly 10 miles, or high into the clouds , etc. So, with an abundance of caution, I decided to register it. Just chalk it up to being new I guess.
I use the transfers from our own @Aerial-Pixel
Check them out here:

Reactions: Aerial-Pixel
Hello folks....

New, green, Mavic Mini owner here.

It looks like I may add a aftermarket product to my Mavic Mini which will push it over 249 g. I fond a link to apply for a drone license and pay a fee. But it looked like I would need to answer a quize. I need to learn what the rules are so I can pass this quize. Can anyone refer me to a web site so I can learn about all of this?

Thanks so much,

mraroid in Salem, Oregon, USA
Congratulations on your new MM. Have fun and stop by here for any other questions. Great group of people to help you.

You can attach your registration number anywhere on the outside of the AC. FAA doesn't even specify font size or thickness.

It used to be you could put the number anywhere that doesn't require tools to access, which meant the battery compartment was OK. However first responders were concerned about booby trapped drones so the requirement was amended that it had to outside the AC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929