DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Life of an unopened battery

Oakley75

Reactions
How long can one expect an unopened mavic pro battery to be solidly dependable? Would it still be a great battery in let's say 2 years?

It's dom is 2019/06 and is genuine dji. I ask this because I've seen older P2 batteries be brand new/unopened for some years, only to sadly find they are too dead for revival.

The Batteries that are shipped from DJI have a minimal charge and there fore should have a very long lasting shelf life.

This year I had a Phantom 4 battery start to swell and opened a new battery that I have had for maybe 3 years light up so I would say on average you should be ok with the Mavic Pro Battery.

One thing I have noticed is that we tend to purchase Two of everything we buy so we end up having two battery chargers and well there never quite the same , which gives me pause as to wondering how many times the battery charger is failing to work perfectly. This is why i ditch the DJI chargers and get the ones with the Fan so i have better communication with what is happening with the battery.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain : and Land on the waves.

Reactions: Marcass Carcass
The Batteries that are shipped from DJI have a minimal charge and there fore should have a very long lasting shelf life.

This year I had a Phantom 4 battery start to swell and opened a new battery that I have had for maybe 3 years light up so I would say on average you should be ok with the Mavic Pro Battery.

One thing I have noticed is that we tend to purchase Two of everything we buy so we end up having two battery chargers and well there never quite the same , which gives me pause as to wondering how many times the battery charger is failing to work perfectly. This is why i ditch the DJI chargers and get the ones with the Fan so i have better communication with what is happening with the battery.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain : and Land on the waves.
I think the DJI charging hub is a joke, I mean it works but, you will be waiting 4-5 hours for 3 batteries to charge. You are not suppose to leave lipo's alone while charging (very remote chance of a fire, that increases some over 200 charges, dji recommends replacing). That's an insane amount of time to wait. I never really use mine, unless I am gonna eat dinner and watch a couple of movies. So, got me thinking...I am gonna open my hub up so I can monitor individual cell voltages (with a 500 dollar fluke multimeter that can measure DC volts down to the thousandth) and check the quality of the dji oem charger. Also use it to check batteries, that have been sitting around few days at storage voltage.. Really though, this is all about the charger quality. Charging logic= Charge each cell at 2-3 amps up to 90% then balance charge, at a low amperage, up to 100%. Got me OCD-ing......

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lipo batteries should not be left years though, they will lose all their charge gradually and (as you said) be DOA.
Many posts on this forum say their battery was DOA with new drone purchase, and some / most (?) were able to revive them by a process that I can't recall . . . some say nothing helps.
I think if you have a M1P battery (and presumably and M1P drone), you might as well cycle it into your batteries to make good use of it.
I had 4 M1P batteries for mine, as they were being discontinued I bought another 2, so cycle through 6 now . . . all 3 original flymore are as good as they were when new, and the other spare 4th not long after . . . the last 2 I bought maybe 18 months ago.

Lipo batteries should not be left years though, they will lose all their charge gradually and (as you said) be DOA.
Many posts on this forum say their battery was DOA with new drone purchase, and some / most (?) were able to revive them by a process that I can't recall . . . some say nothing helps.
I think if you have a M1P battery (and presumably and M1P drone), you might as well cycle it into your batteries to make good use of it.
I had 4 M1P batteries for mine, as they were being discontinued I bought another 2, so cycle through 6 now . . . all 3 original flymore are as good as they were when new, and the other spare 4th not long after . . . the last 2 I bought maybe 18 months ago.
DJI recommends a complete charge/discharge every month or so, I don't wait on battery logic to discharge my batteries to storage level. I charge them up to storage level, (3rd light blinking) Then charge completely a day or two before I fly. If I have to be spontaneous, I will just use my 3 batts @ 50 to 60 %....This logic has kept all of my lipos in good health, even down to my first drone, Yuneec Breeze 4K (5 years ago). Still have original batteries. I guess the point is don't leave batteries laying around for a long time without a complete charge/discharge, at least every 6 months.

Last edited:
DJI recommends a complete charge/discharge every month or so, I don't wait on battery logic to discharge my batteries to storage level. I charge them up to storage level, (3rd light blinking) Then charge completely a day or two before I fly. If I have to be spontaneous, I will just use my 3 batts @ 50 to 60 %....This logic has kept all of my lipos in good health, even down to my first drone, Yuneec Breeze 4K (5 years ago). Still have original batteries. I guess the point is don't leave batteries laying around for a long time without a complete charge/discharge, at least every 6 months.

Basically how I use mine, except I never discharge fully, only run them down to maybe 20% normally, or if I ever really need a long flight occasionally down to maybe 10%.
I've read taking them down to 5% or lower is really no good for them.
After flight, nay still charged 100% are allowed to drop over 4 days to the normal 50%, ones I fly any lower get charged until the 2nd light is solid, 3rd just starting flashing.

Basically how I use mine, except I never discharge fully, only run them down to maybe 20% normally, or if I ever really need a long flight occasionally down to maybe 10%.
I've read taking them down to 5% or lower is really no good for them.
After flight, nay still charged 100% are allowed to drop over 4 days to the normal 50%, ones I fly any lower get charged until the 2nd light is solid, 3rd just starting flashing.
Yep that is exactly what I do!!!!! I have done basically that to every lipo I have owned....

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I made the mistake of going flying with batteries showing 3 of the 4 lights on. They had been sitting in the charging hub for a month. I powered up the controller and then the drone, waited for a few minutes for the GPS to be established and took off to hover over a gorge. The controller indicated 20 minutes of flying available however after 5 minutes of hovering the Low Battery notice appeared, I barely got the drone back in time, controller indicated Landing in 2 minutes. I did the same thing with the other batteries, they all behaved the same.
Lesson learned? Always charge to full capacity before flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura