DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Light dimming in IOS 15.4.1 with DJI fly (April 2022)

fernadosilva

Reactions
I recently upgraded my IPhone 12 to IOS to version 15.4.1. I started having a irritating behavior: after 5 minutes of flight or so, the display dimms considerably, what is a nuisance in bright days - the display becomes almost unusable. I checked the IOS dimmer and it is still at maximum, irrespective of the display dimming. It happens both with my Mini 2 and Air 2S. I am not sure if it is the result of the IOS update, but it is the only change I noticed this week. Any one had the same problem or has any hint? I am using DJI Fly 1.5.10. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Ada
I recently upgraded my IPhone 12 to IOS to version 15.4.1. I started having a irritating behavior: after 5 minutes of flight or so, the display dimms considerably, what is a nuisance in bright days - the display becomes almost unusable. I checked the IOS dimmer and it is still at maximum, irrespective of the display dimming. It happens both with my Mini 2 and Air 2S. I am not sure if it is the result of the IOS update, but it is the only change I noticed this week. Any one had the same problem or has any hint? I am using DJI Fly 1.5.10. Thanks in advance.
Had similar issue with my MA 2, I also believed it is an update, my screen basically went black after a short flight, never occurred before. I have an iPhone X and believe this occued after recent updates, ended up resetting the RC, and did a refresh of the firmware on the MA 2, also notified DJI Support, as I believed it was an update issue. Not currently had the issue again, but very cautious now when flying.

Search this forum for phone dimming issues and you will find you have joined an exclusive club of drone operators... Apple Users. Been an issue in bright sunlight for awhile (on the Apple side) and the fix is get a sunshade or jump ship to an Android.

Had similar issue with my MA 2, I also believed it is an update, my screen basically went black after a short flight, never occurred before. I have an iPhone X and believe this occued after recent updates, ended up resetting the RC, and did a refresh of the firmware on the MA 2, also notified DJI Support, as I believed it was an update issue. Not currently had the issue again, but very cautious now when flying.
Thanks. I will keep monitoring this issue and I'll report back if there is any news.

Search this forum for phone dimming issues and you will find you have joined an exclusive club of drone operators... Apple Users. Been an issue in bright sunlight for awhile (on the Apple side) and the fix is get a sunshade or jump ship to an Android.
Thanks. I read somewhere that, when comes to DJI, Apple users were the lucky ones :). And I was indeed happy until this week. But possibly I got it wrong :). Anyway, I will keep your suggestion in mind. The shade helps, but does not solve the dimming issue.

Thanks. I read somewhere that, when comes to DJI, Apple users were the lucky ones :). And I was indeed happy until this week. But possibly I got it wrong :). Anyway, I will keep your suggestion in mind. The shade helps, but does not solve the dimming issue.
Not sure how... Poor performance and drone updates come much later than the Androids...

Is it the app that is dimming, or your entire screen? Sounds like you're just overheating the display and attributing it to the update. In bright, warm days the display will dim itself to prevent damage and that has nothing to do with the app (it also isn't reflected in the iOS brightness slider).

I’ve had this issues twice this weekend. About 15 minutes in, the screen went black. I could see the little bar at the bottom so knew the app was open but no ability to see or control the drone. Everything was up to date including iOS updates. First time, I was asked if I wanted to bind the Refresh, which it already was. Second time, the app closed and I had to open it again.

Is it the app that is dimming, or your entire screen? Sounds like you're just overheating the display and attributing it to the update. In bright, warm days the display will dim itself to prevent damage and that has nothing to do with the app (it also isn't reflected in the iOS brightness slider).
Thanks for the tip. Maybe that it is the reason. I had never experienced before such behaviour, so I was surprised. But it is true that I never had the screen on so much time outdoors before using the DJI Fly -- I bought my first bird past WInter. In fact, in more recent flights I did not experienced the issue, but the weather was slightly cooler.

I’ve had this issues twice this weekend. About 15 minutes in, the screen went black. I could see the little bar at the bottom so knew the app was open but no ability to see or control the drone. Everything was up to date including iOS updates. First time, I was asked if I wanted to bind the Refresh, which it already was. Second time, the app closed and I had to open it again.
Thank you for the report. I am now fully convinced that the reason is the one pointed by adcimagery. It was probably the overheating of the display that happened in a particular bright and warm day. It happened three times in this particular day, but always at peak sun hours and I did not had a shade. It did not happen at sunset the same day nor afterwards, but the weather has been cooler. BTW, in one of the occasions that the dimming issue happened, my app closed too, but I did not report in my first post because I thought that it was an unrelated issue. But possibly it was some heating protection too.

I don't use my iPhone for flying, I use an iPad. But I've had the same dimming problem on my iPhone 12. Searched the web, played with all the settings, its when the phone is in sunlight and the iPhone gets hot. I've used a no touch thermometer and it's always when the temp goes up 10 degrees or more. I hold in front of the fan blower in my car, it cools right down an the screen brightness comes right back. Pretty annoying....

With my issue on my MA2, it was the video feed that went black, but still had GPS map at bottom LH side of screen, this has occurred a couple of times, and cannot explain it, iphone was not hot, and location conditions good, no known interference, have been cautious ever since when now flying the drone, I still think it was an update, either to the app, or iOS update interfering with the app. Had no problems before either of the updates.

Has anyone found a cooler for the iPhone that will work with the iPhone mounted in the controller?

Because of this overheating problem, I've switched to an iPad with flying my mini too.
The problem is not limited just to this particular DJI app, but it also happens when I text or watch videos on my iPhone in warm weather.
Sometimes I just take my phone and hold it in front of the air conditioning vent in my car and the problem goes away in 30 seconds so it's definitely an overheating problem

I have an old iPhone 7 Plus, using IOS 15.5, that I am using with my Air 2S and too am having dimming problems. I have done ONE test with heatsinks attached to the back of my iPhone and did not have the dimming issue. My ONE test was done in 88 degree weather with some wind. See picture:

iPhone.with.heat.sinks.jpg

I have an old iPhone 7 Plus, using IOS 15.5, that I am using with my Air 2S and too am having dimming problems. I have done ONE test with heatsinks attached to the back of my iPhone and did not have the dimming issue. My ONE test was done in 88 degree weather with some wind. See picture:

View attachment 149019
Even with these heatsinks I had the dimming issue in 92 degree weather. I am going to try a larger contiguous heatsink next.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61