DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lightening Show

garykentner

Reactions
These shots were captured over Prescott, AZ a couple of evenings ago. It's monsoon season here with frequent thunderstorms in the area - these strikes were probably 5 miles away.

Attachments

• DJI_0468-Pano.jpg
    DJI_0468-Pano.jpg
    718.7 KB · Views: 82
  • My Movie 1-2.jpg
    My Movie 1-2.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 77
  • My Movie 1.jpg
    My Movie 1.jpg
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 76
  • My Movie 2.jpg
    My Movie 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
  • My Movie 4.jpg
    My Movie 4.jpg
    938.3 KB · Views: 75
These are great. So how did you expose and get these shots? I notice several are entitled “My Movie” JPEG. Are these frame grabs from video or time lapse photos with selected frames? Or is there another secret I am missing? Perhaps you have a special anticipatory electrical event power? Beautiful photography.

These shots were captured over Prescott, AZ a couple of evenings ago. It's monsoon season here with frequent thunderstorms in the area - these strikes were probably 5 miles away.
Great shots Gary!!! Please tell us about your exposure settings if you can recall them.

Dale

These are great. So how did you expose and get these shots? I notice several are entitled “My Movie” JPEG. Are these frame grabs from video or time lapse photos with selected frames? Or is there another secret I am missing? Perhaps you have a special anticipatory electrical event power? Beautiful photography.
Thanks! Yes, I shot a movie and then grabbed those frames using iMovie to extract the ones I wanted. That was the first time I tried it and was surprised at how well they turned out.

Reactions: Mikesx
Great shots Gary!!! Please tell us about your exposure settings if you can recall them.

Dale
Thanks, Dale! The pano shots were captured in RAW with pretty much all auto settings - nothing fancy. They were shot at 1/30, f2.8, and an ISO of 120. The video settings were 2.7K, 24fps, video format "mov", AWB, and color set to normal. This was my first time trying to capture lightning in movie mode. Next time I'm going to shoot in 4K and bump up the fps to at least 48 to see if it will give me more frames to choose from.
If you've captured lightning with your drone and have any advice on optimal settings, I'm all ears!
Staying tuned for more MT content from you! Love Big Sky and the surrounding area.

Gary

Reactions: Mikesx
@Dale D, unless someone has purposefully edited or removed the EXIF data, you can find the exposure values and more in the EXIF data for most posted images.
Whoa! I didn't realize that! Where do I click for the meta data?

For Gary:
A few Montana submissions today which I guess will appear in tomorrows edition but here's the submission

Attachments

• 14 inch rainbow trout.jpg
    14 inch rainbow trout.jpg
    947.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Beaver Creek aeirial view.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • Beaver Creek Montana drone panorama.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Whoa! I didn't realize that! Where do I click for the meta data?

For Gary:
A few Montana submissions today which I guess will appear in tomorrows edition but here's the submission
A portion of it is shown in the file properties you can open with a right click in the Windows Explorer/File Explorer. I'm sure IOS has something similar.

I usually use Irfanview to look at EXIF data. Open the file and press E on the keyboard. Free download at Irfanview.com.
For the full set of EXIF data, Picture Information Extracotor does the job. Also a free downoad. Picmeta Systems.

Altitude and lat/lon are in the EXIF data, very handy things for sorting out where the drone was during a particular shot.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98