DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lightroom - how to lighten a white house

RonanCork

Reactions
Hey Guys,

Hope this section of the forum is the correct place for this ?

I was wondering could i get your thoughts - regarding a photo I took with my Mavic Air recently

I'm using Adobe Photo Lightroom v2.4.1 (it's the one that doesn't have the "Develop" tab that I've seen on lots of tutorials).

I'm only a few months into video editing so I'm still learning the basics really.. Recently I did a drone shot of a friends house as I wanted to take some nice pictures for him. I'm not really to happy with the results. I know it's only a 12MP camera too but I think I need a little help and guidance.

I'd like to get your thoughts on the image. I've attached the exported JPG. I have the RAW file (always shoot in RAW of course) but can't seem to attach it here. When I do "Save To" it exports it in JPG.

I feel it's a little over-exposed. It was really sunny (I used an ND-8 filter, ISO 100 etc) and the front of the house looks glary in the white.

I tried using a radial brush to dial down the brightness of the white house front but it just looked too gray then

I also used the colors section to see if I could find white and tone that down but oddly white didn't show in the list of colors

In some of the tutorials I've read people say the HSL sliders are a key thing but I can't find that in my version - or maybe I'm going blind.

Any thoughts and general guidance on it would be great guys.

Thanks - Ro

Attachments

• DJI_0911.jpg
    DJI_0911.jpg
    9.8 MB · Views: 12
Unfortunately if the whites are too blown out, the "information" need to alter isn't there. In the RAW file, you can try to pull the highlight slider all the way to the left
Thanks for the info. I see what you mean. I'll try that re the highlight slider and will let you know.
Thanks Ro

I had a quick play with that pic, but detail is gone. Perhaps the raw will enable you to get it out.

Range masking on a radial filter using the luma option.

..but as others have said, if the highlights are blown there's no real scope for recovery. The limited dynamic range of the sensor means its quite common for white objects to get blown out.

Edit: Lightroom 2 ?!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka