DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lightroom lens correction.What do you use?

offtheback

Reactions
I find that the built in profile leaves a bit of distortion in the M2P.Especially in distant views with a distinct horizon.Is anyone using other lens profile corrections or setting up a custom profile?

I find that the built in profile leaves a bit of distortion in the M2P.Especially in distant views with a distinct horizon.Is anyone using other lens profile corrections or setting up a custom profile?

Lightroom has a DJI lens correction option. Not sure how it can correct for all DJI cameras!

offtheback: as you have found, the best built-in profile is for the Mavic Pro v1 unfortunately not specific to the lens on the M2P. However, it mostly works for me. **

Have you tried the distortion slider at the bottom of the Lens Correction panel to straighten the horizon?

Chris

** that is, with the default LR install. If someone has made a profile for the M2P, I hope they share it here.

offtheback: as you have found, the best built-in profile is for the Mavic Pro v1 unfortunately not specific to the lens on the M2P. However, it mostly works for me. **

Have you tried the distortion slider at the bottom of the Lens Correction panel to straighten the horizon?

Chris

** that is, with the default LR install. If someone has made a profile for the M2P, I hope they share it here.
Thanks.I find you need to assign a profile other than built in to make that slider visible.Am I doing something wrong?When thr built in profile is left selected the slider doesn't work.

Thanks.I find you need to assign a profile other than built in to make that slider visible.Am I doing something wrong?When thr built in profile is left selected the slider doesn't work.

For me, the vignette slider is grayed out, but the distortion slider worked. it didn't do a lot, but it works.

What’s interesting is in LR Classic and CRAW there is a separate manual correction pane in the lens correction panel but not in LR as far as I can see. This must be an oversight in LR. I have to tell you I’m trying to switch over to this new LR from LR Classic cause I like the cloud storage part but I keep running into these little things like this LR is missing.

@offtheback if you open your DNGs with CRAW instead of LR you manually adjust distortion without having to discard the built in profile.

All the normal adjustments will be greyed out if you use the default lens profile as it's seen as a mirrorless camera and that is how all mirrorless camera work, as the lens exif data is embedded in the file. LR's correction is just reading the info off the file. If I use LR, which most times I don't as I prefer C1, I will pick the profile for the older Phantom's as I believe that will allow the sliders previously mentioned to work, I believe you can pull up the profile for the 20MP Phantom camera, but it's been a while since I used LR. If you use C1, you will have the same issue, i.e. C1 will pull up the default exif lens info and thus not allow for manual corrections, but it's very easy in C1 to assign a different lens and camera profile.
LR usually corrects the curved horizon issues for me, even when I am aiming up with 3/4 sky. My issue with LR is it doesn't allow for the same corrections for sharpness towards the edge of the frames, (at least for me) on the MP2 or P4 and I have found much better corrections with C1albeit mostly manual.

Paul C

All the normal adjustments will be greyed out if you use the default lens profile as it's seen as a mirrorless camera and that is how all mirrorless camera work, as the lens exif data is embedded in the file. LR's correction is just reading the info off the file. If I use LR, which most times I don't as I prefer C1, I will pick the profile for the older Phantom's as I believe that will allow the sliders previously mentioned to work, I believe you can pull up the profile for the 20MP Phantom camera, but it's been a while since I used LR. If you use C1, you will have the same issue, i.e. C1 will pull up the default exif lens info and thus not allow for manual corrections, but it's very easy in C1 to assign a different lens and camera profile.
LR usually corrects the curved horizon issues for me, even when I am aiming up with 3/4 sky. My issue with LR is it doesn't allow for the same corrections for sharpness towards the edge of the frames, (at least for me) on the MP2 or P4 and I have found much better corrections with C1albeit mostly manual.

Paul C
Thanks so much for the insights!

Paul C
See what I am saying is that in Camera Raw in Photoshop or also in Light Room Classic you can keep the built in lens profile and then tweak it how you wish with manual lens correction tools. I assume anyone with LR CC also has access to these programs as well. This way you don't have to choose between using the default profile and manual adjustments. I have so far not been able to find these adjustments in LR CC
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 2.26.30 PM.png
With these tools you also have a greater ability to correct the distortion than with what is in LR CC.

Also with any of the Adobe Raw editors (LR CC, LR Classic, or CRAW) you can use a radial filter to adjust sharpness and noise at the edges of a frame.
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 2.37.57 PM.png
I understand we all have our programs that we prefer and I have wanted to explore C1 myself, but I just wanted to point out this is quite easy to do in Adobe as well.

(I'm assuming that by CRAW, you mean Camera Raw, which I mostly see people call ACR.)

Anybody that has LR CC installed probably has the basic Photographer's package along with PS. If so, then you likely also have Bridge installed (if not, you can with the Adobe CC app). With Bridge, you can select a photo (or multiple), right-click and select "Open in Camera Raw"). This might be the easiest way to distinguish ACR as being separate from the main, better-known Adobe apps (PS / LR).

If there's another way of opening ACR, I'm not aware of it. But ACR is the same in all Adobe apps (as I know it: in PS from the Filters menu, from Bridge as described above, and the Develop module in LR is basically ACR). There's only one installation of ACR for all Adobe apps.

There are some minor differences in ACR depending on where you launch it from, but in respect to Lens Correction, there really shouldn't be a difference between them.

Yes?

Reactions: brett8883
(I'm assuming that by CRAW, you mean Camera Raw, which I mostly see people call ACR.)

Anybody that has LR CC installed probably has the basic Photographer's package along with PS. If so, then you likely also have Bridge installed (if not, you can with the Adobe CC app). With Bridge, you can select a photo (or multiple), right-click and select "Open in Camera Raw"). This might be the easiest way to distinguish ACR as being separate from the main, better-known Adobe apps (PS / LR).

If there's another way of opening ACR, I'm not aware of it. But ACR is the same in all Adobe apps (as I know it: in PS from the Filters menu, from Bridge as described above, and the Develop module in LR is basically ACR). There's only one installation of ACR for all Adobe apps.

There are some minor differences in ACR depending on where you launch it from, but in respect to Lens Correction, there really shouldn't be a difference between them.

Yes?
ACR is my preferred way to abbreviate it too but it seems many people on this forum use CRAW so I was just conforming to that standard but yes we are talking about the same thing.

I wouldn’t think there should be a difference between them but there is.

I believe that “ACR” is shared between PS and Bridge. I can find no differences between these two programs but LR Classic and LR CC are different programs from ACR even though they likely share some resources with ACR. My observation seems to be backed up by release notes for ACR
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 3.23.08 PM.png

There are only subtle differences between the develop module in LR Classic and ACR but there are differences. However, LR CC is has a very different GUI and missing some key features of ACR and LR Classic. This is why I differentiate between them. I agree that I'm sure they share resources but LR CC is very different and the lens correction module of LR CC is missing the "manual" lens correction submodule that is in ACR and LR Classic.

Look at this same photo in LR CC and ACR. Both have the distortion correction to its maximum limit yet look at how different they are.
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 3.39.26 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 3.44.33 PM.jpg
I believe the Lens Correction module in LR CC is the same module that is in the "profile" submodule in ACR/LR Classic. There are distortion and vignetting sliders in both the "profile" and "manual" submodules in ACR but they don't do much on the "profile" submodule just like in LR CC.
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 3.47.27 PM.png
LR CC is missing the more powerful distortion and vignetting sliders that are in the manual submodule of ACR and LR Classic hence my suggestion to use ACR either through PS or Bridge or LR Classic to manually fix barrel distortion since it has these more powerful sliders. To boot you can save settings as a preset so you can reuse that setting with new photos. Heck I haven't tried this but might even be possible to import that preset to LR CC

Reactions: GadgetGuy
If there's another way of opening ACR, I'm not aware of it. But ACR is the same in all Adobe apps (as I know it: in PS from the Filters menu
If you open a DNG (or any RAW photo) with photoshop it will first open it in ACR. You can save the adjustments you have made back to the DNG or open the photo into PS which then rasterizes it.

I use DxO Photolab 3, which has a lens correction module for the Mavic 2 Pro and zoom cameras. Not tried them as yet but if the results for my Canon lenses is anything to go by it will be very good.

I use DxO Photolab 3, which has a lens correction module for the Mavic 2 Pro and zoom cameras. Not tried them as yet but if the results for my Canon lenses is anything to go by it will be very good.

I used to use DXO and Lightroom, but now Lightroom has lens correction.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder