DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Link issues in 2.4GHz - Mavic 2 pro

cyril

Reactions
Hello folks :)

I have a Mavic 2 Pro since two and a half years, I have done a lot of flights with this quad without issue, until last week. I did not crash the quad, no firmware update lately, nothing changed from the previous (successful) flights.

Here is the problem : I have trouble to connect my smart controller to the drone, even 1 foot apart : the link starts then stops (no signal) every 3 seconds, then starts again. Impossible to fly in this condition. I tried with my (long forgotten) original remote : same issue. I tried at home and in open field (no interference), it makes no difference. I refreshed all firmwares with assistant app (on the bird, the smart controller and the original remote), no difference. I re-linked the bird with the remotes, no improvement.

Finally, I found out that when I manually switch the link to 5.8GHz, everything is working fine. I get 12 Mbps bitrate, clear image, no interruption. When I switch back to 2.4GHz or dual, the problem starts again.

I opened the bottom cover & checked if everything looked ok : I have 2 antennas plugged in the main board (one with a white cable and one with black cable, U.FL connectors). I tried to disconnect each one of those and connect a small FPV antenna instead : no improvement.

Finally, I decided to check with a local DJI store, as the bird is out of guarantee they told me it's certainly the main board that is toasted (without looking at it), and I should buy a new one... Well, I'd rather fix the problem.

Any suggestion ? May it be the antennas in the front legs ?

Thanks !

Do you have the 2.4ghz issue when you use the original remote, does this combination work on 5.8ghz ?
When you use the original remote, what version of DJI Go4 are you running on the phone/tablet, is it android or IOS ?
Are the versions of DJI Go4 the same between the phone and smart controller ?
Have you tried down grading the DJI Go4 to an earlier version on the phone / tablet ?

Are you using an amplified antenna set-up by any chance ?

Do you have the 2.4ghz issue when you use the original remote, does this combination work on 5.8ghz ?
When you use the original remote, what version of DJI Go4 are you running on the phone/tablet, is it android or IOS ?
Are the versions of DJI Go4 the same between the phone and smart controller ?
Have you tried down grading the DJI Go4 to an earlier version on the phone / tablet ?

Are you using an amplified antenna set-up by any chance ?
Thanks for your help :)

Same behaviour with smart controller & original remote : working fine on 5.8Ghz, not at all on 2.4Ghz (or dual).

I have the last version of DJI Go on each device (updated all, but not sure of the version number). The smart remote is android version of DJI go, and I use the original remote with an IOS device.

I will try to downgrade DJI go on my iPhone (not sure how to do that).

Finally, all my equipment is on stock setup, I have no third party antenna amplifier.

Did you ever resolve this issue....
I read this post with much interest, I also didnt use my M2 Zoom for a few months, then i had severe antenna and disconnect issues when I tried to fly. I tried in different locations and even tried my friends M2 which worked perfectly. I contacted DJI support and was given the details of DJI Service agent here in Thailand. They initially repaired the drone and sent it back. But the issue was even worse, now they have quoted $1000+ to replace the Core Board. I too dont understand why my Core Board would fail through lack of use.

Many thanks, something is going on here as it seems a common problem. No crashes, however the drone was stored for a few months and didn't work after. At the moment it is with the recommended (by DJI) service centre in Bangkok. But they say the Core Board needs replacing - quote $1000+ WHAT!$^^&!
DJI Headquarters are investigating the quote - all very slow though. Waiting 3 months now....

Many thanks, something is going on here as it seems a common problem. No crashes, however the drone was stored for a few months and didn't work after. At the moment it is with the recommended (by DJI) service centre in Bangkok. But they say the Core Board needs replacing - quote $1000+ WHAT!$^^&!
DJI Headquarters are investigating the quote - all very slow though. Waiting 3 months now....
This is very interesting. This is a problem that is being reported with a wide range of DJI birds - 2.4ghz dropouts: but 5.8ghz gives a clear transmission. Mavic 2 Zoom owner. Flew exclusively on 2.4ghz for over three years and absolutely no problems, no dropouts, no live-feed block artefacts. signal strength meter rock-solid on 5 bars. Mavic used quite regularly, but not that much: only ever flew when I wanted to grab specific shots. About 6 months ago: I took it out in the countryside (well away from wifi noise) and it dropped connection within 30 feet of the controller. Since upgrading to firmware .0770 I have had nothing but trouble with the transmission strength.

Tried everything... and I mean EVERYTHING... to get it to fly as reliably as it used to: but no joy. Tried the usual tack: DJI forum and customer service (there's an oxymoron if ever I've heard one) and all I get is "wiggle your antennas" or "point the antennas directly at the drone". Please... as if I don't know how to use the controller by now... Can't roll back the firmware to the last good configuration (thanks for that DJI) so the only way I can now have any degree of confidence in flying this £1,100 drone is if I manually set the frequency to 5.8ghz and even then I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof: a bag of nerves.

It's interesting to note that this isn't the only Mavic owner who has been told the main-board is "toast" and that they need to buy a new drone. What's even more fascinating is the fact that there are still 2013 Phantoms out there and in the air with rock-solid connections. If I were paranoid: I'd now be wondering if a little bit of firmware code is persuading older Mavics to act up. What a way to boost sales of a new model eh? don't simply brick the older birds, just make them so unreliable that their owners bin them.

The next thing that gets blamed is the proliferation of 2.4ghz wireless/bluetooth devices/internet routers. If that was the case: why didn't my Mavic start playing up last year? Why did it only throw a wobble after the .0770 update? More to the point: why did DJI specifically boost the transmission signal with firmware .0670?... and here's the best one: Why does my Mavic still give me a lousy 2.4ghz connection when I'm half way up the back end of beyond: so far away from humanity that you can't see town lights at night?

"...Date: 2020.07.07
Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.0670
DJI GO 4 App iOS: v4.3.37
DJI GO 4 App Android: v4.3.36
What’s New?
Increased operating time of remote controller when using in low-temperature environments.
Updated auto discharge default settings to two days.
Fixed occasional issue: gimbal was unbalanced after self-check. Use gimbal auto-calibration in DJI GO 4 to fix this issue.
Fixed issue: obstacle avoidance switch was unavailable when using MSDK.
Increased the maximum transmission distance: 10 km (FCC), 6 km (CE/MIC/SRRC)...."

Last edited:
Did you ever resolve this issue....
I read this post with much interest, I also didnt use my M2 Zoom for a few months, then i had severe antenna and disconnect issues when I tried to fly. I tried in different locations and even tried my friends M2 which worked perfectly. I contacted DJI support and was given the details of DJI Service agent here in Thailand. They initially repaired the drone and sent it back. But the issue was even worse, now they have quoted $1000+ to replace the Core Board. I too dont understand why my Core Board would fail through lack of use.
Sorry - just this second noticed the "...tried my friends M2 and it worked fine." I wonder if their M2 was on the earlier firmware and yours was on the latest upgrade?

Same issue here. Very weak signal with 2.4Ghz.
One owner reported that his issue was resolved by replacing the RC.

Hi,
Same issue here.
Mavic 2 pro.
In 2.4ghz or Dual, I get "rc signal lost" after 1 meter between AC and RC.

I've tried all the tips, upgrade, downgrade without success.
I binded my RC with another AC (same issue) and my AC with another RC (no issue).
I probably have a burned 2.4ghz part of mainboard.

Now everytime I turn on, I have to switch in Menu HD to fixed 5.8 ghz frequency mode. This is is true for 3rd part apps to, like drone deploy.

The problem is that when flying in this condition, if the AC enter in RTH mode, the frequency will automatically be switched to Dual frequency mode and the AC will return all the way back home without link with your RC. I believe this occur because some native firmware security rule.

So you have to be careful, because not all obstacles can be avoided or overpassed by the Vision System when in RTH, in this case you can lost your AC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair