DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Linking and Binding Aircraft to RC

Hiwayman

Reactions
What is the difference between linking and Binding? My Mini 2 has several flights on it now, and today I got a message on screen to bind it to RC for flyaway cover.
Is binding reversible?

What is the difference between linking and Binding? My Mini 2 has several flights on it now, and today I got a message on screen to bind it to RC for flyaway cover.
Is binding reversible?
I am new to drones (Mavic Air 2) and did this 'binding' thing yesterday. The best I can say is when you 'link' to the drone, you just make it so the controller sees the drone and the drone sees the controller and you can go fly it. My understanding of 'binding' is your drone will not work with any controller except the one that you are using. The one helpful thing about this is if you lose the drone for any reason such as it crashed and you can't find it or it just flew away or somebody stole it, somebody somewhere will find it and try to fly it if they can find a controller. They won't be able to fly it because it is bound (binded?) to your controller and will not recognize another controller. As to whether it is reversible, I do not know but my guess is probably not. Now that I have probably totally messed up your mind, there will be another person soon who will tell it to you the right way.

Cash
As to whether it is reversible, I do not know but my guess is probably not.

It is indeed reversible. There is an "unbind" option in the menu. (otherwise everything else you said was correct)

Reactions: Hiwayman
I am new to drones (Mavic Air 2) and did this 'binding' thing yesterday. The best I can say is when you 'link' to the drone, you just make it so the controller sees the drone and the drone sees the controller and you can go fly it. My understanding of 'binding' is your drone will not work with any controller except the one that you are using. The one helpful thing about this is if you lose the drone for any reason such as it crashed and you can't find it or it just flew away or somebody stole it, somebody somewhere will find it and try to fly it if they can find a controller. They won't be able to fly it because it is bound (binded?) to your controller and will not recognize another controller. As to whether it is reversible, I do not know but my guess is probably not. Now that I have probably totally messed up your mind, there will be another person soon who will tell it to you the right way.
Thank you...that certainly helps.

Cash

It is indeed reversible. There is an "unbind" option in the menu. (otherwise everything else you said was correct)
Thank you.....but just to confirm ( this may be a stupid question)..if you then lost or damage the controller....are you completely screwed?
I also wonder if this feature to bind the aircraft to the RC is unique to the fly app...I don't recall any option to do this with the Go4 app for the M2P..

Last edited:
A question, if a controller and drone are bound under this new thing and the controller dies or is lost etc. what happens with the drone?
I can see "unbinding" work when the controller is available and the drone is lost but when the controller is lost etc. ...............

Thank you.....but just to confirm ( this may be a stupid question)..if you then lost or damage the controller....are you completely screwed?
I also wonder if this feature to bind the aircraft to the RC is unique to the fly app...I don't recall any option to do this with the Go4 app for the M2P..

It doesn't bind to the controller, but to your DJI account. As long as your device is logged into the same DJI account, there won't be an issue. And if you want to sell the drone, you just unbind it first.

@Hiwayman by binding it you are as @dawgpilot said letting DJI know that that drone is yours ,and if it flew away or was lost then if someone found it even if they had a similar drone then they would not be able to get another controller to bind to it and try to fly it,its part of the process for the new care refresh replacement service without having a drone to send back ,

Thank you OMM ... aircraft is now bound.
Am I right in thinking it was not promoted for the M2P on Go4 ?
@Hiwayman by binding it you are as @dawgpilot said letting DJI know that that drone is yours ,and if it flew away or was lost then if someone found it even if they had a similar drone then they would not be able to get another controller to bind to it and try to fly it,its part of the process for the new care refresh replacement service without having a drone to send back ,
Thank you OMM.... aircraft is now bound.
I don't recall this on my M2P ...?

Well given time frame and using some simple math the answer is evident. This is a add on feature added for the Care refresh program just this week to replace lost aircraft as part of that insurance. As any aircraft flying the Go 4 App supports is over 2 years old...which means no Care Refresh...there is no need to include it. Pretty simple when you put the puzzle of the matrix together. ;)

as @Repaid1 this is a very recent addition to the care refresh package and is optional

Well given time frame and using some simple math the answer is evident. This is a add on feature added for the Care refresh program just this week to replace lost aircraft as part of that insurance. As any aircraft flying the Go 4 App supports is over 2 years old...which means no Care Refresh...there is no need to include it. Pretty simple when you put the puzzle of the matrix together. ;)
I'd agree with you ....apart from me currently having care refresh on both my M2Ps ?

I'd agree with you ....apart from me currently having care refresh on both my M2Ps ?
I also am a recent M2Z owner and had I opted for Care Refresh..I guess I would be in the same boat...so given that I retract my statement and DJI will probably throw it in next Release. ;) Or not :p

My rational is being tested today as I am helping about 20 members posting some weird stuff currently (and that is putting it mildly) and I realize we all started new at some point... Some of it , if I may say...makes me wonder why they are even trying to fly a drone in the first place...but I digress...I just check to make sure they don't live close to me :eek::oops:

Last edited:
@Hiwayman and @Repaid1 hi guys just had a look on the DJI web site and i believe you can add it to you current drones, if they have already got care refresh in place, by using a similar scheme to obtaining the refresh package, after the 48 hour window on first registration

@Hiwayman and @Repaid1 hi guys just had a look on the DJI web site and i believe you can add it to you current drones, if they have already got care refresh in place, by using a similar scheme to obtaining the refresh package, after the 48 hour window on first registration
I don't bother with Care refresh, but good info (But did they have replacement cost for M2 series listed?)...I will assume then that it will come with a new update shortly then...so that it will cancel aircraft binding.

Reactions: old man mavic
I don't bother with Care refresh, but good info (But did they have replacement cost for M2 series listed?)...I will assume then that it will come with a new update shortly then...so that it will cancel aircraft binding.
i did not look at the individual prices for replacement of the different drones, but the M2P and My MPP were included in the list of products that could benefit from it ,there were also hand held gimbals on the list as well

I’m in a bind myself.
I bought a mavic air 2 from eBay and the seller did not unbind the drone before sending it. He lives in the other side of the country.

what should I do?

I’m in a bind myself.
I bought a mavic air 2 from eBay and the seller did not unbind the drone before sending it. He lives in the other side of the country.

what should I do?
Contac the seller and tell him HE has a problem. It is up to him to fix it. I'm sure there will be more answers to this by people more on the ball than I am. Good luck to you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOM112