DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi and Mavic air - Erratic gimbal movement

PeteRepeat

Reactions
First flight using Litchi and POI. I had a mission where I drew a circle in google earth around a friends house at a high altitude to circle his house. Then exported it as a kml file and imported into litchi. Removed half the waypoints and added a home and return point... All waypoints "heading" looked right. All waypoints "gimbal angle" were set to "Focus POI" where the POI was my friends house... While the circling of his house seem quite good, the gimbal angle goes a little erratic at times. Nothing like I expected. I have posted this on the litchi facebook group as well.

Do I upload a youtube link and upload the mission somewhere? What is the usual procedure here for advice?

Last edited:
Same theme -
A) RC must be in contact with aircraft at all times-
B) A Video will show the problem - (Maybe 10 seconds of the worst stuff)
C) where possible use interpolate rather than POI
D) If its a Fixed circle and the POI is in the Centre - then its probable that all Points will Point down at a fixed angle -
E) Keep it simple - Use a fixed Angle if there is a possibility of no Change required - in the interpolate Box

If the Shots require POI as you move Past them then its fine - as long as STRONG RC Signal -
Your Phone (RC) sends commands regarding Pitch angle when interpolating not the drone …

Hope this helps

Reactions: PeteRepeat
If the Shots require POI as you move Past them then its fine - as long as STRONG RC Signal -
Your Phone (RC) sends commands regarding Pitch angle when interpolating not the drone
Ahh this makes sense. The flight is on the edge of an area where I get the interference warning and drop of frame rates on the monitor. I can set the gimbal as the altitude doesn't change and is a perfect circle with the house in the centre. So Im sensing I need to do this at a waypoint where I have good reception? This is a little bit of a hindrance for this mission but assume this is a limitation of

The erratic gimbal movement is one of two very significant Litchi performance issues. The close gimbal control as you pass over or around the POI completely relies on the signal strength from the controller to the aircraft. This is unfortunate, since I use Litchi to get the drone accurately to a more distant Point of Interest, but because it is at that distance, the signal strength reduces. (You can see this in www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXAHTNJ9704 - there are unmitigated gimbal movements as the flight progresses).

(The second issue does at least have a warning from Litchi: good radio strength is also required for speed changes. This is why Litchi will tell you that if you slow down too much over your distant target AND lose signal strength, your drone may not get home... it will remain at its reduced speed and possibly run out of power on the Return to Home protocol.)

Looks like I best read the Litchi manual then. That statement stating that reception is needed for speed change is a big one.

So speed and gimbal controls come from the controller/phone.

Looks like I best read the Litchi manual then. That statement stating that reception is needed for speed change is a big one.

So speed and gimbal controls come from the controller/phone.

Id rather say Gimbal PITCH and speed come from the RC and Phn (if requiring amendment)-

..and...

the drone will know the Waypoint Altitude, Heading and Co-ords

However VLM (virtual Litchi Mission may Help) by simulating the Look - ...

ALSO
If you expect to be out of range - ...
Then KNOW where that happens - and Plan for it....

The RULE is - the Drone will maintain the LAST COMMAND Received - if this is where it goes out of range, it should hold gimbal pitch and speed - THE SAME - until it receives a New and different RC command that changes these.

(Its safe tho besides these - The drone will know the 3D Route and Headings)

ie - If you know it will be at out of range from WayPoint 20 - 30 out of 40x WP''s - THEN set WP20 = W21 = …. = W30 for Same SPEED say 45KM/HR, and same Pitch like -30 (on interpolate)

Id Rather Keep it faster when out of range

That's the trick - Then All's good !

Last edited:
Reactions: Butterfly Copper
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member