DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

droneofarc

Reactions
Is the litchi app worth the money? What is the difference between it and DJI GO 4 app?

Even though I have not yet flown with Litchi I purchased it after seeing so many positive reviews and watching YouTube videos.

The ease of doing way points and points of interest and the ability to interface with Google Earth with the ability to pre-fly your mission is what intrigued me.

Here are two YT videos I feel explain the way point feature very well

Litchi Waypoint Tutorial Part 1

Litchi Waypoint Tutorial Part 2

Whether it's worth the money to you depends on how well you fly and what you want to achieve.

Flying is secondary to me; I am mainly interested in the film or pictures I can get. My "enjoyment' of flying is tempered by a large amount of fear, both of losing my investment, and the damage my drone could do if mishandled.

Litchi helps with both of those fears - I made a brief film about my growth in confidence that explains this (www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXAHTNJ9704). Litchi Waypoints keep risk-taking to a minimum, and (almost) guarantee a return to home if you invest time in planning and rehearsing your flight.

In the year and a half since I bought Litchi, I have flown with DJI GO4 just one time, and have, since, completely removed it from my phone. Fewer than 5% of my flights are way-point missions, but I like having a single app that works the same with my Mavics and Sparks. I have never regretted purchasing Litchi.

I have been using Litchi since it has come out. It is a fantastic app if you enjoy preplanning your flights and checking them on Google Earth. I only fly the Go app to adjust all settings then close that and fire up Litchi. Have never had a problem with any of my flights.

Litchi is OK but not a patch on Autopilot. If you want smooth curved paths for video, Litchi seems quite useless whereas Autopilot does very smooth video capture throughout. Having said all this, in my experience, there is little substitute for learning to fly the drone manually, especially if you have a Spotter. Its tricky coordinating all the controls but worth the effort.

Reactions: droneofarc
I guess it comes down to which features you're looking for and which operating system you use.
HERE is a link to an old (May 07, 2016) article in Drone Life comparing various apps.

Litchi is OK but not a patch on Autopilot. If you want smooth curved paths for video, Litchi seems quite useless whereas Autopilot does very smooth video capture throughout. Having said all this, in my experience, there is little substitute for learning to fly the drone manually, especially if you have a Spotter. Its tricky coordinating all the controls but worth the effort.

You have to use curve waypoints.
Curve waypoints were used on the mission I posted.

Agreed, learn to fly.
Use Litchi for missions and other features that make even a Spark have that is not stock features.

Really enjoyed your video. You not only accomplish your flight, you capture your fright and overcome it. Great sense of humor too!

Really enjoyed your video. You not only accomplish your flight, you capture your fright and overcome it. Great sense of humor too!

Thanks.
It took a long time to get to that level of confidence.

OT: Here was my second autonomous flight with a home made quad:
All a guess - didn't even have FPV at the time.
Lost signal about 1/2 way there and since this was my first long distance mission, look for a white car in the shots :D

Reactions: RodPad
...and when you miscalculate Litchi:
All info in the description.

This is yours? I saw this flight a few weeks ago when I was on Litchi Hub looking for another place to plan a mission! In fact, I'm seriously considering this very spot.

Reactions: pmshop
Over the last 4 years, I've found Litchi to be a fantastic program. For me, so far on my Phantom 4 Pro, it's been utterly reliable and flies the same course with great accuracy, mission after mission. Over that period, over a hundred flights, not a single glitch. I still prefer DJI Go for non-mission photography and for FPV, but if I have a flight that requires video, Litchi is all I use. I'm still auditing it for use with my Mavic2 Pro and my new Smart Controller (had to buy it again for the Android version:mad: ), but so far, so good......

Reactions: VegasFlyer
Over the last 4 years, I've found Litchi to be a fantastic program. For me, so far on my Phantom 4 Pro, it's been utterly reliable and flies the same course with great accuracy, mission after mission. Over that period, over a hundred flights, not a single glitch. I still prefer DJI Go for non-mission photography and for FPV, but if I have a flight that requires video, Litchi is all I use. I'm still auditing it for use with my Mavic2 Pro and my new Smart Controller (had to buy it again for the Android version:mad: ), but so far, so good......

Another benefit to using Litchi is comparing two different drones using the exact same parameters. A little over a week ago, I purchased a Mavic 2 Pro and two days ago I flew a mission that I had flown with my P4 the previous week. You can't do that flying manually. I wanted to compare the video between the two using the exact same terrain.

Yeah, I had to buy 2 copies of Litchi, too, but it was worth it. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS